Receptor

8-495-6956686

Bolshaya Nikitskaya, 22/2, Moscow, Russia

Serves meat, vegan options available. This cafe makes vegetarian food and soups in addition to fish and chicken. The dessert do not contain gelatin but agar-agar. Cozy, homey feel interior, free Wi-Fi. Live Brazilian music Fri-Sat evenings. Established since 2010.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Russian, Non-veg

First Review by Meander

More vegetarian friendly than vegan friendly, good for late night - Edit

3 stars for vegan. Might be 4 stars if you're vegetarian. We came here in early August - at the time it was listed on Happy with no reviews, but we came because it was open late and nearby.. The atmosphere is really charming. Someone was playing piano for a while, and there's a lot of cute animal themed decor including a cool mosaic cat portrait.

Vegetarian items were clearly marked on the menu, but vegan items were not. The server had no idea what was vegan and it took a little while to find out. Several things we thought would be vegan weren't, so we ended up ordering an Udon noodle bowl, and hummus. The hummus was not like normal hummus. It was incredibly thick and garlicky and it took strength to drag a carrot through it. I did enjoy the taste, it's just not what you might expect and we ran out of things to dip in it fairly quickly. My udon noodle bowl was pretty tasty, if a little dry/sticky. It hit the spot though.

It seems like they are trying to court the veggie market because they had copies of the Russian vegetarian newspaper you see at all the vegan and vegetarian joints, and I'm assuming they listed themselves on Happy Cow since there were no reviews to begin with. I hope they will add more vegan options and mark vegan options clearly so it feels more like a really vegan friendly restaurant.

Pros: Open late, Cute decor, Lots of vegetarian options

Cons: Not as many vegan options, Server didn't know what was vegan

Nice setting - Edit

Found this place through Lonely Planet; there are actually two branches, one on Bolshaya Nikitskaya which is more cozy and one on Bolshoy Kozikhinsky 10 which is more modern. The menu is the same in both places. It has pictures and short English descriptions, vegetarian items are labeled. There's isn't a super wide range of choices but some good options, including sushi. Both meals I had were vegan, not sure if this is explicitly specified. Menu is Asian inspired: I tried a great Korean curry with chick peas and tofu; and a (for me) slightly less successful udon noodle dish (too sweet). I like their quirky interior, their fondness for cats and staff was friendly in both places, so overall, a nice place to go.

Return to Moscow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Receptor closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.