Red Mesa Grill

Contact 231-938-2773

1544 US 31 N, Traverse City, Michigan, USA, 49686

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has separate vegan, vegetarian and gluten free menus available on request. Full bar with happy hour Mon-Sun 3-7pm. Offers a frequent diner club program. Wi-fi. Located one-half mile east of the state park. Mon-Sat 11:00am-4:00pm, Mon-Sat 4:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by ShawnMcElmurry

not what you'd expect... - Edit

The best thing about this place is the wide variety of hot sauces you can try. However, for Mexican food, it is only mediocre at best... So much potential and great location plus disappointing food equals 2 stars- and we've eaten here on several occasions.

Vegetable Farro Burrito - Edit

You have to specifically ask for a veg/vegan menu, but it's also specifically states on the regular menu. TONS of options for vegans! If I lived in the area, this would be a frequently attended restaurant.

Several veggie options - Edit

They have a separate vegetarian / vegan menu. Although we could not determine if the cheeses have rennet, the wait staff was very helpful and accommodating; they brought us all the packages so we could see for ourselves (just "enzymes" were listed). We enjoyed two tasty vegan dishes. The tortilla chips were made in house and fried in a separate fryer from non-veg items. The house-made salsa was also really tasty.

Pros: Great staff, Separate veg menu / careful preparation, Fresh and tasty

Cons: Could not verify if cheeses have rennet

Great food with plenty of veg options. - Edit

First time at Red Mesa was great even with it being a busy holiday weekend. Food was delivered hot, and we'll before we expected it considering how busy the restaurant was. Had the pineapple quesadilla as an appetizer, then the vegetable quinoa burrito. Excellent flavors! Wife enjoyed the fajitas, which was way more than either of us could eat. Price was in line with what we usually spend on a date night. Will be back when in the area.

Pros: Separate vegetarian and vegan menu. Fresh flavors

Cons: None to mention

Great for plant based eaters - Edit

This restaurant was such a great surprise! I had the streamed vegetable burrito, my husband had the Quinoa burrito and my son had a black bean taco. Everything was fresh and delicious. I so appreciated a restaurant with an actual vegan menu. And the best part was how healthy everything was. If one of your reasons for eating a vegan diet is to improve your health, this restaurant is a great option.

Pros: separate menu, healthy vegan options, very helpful

Cons: none

Very Vegan Friendly - Edit

How often do you find a separate menu for vegetarians and vegans? This is one of the few. Additionally, they source many of their ingredients locally, make their own tortilla chips and even make their own sour mix (huge selection of tequila). All of this makes for a delicious meal in a very family friendly environment. My wife and I tried the black bean enchiladas and the mushroom enchiladas - both were very good. The corn tortillas were perfect and we both appreciated the fresh side of steamed veggies that accompanied the enchiladas. And finally, the house (i.e. casa) margarita was very good and the cherry margarita was exceptional. A great restaurant for any palate but a wonderful restaurant for vegans. Enjoy!

Pros: separate vegan menu, good selection, fresh and local

Cons: guacamole is not vegan, not spicy

Return to Traverse City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Mesa Grill closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1942 times since Jul 2013.