First Review by button

Vegan cakes! - Edit

Good range of options, including vegan cakes.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food variety

Fresh food, great salad bar - Edit

I was hankering for a salad- they have a plate for around $12 or a bowl for less. I piled it high and everything tasted great. My boyfriend had falafel pita which was tasty and not greasy, pita looked homemade. I'll be back to try the vegan cashew cheesecake!

I'd say the menu split is about 1/2 veggie to vegan. A surprising lack of raw dishes however (apart from the salad).

Pros: Fresh and tasty, Price appropriate, Vegan desserts

Cons: Misleading name

Good option for a vegan lunch in Auckland CBD! - Edit

In the last few days our family of three lunched twice in the Raw Power Cafe.
It has a great upstairs location with a lot of light, nice colours and with the windows open it is like eating outside on a sunny day.
The first time we all three ordered the tofu burger and enjoyed it very much: excellent quality and fabulous presentation!
The second time we ordered and payed for the soup of day only to hear after some waiting that the soup was not available anymore. A bit awkward as we then had to find other options and your second choice usually stays second choice... The tofu scramble was great, the falafel filled pita was okay.

Raw Power - Edit

Great selection of counter food (including substantial variety of salad options!) as well as food to order.
The scrambled tofu and tofu burgers are must haves.

Pros: large portions, location

Cons: can be hard to find, limited parking close by, not open for dinner

tasty food, good location - Edit

Self-serve salad bar, two sizes, and menu items. I had Scrambled tofu for $12.90, with two slices of seedy bread, tofu chunks and diced celery, green onion, mushrooms, baked tomato half, mesclun greens with nice vinaigrette, chutney. The cafe started filling up at 12 noon and looks like a popular place. Wish I had been able to go there more times when in town.

Pros: salad bar, freshly cooked meals

Best! - Edit

I get a salad from here nearly everyday. The variety and flavour you get for $10 is incredible. I have yet to try anything else on the menu because i can't walk past the salad bar...oh and the green sauce... Omg you need to try the green sauce.

Great lunch place in the city - Edit

Definitely check out this place if you're looking for lunch in the city. Their salad bar is good value (you can pack a lot into a bowl!) and tasty. Lots of yummy vegan dishes to pick from, plus their fresh juices are great.

Pros: Salad bar, vegan in the city

Good, But Could Be Improved. - Edit

Initially I thought the Raw Power Cafe served entirely raw vegan food, and as this was something I was interested in after being vegetarian for a while, I decided to give it a try. Instead I found a little vegetarian and vegan cafe tucked away amidst the small alley of Vulcan Lane. On a usual day I would've gone for a $10.20 bowl of salad from the vegan salad bar, which offers at least 10 different varieties of salads. However, on my latest visit I opted for an off the menu curried vegetable soup. It was served with toasted foccacia and hummus, as well as an additional side salad that I ordered separately. The salad I chose consisted of my two favourites, the roasted pumpkin with pumpkin seeds and the black bean with a mysterious but delicious green dressing, as well as a green salad with homemade sweet chilli.

For $16 I thought the meal was average, and I regret not ordering my usual bowl of salad. The soup itself was mildly spiced and pleasant; however, it was not enough to tickle my taste buds. The accompanying bread and hummus were similarly underwhelming. My two favourite salads did not fail in pleasing me while the salad greens were just okay. Additionally, I find that the variety of salad is not as wide as other cafes.

The cafe itself is lovely and gets a decent dose of sunshine provided the sun is actually shining (and since we're talking about Auckland here, it's not really certain when that happens). Its surroundings are well kept and clean, and the lady at the counter who I presume to be the manager or the owner herself is always inviting. The biggest downfall to me though is the fact that most of the food is reheated using the microwave, including soups, tarts and pasta. I personally wouldn't mind waiting longer for my food if it were instead heated using the stove top or the oven, because I find the constant *ping* of the microwave unattractive at a restaurant.

Overall for a vegan I would recommend to opt for the salad bar rather than ordering off the menu.

Pros: Green Dressing, Lovely staff

Cons: Lack of variety, Microwaved Food

Vegan? Raw?...a little disapointing... - Edit

I came here the other day expecting to discover delicious vegan food, and the blackboard - which exhibited the main meals - contained a meagre few choices that were 'actually' vegan (apparently 'some' of the recipes can be altered to be made vegan..).

Moreover, the title "raw" is not very representative of the major features of the menu which are evidentially not raw at all...

