Real Food Daily - Pasadena

Contact 626-844-8900

899 E Del Mar Blvd (at corner of Lake), Pasadena, California, USA, 91106

Opened on May 22, 2012, this is part of the Real Food Daily brand with locations in Southern California. All vegan food menu and vegan desserts. Spacious with tables as well as bar seating. Weekend brunch on Sat-Sun available. Open Mon 11:00am-9:00pm, Tue-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Macrobiotic, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by Ginita

Love this place! - Edit

The food here is excellent! The prices are a little high, but it's worth it for the portions and service. If you're too full for dessert, take something to go, you won't regret it!

Pros: All vegan, Varied menu, Large portions

Cons: A little pricey

Incredibly Good! - Edit

I had heard of real food daily, but not sure when or where or from who. I took 3 friends there on a hunch and a little worried because I was the only vegan and didn't want my friends to be disappointed.

WOW! This place was so good! Each of us ordered different entrees. I tried everyone's, and they were great. My friends were also very impressed with the food. The asian entree tasted a little standard (still great!), but everything else had a very high, chef-developed quality to it. We got dessert, which again was delicious.

Service was excellent. Our waiter was really nice and friendly. The food did take a little time, but it was a busy Saturday night, so that's gonna happen.

The environment was great as well. Great design, and clean nice bathrooms if that's something that worries you.

I'm from Santa Barbara, and I'm going to be taking friends down to the closest Real Food Daily to us. Too good to pass up!

Pros: Food is great, Waiter was awesome, Ambiance was excellent

Cons: Forgot my beer at first? Extra 3 min wait

Absolutely Amazing - Edit

Thoroughly impressed with this establishment. Nice outdoor seating area, great customer service and dog friendly!

While traveling through Southern California we stayed in Pasadena two nights. First morning I had the waffle with breakfast potatoes and tempeh bacon. My boyfriend ordered a breakfast burrito with a vegan cashew cheese queso on top. Both dishes were amazing.

We enjoyed our breakfast so much we came back the next day for round two! This time we ordered lunch. I grabbed a bowl of soup and side of corn bread. The soup was awesome but the corn bread was to die for!

We also brought along our family on day two. My boyfriends father ordered the granola cereal and he fell in love. So in love that he ordered 6 of their $12 bags of granola to take home with him along with an address to order more when he runs out.

I highly recommend Real Food Daily. Zero complaints here!

Pros: Large Portions, Organic, Delicious

Real Food Daily Pasadena - Edit

This place is fabulous! It was packed and I can see why. We had a delicious veggie burger and some incredible cherry pie for dessert. It totally rocked with the coconut milk ice-cream! I wish there was one in my neighborhood. I'd be there all the time!

Not-Chos were insanely good!! - Edit

The not-chos left my friend and I speechless. They have got to be one of the tastiest foods I've ever had. The serving was more than enough for the two of us. Actually the entree was tough to finish after getting full on the not-chos. My entree was the lasagna and it was also very good. The lasagna was a bit heavier than I prefer but I had a long active day so didn't mind it. I'll definitely be back here on my next trip to LA.

Pros: omg those Not-chos, pleasant ambience, friendly staff

Cons: none

Delicious food, great service - Edit

I took my mom and my aunt for a birthday lunch. This was their first visit and they absolutely loved it. I was very pleased to see that the portions have increased a little but so have the prices :) I think that the food does deserve the price though because it is very tasty, not greasy and not heavy. I had a piece of coconut cake and a peanut butter pie. The coconut cake was just decadent. Yes, most likely it was fattening but it was a special event. The peanut butter pie was also good but too soft for my taste.
I wanted to buy a whole cake and the manager came to my table to explain to me why I couldn't. She was very nice and offered me another type of cake instead. Our server was very attentive the whole time and had a positive, kind attitude. There was a Hispanic young man serving us water and tending on us as well and he was also very attentive and kind. The food came quickly to our table and it was fresh and hot. I will definitely come back and recommend it to everyone.

