Red Lion at Pickmere

Park Lane, Pickmere, Knutsford, England, WA16 0JX

Serves meat, vegan options available. Country gastro pub with labeled vegan dishes including vegan fish & chips; can make a few other dishes vegan on request. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Beer/Wine, British, Non-veg

First Review by RJS

Not the Lion's Share. - Edit

There seems to be a black-hole when it comes to places that are listed with vegan choices in this area at the moment, so I thought it about time to give one of them a pop. We ordered the vegan fish (tofu) and chips, and the vegetable stack burger, with a side salad. I was hoping I could mash two items on the menu together and have houmous on a jacket potato, but they were out of houmous! (My inside vegan was screaming, how COULD they not have houmous! For shame, haha).

The meal arrive quickly, and it was fair enough, if not dear for what you got. The tofu was just that, but deep-fried, it could have done with some nori to give it some flavour as it wasn’t seasoned, at all. I also found it a bit odd that they used silken tofu for this dish, it feels a bit like that time most of us have experienced early on in the tofu game; getting confused with firm silken, and firm. My vegetable stack came in a brioche style bun, which had me a little concerned, so I chose to play it safe with my allergy and leave it. This basically left me with a place of chips and some veg which amounted to just under a tenner, not that the bun made up for that. It has to be said however, it’s been ages since I’ve had chips and they were really tasty!

The atmosphere was really lively, and despite it being 4:30pm on a Friday, there wouldn’t have been space for us if we hadn’t booked, so keep that in mind if you’re planning a visit.

I’m thrilled that a pub like this is offering several vegan options, I just feel they need a little more thought than whacking some veg in a bun and plain tofu in the fryer. (talking of which, we asked about the tofu, and the vegetables, and tofu are fried separate to the meat, but I’d ask yourself if you want to be sure).

Pros: Clearly labelled vegan options, Lively atmosphere, Nice interior.

Cons: Vegan food a bit lacklustre.

Not great at the Red Lion! - Edit

Felt pretty misled by the listing on Happy Cow for the Red Lion. Drove a fair way to take my mum out to lunch. Attracted by the promise of vegan options being made available in addition to what was already on the menu.
Actually there was 4 vegan options one of which was the house salad. Out of 44 listed meals!
I had the vegan stack burger was a series of slightly charred / grilled veggies (pepper, courgette, onion, field mushroom) placed inside a brioche bun.
Lacking in taste; presentation poor; accompanying chips not hot on arrival; side of steamed veg passable...!
Attitude from the watress; coffee so strong it was virtually undrinkable, (once diluted by 50% it was ok but very bitter) ...all in all I would say - AWFUL!
I don't like to complain. I would rather engage and encourage. But when at the point of paying the manager tried to divorce himself from the listing saying it "was nothing to do with him or the pub" I was tipped over the edge. I suggested he remove his listing if he is so disintetested in receiving vegan guests!
Missing a trick I would say.
Very disappointing!

Pros: Nice Decor!

Cons: See above.

Vegan Fish and Chips! - Edit

Country pub set in idyllic Cheshire village. Vegan options clearly marked on the menu. Great place, tasty traditional pub food well prepared.
The "Fish" is battered tofu served with chips and mushy peas.

Pros: Vegan Fish & Chips, Pub Garden, Setting

Cons: No Vegan Desert, Only accessible by car

Return to Knutsford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Lion at Pickmere closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.