Red Dragon

+44-1914477787

4 Burrow St, Tyne and Wear, South Shields, England

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fine dining Chinese restaurant. Vegetarian is labeled. Under new management Apr 2017. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm.

Categories: Ovo, Chinese, Take-out, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by deadpledge

5 stars for North East vegans!! - Edit

I love the Red Dragon! I am a regular customer, the staff are very knowledgeable about what items are vegan and Doris is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She always makes sure we have a lovely meal. One of the best things about this place is you can request items on the menu that aren't vegan and they will make it vegan for you. Some of my favourite things on the menu...vegan chicken curry, giant vegetable spring rolls, vegan duck pancakes and cashew nut vegan chicken. In the past I've requested vegan chicken and sweetcorn soup and that's amazing too.

It's amazing to have a vegan Chinese restaurant/takeaway place in the North East. Highly recommend!! :)

Pros: Vegan Chicken / Vegan Duck / Vegan Cod

Year of the mock chicken! - Edit

I highly recommend this restaurant to any lovers of Chinese food - I visited based on word of mouth, vegans were allegedly well catered for!
First of all, the restaurant is beautifully decorated and the staff welcoming. Secondly, they are very knowledgable about the menu - they ask if you need help with the menu; tell them you're vegan and they'll point out what you can have (and very importantly what to avoid) and ask vegetarians if they're okay with eggs etc.
They also serve gluten free options.
The food was really very good, I recommend the banana fritters for dessert!
They also do takeaways, including delivery if you're lucky enough to live within a 3 mile radius!

Pros: Food lovely, Staff friendly and helpful, Beautiful decor

Cons: Not exclusively veggie/vegan

Mock meat extravaganza - Edit

My wife and I finally got round to trying out Red Dragon after reading that it served mock meat and we were not disappointed. Although the restaurant is just veg friendly, vegan options are a plenty including mock chicken, duck and cod fillet in a variety of sauces. We decided to order the hot and sour soup (£3.50) and vegetable spring rolls (£2.75) to start, followed by veg chicken in black bean sauce (£7.25) and veg chicken in satay sauce (£7.25) with a side of salt and pepper chips (£4.25). The meal was exquisite and the use of seitan is a joy to behold, so much texture and flavour. We also got banana fritters for dessert, which were 100% vegan. All in all a fantastic meal. We have also ordered takeways from Red Dragon and the food is just as consistent and delicious as it is at the restaurant. When you dine at Red Dragon or order for a takeaway please indicate you are vegan and you will be well looked after. Easily the best Chinese restaurant in the North East.

Pros: Vegan options, Fantastic food, Friendly staff

Cons: Serves meat

Return to South Shields Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Dragon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.