Pros: Delicious, large portions, service

Cons: price

great food and atmosphere! - Edit

We had a little trouble finding this place, we drove right past it! This is a very nice restaurant with good atmosphere, nice service and obviously the food is delicious. Our server had great recommendations. I had the lasagna and it was amazing. The appetizer was good, but too pricey for the amount of food. The entrees are good portions, so you really don't need an appetizer. Some of the tables are also pretty close together, so just hope you don't sit next to other loud guests!

Good but expensive - Edit

I have to admit that I go to Real Food Daily very rarely and it's just down the street from me. When it first opened in my area I was really excited to have another vegan restaurant in my city. The food is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I think it's ok. One thing is always consistent though, the price. I always walk out of there wondering how the hell I spent so much money when I only went in for lunch. Their drinks are expensive, as in $7 lemonade, so it's easy for things to add up. I'm most impressed by there desserts, which are heavenly. I have got in to the habit of only running in and getting dessert to go. On occasion my work takes us for lunch there and then I'm happy because I'm not the one paying. Their nachos are unreal and some of there sandwiches are very good, like the club. Overall I just always find myself gravitating to their neighboring vegan restaurants, Veggie Grill/Sage/MyVegan. Having said all that, RFD is always packed and since they are fancier than the other vegan restaurants in town, it's a better date night spot.

Pros: best desserts ever, great location, cute restaurant and nice staff

Cons: expensive, the food can be hit or miss

yummy - Edit

Went here while in Pasadena last month. There were 4 of us 2 vegetarian, 1 meat eater and my vegan self. Everybody enjoyed their food including the meat eater. So many delicious options. I had the crispy tacos and they hit the spot. The cornbread was more the texture of a muffin and although it didn't taste like cornbread I'm used to at all, it did taste good. My only reason for taking off 1 star is due to the deserts. We got a slice of pecan pie & a chocolate cupcake. They were ok I guess but no one finished either. As a new vegan I'm not having much luck with deserts. Maybe when I can't remember what they used to taste like. It didn't help that the meat eater is a pastry chef that had spoiled all of us since our college days. I'm not a huge desert person anyway so I would give this place 4.5 stars really.

Pros: organic, vegan, yummy

Love this place! - Edit

I am a natural health specialist and I admit I am a bit of a snob when it comes to good quality food. RFD is one of my favorites, love the food and the staff is awesome. I look forward to every visit!

Pros: great food, friendly staff, nice vibe

Really great food, a bit weak on ambience - Edit

This is an unassuming place from the outside, but the inside tries to be more upscale. Any doubts you may have go away once you see the menu. There are some creative standard options, plus daily/weekly specials that are above and beyond. I started with a watermelon gaspacho, which was a little too sweet for my tastes but well worth the adventure. Then I tried the Argentine BBQ - wonderfully seasoned seitan with a variety of spicy sauces - double yum! There's a case full of deserts to tempt you as well, but I was too full to appreciate them. The wine selection was simple but fulfilling. I would go here any time I'm in the area.

Pros: really delicious food, creative menu options

Cons: outdoor space is noisy

Valentine's Day dinner - Edit

I have been here several times and gave never had s bad meal. This evening my husband and I tried the set menu for Valentine's Day. The ingredients tasted very fresh and the flavor combinations were wonderful. Also, the service was excellent and they never kept us waiting.

Gourmet food at its best! - Edit

Real food daily is gourmet food at its best. The fact that it is also healthy is an added plus. My son who is vegan was visiting from out of town and he suggested we go to RFD for dinner. I love vegetables. I love all the meticulously vegan food he prepares at home and so trusted that his standards for good vegan food were very high! What a wonderful surprise for me! Deliciously good gourmet tasting food that was also healthy! We had the sea cake and maki sushi roll for starters. Then the tortilla soup. For entrees we had the lasagna and quesadillas. If no one had told me this was a vegan, vegetarian restaurant , I would have just said I was tasting very delicious food. I am not a vegan or vegetarian! This is just fabulously delicious food!!!

