CLOSED: Red Door Kitchen and Bar

773-697-7221

2118 N Damen Ave (at Armitage), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60647

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers a 4-course vegan chef's tasting menu every Tuesday called Trade Off Tuesday that changes weekly. Also serves designated veggie dishes including starters and entrees on its regular dinner menu. Chef grows a patio garden in the summer which he uses to create vegan and veggie dishes. Other produce is local. Has a cozy, casual bar atmosphere. In the warm weather months, a full city lot patio available for seating. Chef is a former vegetarian and builds his dishes with plant based ingredients only; no faux meats. Wi-fi. Confirmed closed January 2017.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by makemenervous

Vegan Tuesday's - Edit

The vegan tasting menu is NO LONGER offered every Tuesday. They still do it but it seems to be on the Chef's whim. So definitely call ahead.

That said, this place has a decent selection for vegetarians (hello ricotta gnocchi !) and 2 or 3 vegan menu items like a mushroom risotto or kale salad.

Vegan Tuesdays - Edit

I had seen that Red Door hosts a vegan prix fixe meal each Tuesday and went with my family to take them up on the offer. The menu is seasonal, so what was posted on their website was not available the night we dined and the prices were also different ($35 rather than $29).

I was disappointed that we had to ask for the separate vegan menu for two reasons. For starters, it was a Tuesday special so it would be awesome if they encouraged everyone to join in on the vegan deal and also because the entire restaurant was manned by one waitress and it took a good 10 minutes just to get her back to our table with new menus.

Despite the disappointments, the dinner itself was delicious. I was impressed that such a meat-centric place could also serve up fantastic vegan dishes with rich, deep flavors (which made me question why they would leave said dishes off the normal menu). It was about a month ago, so I don't remember everything that was on the menu, but all four dishes were well-received with me and my family.

Would definitely try it again when the menu switches up, but the slow service and crowd (on a Tuesday!) may deter me from doing so any time soon.

Pros: great deal, delicious food

Cons: no permanent vegan options , need to update menu and price, slow service

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Red Door Kitchen and Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.