Red Cabbage Cafe

322-223-0411

Calle Rivera del Rio 204, Colonia Remance, Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant, bar, and cooking school. Offers a separate ovo-lacto vegetarian menu with opportunities to sample traditional Mexican cooking. The owner makes the food. Bohemian space housed in a converted garage, a 10-minutes walk north from the beach along Calle Cardenas before turning right just as you get to the bridge over the river. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-11:00pm. Closed September month.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by blaineb

This place is NOT VEGAN FRIENDLY!!! - Edit

After years of wanting to check this place out, we finally made it over. But what a waste of time and money! We are both vegan, and even though the menu has a "vegetarian" section, literally nothing is vegan, and the vast majority of it isn't even veggie, as they put chicken broth in nearly everything ("but just a little, for flavor" the irritated waiter explained to me when I questioned him about this).

Honestly, I have no idea why this place gets so much cred online. Sure, the décor is lovely, but seriously the only vegan things they could make us were an extremely plain and watery black bean soup, plain steamed veggies, and a squash blossom "quesadilla" without the cheese. And this set us back $30US! What. The. Hell.

Also, the older man who waited on us was outright hostile when I very politely, in Spanish, explained that we are vegan, shaking his head and walking away in disgust. I have been to Mexico and many other parts of Latin America over the last twenty years and have rarely had an experience like this. It was a major disappointment. Vegans- save your money and go to one of the places in town that are actually cool with our existence. We loved Veggie Table and Planet Vegetarian.

Pros: Decor

Cons: Nothing vegan, Horrendous service, Overpriced and hard to find

Prepare to be surprised - Edit

It isn't an easy place to find but its so worth the effort. The map on Google maps on our phone was accurate; the one on HC wasn't!

The place is an art lovers dream and some are original.

There's a completely different menu for Veggies and we ordered too much and ate it all! There wasn't one bad one in the bunch. We were surprised by the spinach salad and it was delightful. The spinach was pureed!

Pros: Decent amount of vegan options

Cons: Most taxis can't find it!

Return to Puerto Vallarta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Red Cabbage Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.