Updated from previous review on Friday August 22, 2014

Updated from previous review on Friday August 22, 2014

Pros: Delicious, Easy parking, Excellent service

And Great ThanksGiving Food, Too! - Edit

We have been to this location a few times, it's the most convenient of Real Food Daily's locations and parking is easy and free or cheap, depending on time of day.
I had the Thanksgiving Sampler and it is fantastic. Glad to go there this time of year. At other times I sampled more of the menu and everything is always great.

Pros: Great food, Great service

Fit for Non-Vegans - Edit

I took a new (2-day) vegan and picky non-vegan here this week. Rave reviews from everyone! We tried and shared many different things. Amazing mashed potatoes and gravy, which I normally never order (too unhealthy!) Great veggies and sauces too! Desserts were a little too high-fat and not as great as the main meal, which was superb, as was the service. Wish this place was closer (I'd be a regular!)

Pros: Nice restaurant feel, excellent service, Lots of choices

Cons: Pricey, Unhealthy desserts

Pasadena fabulous Vegan resturant - Edit

My wife and I had two meals at this resturant and we very impressed; another fantastic place to eat, with some of the best service we have recieved anywhere. We would eat there almost every day if we could. What more can we say.

Pros: Selection, Service, Location

Super Brunch!!! - Edit

I died and went to heaven! For the first time in 18 years I had French toast! It was light, fluffy and very tasty. Syrup was great. The Ava B scramble was fantastic and fresh. It did take them a while to get our food to us, and they are a bit pricey, but I'm willing to pay for that kind of yumminess. They also deliver! No limit on price, only a $5 delivery charge. I'm probably going to go broke and gain about 5,000 lbs but I'll die happy!

Pros: New , Excellent food, Knowledgeable friendly staff

Cons: Pricey, Took a while to get food, Pricey

good solid choice - Edit

We finally made it to their newest location as we were in Pasadena for the day. Easy parking and the restaurant is definitely the nicest and most spacious of the 3 locations. Service was a bit slow and forgetful though and the menu looked shorter than the other locations. We started with a strawberry milkshake and ordered the reuben sandwich and a basic 4 bowl for entrees. Our bowl had the seitan cutlet, garlicy greens, soba noodles and Spanish rice. We also shared a lemon poppyseed cheesecake for dessert and it was good, but it had a slight tofu aftertaste which seems the case each time we've tried them. RFD is a good solid choice and is the granddaddy of vegan restaurants, but it seems a bit pricey considering the many excellent vegan restaurants in LA now.

Vegan with the Best in Pasadena - Edit

Having eaten at their Santa Monica Restaurant and had great meals, when visiting Pasadena their newly opened branch was on our radar. We were not disappointed in our light evening dinner, quite the contrary; in fact we went back for lunch a couple of days later! If you want to impress your guests on the excellence that vegan food can achieve, take them to 'Fresh Food Daily' in Pasadena.
The first evening, after driving all day from Sacramento, a large bowl of fresh Curried Carrot Soup (special of the day) was fantastic, relaxing and filling. I think ALL of the curry ingredients had to be fresh including the curry - what great flavors! For the lunch a couple of days later I had a vegetable wrap (Collard Greens wrapping freshly grilled vegetables with seasonings). Wow was it good!
If gluten free is a requirement, be sure to mention it to your waiter/waitress and you will be surprised at their knowledge of the menu ingredients. FDR's menu is extensive and exciting for vegan and GF patrons.

Pros: Excellent Food, Fresh, Great Menu

DeeeLish!!! - Edit

This was our first visit to a Vegan Restaurant. We absolutely loved it and will definitely go back! My husband ordered the Stir It Up and it tasted as great as it looked. I ordered the Fettucini Alfredo and it was very tasty as well (first time trying green fettucini). We shared a house salad which was ok, not as fabulous as the food but that's ok. We will try a different salad next time. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Before we left, the manager stopped by to see how our dining experience was and even gave us a free entree for our next visit! Can't wait to go back:)

Updated from previous review on Saturday July 28, 2012

Pros: excellent food, friendly & knowledgeable staff, convient parking

Cons: some items a little pricey

So many yummy choices! - Edit

I visited my brother in LA and he took me to this location. It had just opened so we were a bit disappointed they didn't have their liquor license yet, but the food was amazing and the service very friendly. I highly recommend the nachos.

