RGB and The Bean Hive

Contact +60-321811329

35 Jalan Damai, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 50450

RAWcoffee moved out of Wisma Equity Building and rebranded as RGB & The Bean Hive. A coffee roastery and vegetarian cafe in a quiet area off Jalan Damai. Offers veggie wraps and sandwiches, various deli salads, baked goods and sweets including vegan ones. Has Wi-Fi and hosts movies and events. Open Mon-Sun 10:30am-6:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by matimatik

Great way to spend a morning. - Edit

The iced coffee my husband got here was, he says, the best coffee he's ever had. Luckily, they also offered a bag of the same coffee beans for purchase.

RGB is located in a pretty, quiet neighborhood just north of KL's busy downtown area. The cafe's layout surrounds a little tiled courtyard, and sitting in the sun having breakfast here felt great. It appears to be frequented by a lot of Western tourists/expats, which makes sense... my husband said that if we lived here, he'd probably come to RGB every day.

Pros: Excellent food and beverages, Pleasant, comfortable environment, Polite and helpful staff

must come! - Edit

tucked away in a quiet street but worth coming to for sure. had breakfast here and everything was absolutely delightful. outside and inside seating.

Pros: excellent food, outside seating, quiet spot

Quiet area but a little bit far away - Edit

You can't just walk here easily, it's not near anything you could walk from. It seems that locals always drive there (and, apparently, they do that a lot, there were a lot of customers while we were there), a lot of parking space on the street and in the front yard help, I guess. But it's just about $1.5 away from the Ampang Park LRT station or KLCC area on Uber/GrabTaxi so it's not too far. Still, getting there (and back) could be challenging — it's in a residential district without any clear signs (we missed it two times getting there, we had to stop somewhere nearby and just walk around and look, and then another Uber driver couldn't find us to pick up when we were leaving), location here and in Google Maps is accurate enough though.

It is also slightly expensive, we left about RM100 for three cups of soy latte, two pieces of cake, and two waffles. But given that they had three different vegan cakes, and some vegan ice cream for waffles it's all right once in a while (I've seen similar prices in a vegan bakery in Bangkok although that had better location and wider choice of desserts, unfortunately they don't have any 100% vegan bakeries/coffee houses here in KL). Waffles were (just slightly) overcooked for my liking, didn't have any syrup/chocolate on them, and ice-cream was somewhat papery (like the stuff I get whenever I try to do soy ice cream at home), cakes were a little bit to fatty which might be ok, I don't eat cakes too often and might've forgotten. Overall, not bad but not impressive either. Had I got there earlier I might've tried one of the breakfast options (available till 2pm), mostly consisting of scrambled tofu and various fried things.

It's not 100% vegan (I'm not sure if "meat" options in the menu were of some mock meat variety or the real thing, it wasn't clear enough that page had no vegan labeling on any items and I didn't want anything like that so I didn't ask), but they have options, labeling in the menu, and the staff understands what "vegan" is and speaks English so you can always ask if not sure.

Has both inside and outside sitting. On the outside, smoking is allowed, and you might get bothered by flies and bees and ants. Although it's SE Asia, so you should get used to the ants anyway (colony of ants building nest in your sugar? nothing to be afraid of, just ask your waiter to replace it with animal-free sugar :) )

Bottom line is it's a nice little place but not having a car here I probably won't go there too often.

Pros: vegan desserts, quiet

Cons: location, slightly expensive, not 100% vegan

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has RGB and The Bean Hive closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 729 times since Jun 2014.