Raw on da Porch

• Vegetarian
Contact 242-3942876

Shirley St E, Nassau, Bahamas, N4422

Cafe in a shared space with a supplement shop. Serves raw and vegan cuisine. On Thursday it offers only raw food and smoothies. Uses honey in a few items. Mention HappyCow and get a free green smoothie (per owner).

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Raw, Western, Take-out

First Review by Ton

WARNING!!!! - Edit

I would have loved to give this restaurant the highest rating - in fact I was looking forward to it. We checked the happy cow page the day before we visited, and when we got there we saw a deserted building with a very small note that said,"Moving, details coming later."
We spent a HUGE amount of time and effort to get to this location, and no more notice than a slip of paper with no date or contact info. Even if they get back up - beware - they are liable to move without further notice to anyone. ):

Yummy break from cruise food - Edit

Go visit this local favorite and see the uniqueness yourself. Suggest the nori rolls and spicy Thai wrap. Don't expect a huge green salad. The owner is delightful and willing to please. Brown rice and tofu was cooked in the daily special. Samples of daily green smoothie and daily dessert were nice touch

Pros: Healthy , Friendly staff, Great for takeout

Cons: Limited choice, Limited seating

Great find, awesome owner! - Edit

We jogged to Raw on da Porch from our hotel on Paradise Island during a recent trip to the Bahamas (after reading reviews on Happy Cow!). It was a bit far, but didn't take too long running...just note that the roads are often narrow and without sidewalks, so be careful if you're coming in that way!

As for the cafe itself, it was extremely charming. It's a tiny little kitchen with a little patio and tent outdoors for enjoying the food and good company. Chrissy, the owner, is very friendly and laid back, and seems very dedicated to spreading the message of wholesome nutrition and health to her fellow Bahamians, travelers, and friends. She uses the term "release" instead of
"lose" to refer to shedding weight because she "doesn't want to find
the weight back," which I think is pretty neat. You get a great vibe from talking to Chrissy, and she is generous with her free food samples!

In the end we ended up buying a green smoothie and scrumptious wraps for the road, but got to try out some mock-tuna dip and ice cream while there as well. It was slightly pricey but worth it for supporting this great little establishment, and the quality was top notch! Definitely a hidden gem worth visiting.

Pros: great raw options, friendly staff, unique selection

Cons: iffy roads, very small, pricey

Vegan oasis - Edit

A couple of notes to start:
* Opening times are right, but it's M-F only. No weekend opening.
* Also, although all the produce is vegan and I belief also organic, all the dishes are NOT raw - as you may be able to tell from the frying going on!! Most of the menu is raw, but for example, the Porch burger, is not. So, if you are 100% raw, check before ordering..

OK. So, Raw On Da Porch was a very important find (thanks to this website!) on my first day of 3 weeks in the Bahamas. The islands are not the most vegan friendly place (having come from living in London for the almost 4 years I have been vegan, it was a very different terrain for finding vegan food). But even though there is only one option for wholly vegan cuisine, it's a good one! The atmosphere is good, people are friendly and the food is tasty.
On Tuesday and Friday there is a DJ playing outside. Personally, I found it a little loud, although not to the point of being a problem.
The menu has a mix of drinks (the signature green smoothies and nut mylkshakes) snacks (like 'ish' and chips - 'ish' being a replacement food for tuna, seved with tortilla chips) burger types (the infamous 'porch burger' and the 'Friday only' Falafel. NB, I found that asking for these to be lightly fried as opposed to the pretty crunchy texture they otherwise came helped me) and then some nycecreams.
All the food was pretty good. I think I had almost everything on the menu during my numerous visits. I did find the food a little salty and being the Bahamas, it wasn't cheap. But, being used to a pretty healthy diet the green smoothie and some fresh organic produce was always something to look forward to each time I visited.
The people are lovely and if you get a chance to talk with Chrissy, you should. She's a radio presenter who has lost substantial weight by introducing raw food into her diet and generally learning more about a healthful life. She is now on a mission to educate her fellow Bahamians (and travellers lucky enough to find out about Raw On Da Porch).

Pros: Exclusively vegan menu, Open daily / reliably so, Nice atmosphere

Rawfood in the Bahamas. - Edit

We found this place by coincidence. Nice lady who islocally famous for her radio show started this restaurant. Unhealthy eating is problem in the Bahamas according to her and she lost a lot of weight by a rawfood diet. She then started this restaurant to bring that healthy living food that benefited her to the island.

It's the real rawfood thing. We had some good smoothies, lasagna and wraps.

Nassau was not our favorite spot in the Bahamas, but if you are here, check out her place. Go during daytime; early afternoon. She closes early and runs out of food during the day.

If you come from the harbor, it's a long walk. Consider taking a taxi. Also for safety.

Pros: Friendly, Healthy, Passion

Cons: Long walk from harbor

Return to Nassau Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Raw on da Porch closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 925 times since Feb 2011.