CLOSED: Raw Star Cafe

Contact 424-238-5138

306 Pico Blvd (at 4th Ave), Santa Monica, California, USA, 90405

Opened in March 2013 by raw chef and book author, Bryan Au, this is a raw food cafe that also offers coffee drinks as well smoothies and specialty drinks like almond milk horchata sweetened with coconut nectar. Concise menu. Small and casual with garden patio and free Wi-Fi. Parking in rear lot. Confirmed closed Jan 2014.

Category: Vegan, American, Raw, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by Chia

they are trying their best - Edit

Really good and creative food&drinks, big portions, very friendly and quick staff, free parking. You can sit outside away from the street.
Staff absolutely hyped up though.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, free parking

Cons: staff needs to calm down a bit

Excellent Judge Not - Edit

Read the previous reviews after eating at Raw Star, was surprised at the negative ones! On vacation, met our son & daughter and we decided to eat here, as both my wife and daughter are vegan, my son and I are vegetarian. We enjoyed the positivity of our chef/host who made us feel like family. WE LOVED OUR FOOD! If you leave with contentment, a smile on your face and feel full and grateful for a wonderful meal, you know that the last minute stab at a nearby healthy place to eat was a good one! As we were leaving, we found that we had friends in common with the owner and we live 3000 miles away! Went to the opening of a vegan restaurant last spring, it was a disaster, head server's husband lost his job the night before it opened, she quit, all servers were new to the restaurant business, waited 2 hours to get food, etc. and they were only opening it because they had been vegans forever and couldn't find a good place to eat.....their food was terrific food. Yes, sometimes going to an opening can be a disaster, still will give the Raw Star top marks, presentation was excellent, food was as good as it gets! Enough said, go try it out, the owner puts his heart and soul into his cooking!

Pros: Excellent Food, Extremely Friendly, Price for raw food was average.

Disappointed - Edit

The worst raw food cafe I've ever been to. The waitstaff doesn't know what's on the menu, but maybe that's because they had run out of everything. The food is claimed to be organic but as a very particular foodie I am 99% positive it is not, as the apples in my salad were waxy. It is unclean, the outdoor patio is a mess and in general is a poor excuse for an eating establishment.

[edit by staff]

Sorry not sorry for the scathing review. I appreciate the addition of a raw restaurant in the Los Angeles area however there is a reason why this place is empty.

Pros: Portions were not too small, Parking

Cons: Misrepresentation of produce, Lackadaisical, unprofessional waitstaff

Yummy Drinks, Easy Vibes - Edit

Since this place opened I've eaten here twice. Was just here again this week and really enjoyed the drinks. The almond milk horchata is sweetened with coconut nectar and sprinkled with ground cinnamon on top. I asked for "less sweet," and it was delicious. I also enjoyed the strawberry and almond milk smoothie as did my little four year old. She also got a plate of fresh strawberries accompanied by a raw chocolate dipping sauce that she loved.

I had also went to the opening party in early March 2013. I heard that many people went without paying, so the food ran out. Fortunately I went early and was able to enjoy all the sampling of the raw dishes, which were overall tasty. The live music was mellow rocking and the veg community was a good group. The space is casual with a nice patio garden in the back.

Return to Santa Monica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Raw Star Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1453 times since Feb 2013.