Another vote for the tofu burger! - Edit

Popped along to this delightful little cafe yesterday for the fabled tofu burger, after reading so much about it here. The cafe itself is extremely pleasant to sit in - airy, relaxed and not too busy, even at lunchtime midweek. It is located just off the main shopping street, slap bang in the middle of the city.

The tofu burger was fantastic. I don't generally approve of a burger I can't eat with my hands but, in this case, the need for cutlery was entirely justified. A big slab of tofu, salad, mushrooms, avocado, hummous and a pesto dressing served on foccaccia make for an artful, filling and delicious treat. With a coffee, came to just under NZ$20.

Went back today for the veggie breakfast (served all day). Again, delicious, though the veggie sausage was a little lacking in texture and flavour. I ordered a bowl (!) of coffee with it and a 'Vulcan' juice - apple, carrot and beetroot. Total bill was just under NZ$30. They have a good selection of juices and smoothies, including wheatgrass shots and scoops of protein powder.

Pros: Central location, Good food, Pleasant atmosphere

Cons: Little bit pricey.

great cake - Edit

I went here three times and thought the vegan cake was awesome. The veggie (or was it tofu?) burger came with a little salad and nice bread. I also liked the tofu scramble, the veggie juice drink with beets and carrots, a chocolate cookie with cream filling, and one of the vegan sandwiches. It gets busy during lunch on weekdays but that's a good thing. I'd recommend this restaurant, meals are light yet filling and the vegan cake is really good.

Pros: filling, vegan proteins, vegan cake

Nice little vege lunch and breakfast place - Edit

I ordered the tofu burger - really flavoursome tofu and heaps of salad - plus 3 side salads which turned out to be too much for me to eat :(. Also got a vegan cream cookie thing, which was basically a choc cookie sandwich with icing in between and sprinkles - very sweet, but that's to be expected! Disappointed to read that they use cage eggs, considering they openly promote SAFE, and charge high enough prices to afford free range :(

Pros: Fresh, healthy vege food, Range of vegan sweets

Cons: Only 1 vegan breakfast option, Cage eggs!

nice little cafe - Edit

Maybe I was a bit annoyed by the wet weather that day, maybe I was a bit tired, but I didn't enjoy this nice place as it deserves. I had their tofu burger served in focaccia, with hummus, salad and avocado, that was really good. I didn't try their vegan cakes, though, even if they looked quite promising. Too bad it's closed at night.

Pros: good vegan choice

Cons: closed at dinnertime

funky little cafe - Edit

Great decor/building. Its a nice place to hang out over a leisurely lunch. The food is pretty good, although on the pricey side. Compared to Revive just up the road (my usual haunt), the food here feels a bit stodgier and not as refreshing and healthy. But compared to any other auckland cafe its excellent in terms of vegetarian options.

I had a fancy $6 juice that was supposed to be full of yummy goodness but it tasted like it had been watered down. I felt a bit ripped off!

Pros: Funky building, Yummy food, Nutritious

Cons: Expensive

Hypocrites: free range marketing for battery eggs - Edit

The food is good but this cafe is completely hypocrytical when it comes to how it markets itself. The cafe is full of animal welfare and ethics promotional material such as SAFE donation boxes for battery hens, yet they use caged eggs! We even checked twice! Not only is this unethical but they are misleading their patrons.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere

Cons: misleading marketing, battery eggs

Great Tofu burgers & chocolate cake - Edit

Although only about 20% of the main dishes on the chalk boards were vegan some of the others could easily be made vegan, all the cakes were vegan, as was the salad bar. We had tofu burgers on focassio bread with humous, huge amount of toppings, fried onions & mushrooms, baby Spinach, rocket, red & green curly lettuce, bean sprouts, tomato, cucumber, advocado & another slice of focassio with humous, delicious, really delicious, not cheep at NZ$13.90 each but worth the money. Had take-aways of chocolate cake, very yummy.

Pros: friendly staff, quick service

Cons: could be more vegan dishes

Delicious! - Edit

A great little cafe, salad bar, delicious cakes/sweets, the burgers and sandwiches are absolutely amazing. The staff are friendly, the environment is very sweet and simple. Vegan friendly and has vegetarian options.

Pros: Healthy options, Good selection of desserts, Extensive menu

Cons: A little pricey

Great food, great prices - Edit

I had lunch here recently and it was very yummy! I went for the salad bar as there were so many creative and colourful healthy options. Afterwards I couldn't resist a piece of the chocolate cake - the portion size was enough for 2 people. It was delish! If going for lunch, arrive early as it fills up very quickly.

Pros: Great variety of meals, Very tasty & healthy, Excellent prices

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Raw Power Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.