First Review by Cosmic Illusion

Yummy lunch - Edit

We got there late after the salads had sold out and had the soups, both of which were yummy. We had a salted caramel slice which was great too. Although mostly takeaway there are seats at a bench looking out the window.

Cons: As with all takeaway style places, food comes with

Nice Try but needs work - Edit

Basically Petone is a great place to go for food and a day or night out. That said if you are vegan it is a terrible place to go. I have tramped along Jackson Street to try and find one cafe that will cater for me off the menu and basically haven’t.

So quite excited to see Raw open up. I had high hopes as this is definitely different for Petone and Lower Hutt generally. However, their menu is very basic, I’ve been in twice and both times they had a beetroot salad and raw lasagne with a cabinet of salad ingredients. It was not clear what 'food' they actually had. There was a small selection of raw cakes/deserts. They seem to be focused on juices and they do have a good range of these. That said they are all around the $9 mark. In fact everything seemed to be around $9.00. They do give you a good amount but I consider $9 pricy especially as the ingredients are NOT organic. The staff member I asked was reticent to tell me this but when I asked directly are the ingredients for the juices organic he said, ‘no.’

The cafe interior is okay with pictures of apes eating leaves painted on the wall. The hand written juice board looks a bit amateurish but hey you can forgive that. There is a bar with about 5 or stools so its not really the place to go if you want to sit and socialise. More a ‘take the weight off’ while you drink your juice type of place.

From an environmental point of view the juices are served in plastic pots with lids and straws - even if you are drinking in. Despite my asking for no straw I was given a lid and straw by the staff. I’d make the place down for this.

Good on them for giving it a go but I think they have a lot of work to do to make it top notch in the true vein of raw juice bars. That said they seem to have a good flow of customers - probably due to the dearth of anything else like them in the Hutt. This is good as they are a new company and I like to see such enterprises supported, it would be good if they can align their company with a more environmental focus i.e.) non plastic and organic produce in the future.

Pros: Something different in Petone, Selection of juices available, Vegan

Cons: Non organic produce, Over priced, Limited menu

Return to Wellington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has RAW closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.