Pros: Wide selection, friendly staff, good environment

los angeles vegan staple - Edit

This new location is different compared to the santa monica and west hollywood ones. I would not recommend making the treck out here if those are closer. The interior is a littlelittle cave like in the back try to sit towards the door, with sound bouncing off the concrete floors making conversation and peace difficult. The vibe is hurried, but lively in a good way. The menu has hemp milk shakes, four kinds of lemonade and other subtle additions from the other RFDs. There is an outdoor seating area for those who wannt to bring their dogs. While not destination worthy as the other RFDs, the food is top notch and the service seems well trained. I'd still be a regular if I lived nearby. Suggestion: add carpets and lower music volume add artwork. Fabulous addition to Pasadena, combine with a trip to Huntington Garden for a fantastic Sunday
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 27, 2012

Pros: excellent food, lemonade / beer & wine, free parking (2hr) in back

Cons: noisey

Good Atmosphere and Food - Edit

Had heard about this RFD location opening on HappyCow and drove here over the weekend for lunch. It's a nice space, larger than their locations in Santa Monica and West Hollywood. Casual nice. Parking is just behind the restaurant.

The menu is the same as their other locations -- a mix of American, fusion, and some California-Mexican using fresh veggies, grains, tofu, tempeh, and seitan.

My friend and I shared:
- BLT tartine, that was yummy. Savory cripsy tempeh strip, slice of tomato, slice of avocado over veganaise and toasted bread.
- Caesar salad topped with BBQ tempeh cubes, salad was tasty, tempeh cubes ok.
- El Bandito Rojo, that was delicious. Tempeh filled enchilada with side of beans and Spanish style rice.

We didn't realize everything we tried had some tempeh involved until all the food had arrived!

For dessert we got the oatmeal raisin cookie and the cheesecake (vegan); the cake was delicious with a really interesting whipped cream top.

Overall a very pleasant dining experience. A great place to eat healthy, tasty food when in Pasadena.

Pros: nice space, good food selection, friendly service

Mmmmm - Edit

Went to the opening for this last night and absolutely loved it! You can sit either inside or outside. The ambiance is very earthy, and the counter displays various desserts which all looked so tempting. Ann Gentry's cookbooks are for sale and include many recipes of the items they serve in the restaurant. At our table we shared the BLT Tartine appetizer which has perfect tempeh bacon and a little salad in the middle, and the Nori Maki with delicious ginger and wasabi. We also had the corn grain bread which was mixed with tempeh and had spreads that came with it, which was good and very filling. The RFD burger is not your typical veggie burger. The patty was soft and was more like a pulled-pork type of mock meat on a sourdough bun. The Fettuccine Alfredo was a spinach fettuccine with broccoli, red bell peppers and just a touch of pine nuts and the sauce was flawless! The other person at our table had the TV Dinner which was a meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy with vegetables. The meatloaf was ok, but then again I wasn't really a meatloaf fan back when I ate meat. The gravy and mashed potatoes were very good though. The Very Berry Cheesecake was the best vegan cheesecake I have tasted. My table absolutely loved it and they also served a chocolate cupcake which was a little dry for the others at my table, but I thought it was delicious. Staff was friendly and accommodating and atmosphere was relaxed despite the amount of people they were hosting. Appetizers average around $10, salads and entrees are about $13-$15, Burgers/Wraps are $11-15, Desserts range from $3-7. They have a large beverage selection, but its $4 for either iced or hot tea, which are the cheapest drinks on the menu and it just seems a little much for me. Overall it may seem pricey, but the portions are huge and we ended up taking a lot of food home. Parking is right around the corner on Shopper's Lane, just east of the restaurant. I hate going to Pasadena because of the parking, but this lot allows you to park free for two hours. There are so many options on the menu and everything we tried was made with such detail. They also have a catering menu and serve breakfast! Not too many places around here are open for breakfast, so that's unique. I will definitely come back here again.

Pros: excellent food, large portions, friendly staff

Cons: drinks expensive

Return to Pasadena Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Real Food Daily - Pasadena closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8044 times since May 2012.