Red

Contact +49-62219145206

Poststrasse 42 (at short work from Hauptstraße), Heidelberg, Germany, 69115

Red - Die grüne Küche roughly translates to "Red - The green kitchen/table." It's a mix of bar, take-away, buffet, and gourmet restaurant. Everyday there is a main dish for approx. 7€ and a colorful buffet. Waiters don't bring the food to the tables. Also offers pastry and freshly pressed juices. Vegan and allergy friendly options. Open Mon 11:30am-8:00pm, Tue-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Western, Buffet, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by turion

Great vegan options - Edit

Great vegan food, nice relaxed atmosphere, friendly staff. The salad bar offered us enough choice of warm and cold dishes, everything was tasty, satisfying our need for different flavors. Also there were vegan deserts. Highly recommended place. A bit pricy.

lot of choice - Edit

2/3 of the food is vegan I guess. I ate here two times and it was good. Unfortunatly there are far more cold than warm options for vegans.

Pros: lot of vegan options, nice place, lot of seats

Cons: far more cold than warm options

excellent - Edit

Just back from Fairfax joined the spreading good news happycow review! This restaurant is super good and offers fair and resonable food and prices! Like we get to now at Fairfax at Good Earth! Happy abpout this app that helped me to find it!

A great find - Edit

I was working in Heidelberg for a couple of days and, as usual, checked Happy Cow to find a local vegetarian restaurant.
Red is a buffet style place where you fill your plate and have it weighed.
I was a little confused at first because I don't speak German and couldn't see any indication of how it worked, whether it was table service or whatever.
Luckily the staff spoke English and explained it to me.
The food here was fantastic, with a range of delicious salads and hot food.
Most of it was vegan, and it was all clearly labelled.
The only bad thing was there was too much choice! I wanted to try everything.
If you are in the area definitey give this place a try.
The price was about €15 for a very loaded plate.

Pros: Choice, Excellent food

pleasantly surprised - Edit

Don't have much more to add than has already been written - pretty good food (and beer!) done buffet style. Overall a good place with an informal atmosphere. I was very pleased to find somewhere like this in a German city!
It's also next door to a CD/DVD store and a tattoo parlor.

Great buffet - Edit

They always do a buffet, so you have heaps of yummy options to choose from. All is vegetarian, labeled if vegan / gluten free. They also have cakes and desserts, also some vegan. I tried food from the buffet for the first time today, there were loads of vegan options and all was super yummy and healthy!

Pros: healthy, yummy, buffet

Cons: closed on Sundays

Lovely and Mostly Vegan - Edit

This restaurant has a different concept than most: it is buffet style. You help yourself to the very well marked vegan and vegetarian items, both hot and cold, and your plate is weighed and you pay accordingly. My rough estimate is maybe 75% of the items are vegan. The place is very clean and appealing, and there is plenty of inside and outside seating. The vegan food I tried was varied and delicious, and very fresh. I loved the dessert options, and there were plenty of juices to choose from as well. It was lovely sitting outside and there was no one rushing us to leave. I would be thrilled to go back there any time. Warmly recommend!

Pros: Many vegan options, polite and helpful staff, lovely location

Lovely restaurant - Edit

This is a great restaurant, especially good for cold salads. The idea is that you get a plate, load up and then weight it to see the cost. Each salad tasted amazing by itself, even the spinach leaves. There were some hot foods as well, but I didn't have those. I then had fresh fruit for afters, and the mango tasted as good as it would for being flown around the world. The only thing is you must be careful not to spend lots of money by loading up too much!

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly

Cons: Busy, Can be expensive

Not for vegans - Edit

This place might or might not have good options for vegetarians (I wouldn't know) but for vegans it really is mediocre at best. The salads are fine but the choices of warm vegan food are limited to side dishes. It's all very expensive.
We tried the dish of the day (which is freshly prepared but not always vegan) once. The potatoes where half raw.
They have a very limited choice of vegan desserts too. They are good but the coffee isn't.

Pros: good salads, nice atmosphere

Cons: vegan options limited to side dishes

best vegetarian food in heidelberg - Edit

I really like this restaurant, the modern young style, the nice warm athmosphere and the really good food! There are always specials where they create new meals! ;) I always ask the cook whats new, and he tells me with a big smile about his new inventions!

Pros: vegetarian food, good quality , good service

Really tasty vegetarian food - Edit

Beautiful place; cosy, warm, friendly as well as fantastic food. The vegetarian meals are in the league of gourmet quality with lots of vegan choices. The food is prepared fresh in front of you really fascinating.
The athmosphere was really friendly and the owner also stopped by for a chat and was fascinated when she found out we had come especially from England due to Happy Cow. Overall, an excellent vegetarian establishment and once a very close contender for my top 10 of all time.

Pros: excellent food, good value, tasty

Superb find - Edit

Europe has some excellent vegetarian buffets, and this is one of the best. The choices are extensive (but not overwhelming), and everything was prepared superbly with a good mix of healthy and comfort food. The presentation is a delight. Enough variety to support several meals.

Pros: big selection, excellent preparation, very nice ambiance

Cons: pricey

Definitely check this out when you're around! - Edit

I ate here several times already and I was never disappointed. The salads are all very interesting and the warm buffet is great. Waiters are very friendly.

Pros: excellent, healthy, friendly

Cons: small choice of deserts, a bit expensive

Return to Heidelberg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3618 times since Aug 2010.