Raw Garden

Contact +371-22302296

Skolas iela 12, Riga, Latvia,

Restaurant with juice bar operating since spring 2011. Menu is approximately 50% raw food and 50% cooked vegan food. Has fresh juices, smoothies, and wheatgrass shots along with desserts cakes and sweets. Honey is used at times and also for sale. This is the first of 2 outlets in the city. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-9:00pm, Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Raw, Western, Juice bar, European

First Review by olgucz

Top vegan food - Edit

Raw Garden is an amazing vegan restaurant. All the food is of extremely high-quality and very good. The staff is friendly, and prices are good.

Pros: Everything.

Cons: Nothing.

Those beluga lentils - Edit

Can't remember how many times I visited this place but it's one of my favourites. Great selection of raw treats and the chia mango desserts were lovely when I could actually fit them in. But my favourite was the beluga lentils with mushrooms and kale and little towers of carrot puree - I could barely move afterwards! Just divine. This is the best and friendliest of the Raw Gardens. Especially Una who lights up the place, she's great!

Healthy Vegans Dream - Edit

This is a well decorated, modern place in the heart of Riga with friendly staff, healthy meals and aside from honey in some desserts - entirely vegan.

I really enjoyed my lunch here (I had raw vegan sushi and it was by far the best sushi I've ever had). The juice was lovely too. The only downside was the desserts. I'm greedy so I ordered six desserts to share with my friend and they all tasted pretty much the same. You know that grainy, raw-vegan taste that is pretty much everywhere? Yeah, they tasted like that which is a shame because the sushi was so delicious.

For Latvian standards, this place was extremely expensive especially because the desserts were so tiny.

Overall, though, the main course was good, the staff were friendly and helpful and the whole place was clean, fresh and minimalistic. I got good vibes from Raw Garden but they need to put a new spin on their desserts because what they're doing now isn't working.

Pros: good food, Friendly staff, well decorated

Cons: can get busy, desserts were meh

Excellent Raw Treats - Edit

We didn't buy any actual meals; just stopped in for a few treats at the counter. Very rich and well-made. I can't remember the names of the items we tried but one was a kind of chocolate fudge and another was similar to a granola bar. Watch out for honey, though!

Pros: Raw, Good quality ingredients

No complaints! - Edit

On the whole, I´m happy with the couple of visits I have paid to this restaurant. I liked their food, and while they may not serve extremely generous portions (I'm thinking about the lasagne here), I didn't think they were scarce either. They took the time and effort to serve the cake with some sea buckthorn sauce and raspberries, that would usually not be the case at home in Stockholm.
On one occasion I got the wrong dish and was not alert enough to ask them to take it back before actually eating quite a bit of it, but it was probably just due to the language barrier. Staff were attentive, even when I arrived at the last minute to purchase some sweet things to take away.

RIDICULOUSLY SMALL PORTIONS!!!!!!!!! - Edit

I used to visit Raw Garden each time I would go to Latvia and I used to love the place until I visited it last week and got very disappointed. The portions up to this point have been large and satisfying and, since I used to love their lasagna I ordered lasagna again. And, to my surprise they brought (literally!!!) two tiny pieces of squash and a bit or tomato. The prices have also gone up. Left the place having paid 12 euros and still hungry... Hideous. The place that used to be cute and nice turned into something... I don't even know. Guys, why are you being so cheap?? And why did you change your lasagna, which used to be so rich and creamy, round, big and tasty and with olives into something ridiculously small and not even tasty? What are the customers paying for? I don't know... Very dissatisfied.

Pros: variety of foods

Cons: very expensive, small portions, good lasagna turned into something bad

Smart restaurant, friendly service and good value - Edit

I visited Raw Garden three times - once for dinner and twice for lunch. Staff are very friendly, and informed us that all the food on the menu was vegan, which meant we had a lot to choose from. Menus are available in English and the staff we met were all fluent English speakers.

At lunch, you can order from the menu or go for the "business lunch" which is around 4.50€ - great value for the standard of food they offer. I had a vegetable curry dish one day and a raw pizza the next, which was especially delicious. For dinner, we had a vegan cheese plate, a Thai style soup and a delicious chilli, followed by a chocolate ice dessert.

Highly recommended!

Pros: High standard vegan menu with delicious food, Excellent and friendly service, Smart surroundings

great first impression, but only had a shake - Edit

I only had a shake and no food. the place was packed, seems to be the vegan / raw place to be. bright, friendly atmosphere and healthy smell of wheatgrass as you walk in. staff were friendly and spoke English well. lots of options to chose from, all menus in Latvian though although staff are happy to translate. no a la carte - instead they do a black board 'business lunch' which consists of a choice of starter and main as I understand it. my (energy) shake was fine, nothing special but a bit expensive for €4.50 I thought. overall great first impression however.

Pros: bright, happy atmosphere, busy and healthy vibe, great shake and drinks selection

Cons: bit on the pricey side (smoothies)

Sehr lecker, roh und Vegan. - Edit

Es hat alles wunderbar geschmeckt. Wir hatten eine Lasagne. Gurken Spinat Suppe. Ravioli und Avocado Torte. Wir kommen wieder.
---
It all tasted wonderful. We had a lasagna. Cucumber soup spinach. Ravioli and avocado pie. We'll be back.

Great food - Edit

We visited Riga one week in August 2014 and we went twice to Raw Garden. Very fresh and yummy food, and an incredible juice/smoothie selection. After dinner we bought some delicious desserts. If I visit Riga again, I'll come back to this restaurant.

Pros: Fresh, Lots of juice & smoothies, Super friendly personnel

delicious raw and non-raw ALL VEGAN food - Edit

Just finished a delicious lunch meal here. Raw soup, warm chickpea creamy main, and avocado + pineapple juice for 9.50€. Everything here is vegan and everything I had was delicious.

Pros: vegan, raw

Nice - Edit

I was surprised to find a vegan restaurant in Riga. Had the daily menu, soup was excellent, second dish was not very tasty neither filling, but avocado cake dessert exceeded any expectation. Overall good experience but I found it a bit pricey for a country like Latvia.

Pros: Healthy, Fresh

Cons: Expensive

Wow! - Edit

A great place located within two blocks of two different bus stops and easily walked in about 30 minutes from Old Town. Superb food, friendly staff with English, reasonable prices. If you like raw food, this is a must.

Pros: Food quality, Prices, Portion sizes

Fresh and tasty (raw) food! - Edit

We really enjoyed the absolutely tasty and fresh food we had at the Raw Garden in Riga. The restaurant is small, but very cozy with a nice and modern interior. It is possible to buy the food take-away as well as raw crackers and other special ingredients for raw cooking at the counter. However, we preferred to take a seat and eat on the spot. Good decision! As a starter we had vegan mexican burrito wraps and a raw soup, which both was really good. As a main dish we had the raw lasagna and the chinese noodle salad pasta (I don't remember the name of the dish exactly, sorry), which also were absolutely tasty. Combined with fresh pressed juices and a raw cheese cake with red currant topping as a dessert we were so happy about this freshly made and tasty meal, that we really regret not to have the Raw Garden close to our home.
If it was, we would definitely eat there again.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 24, 2014

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 24, 2014

Pros: excellent, fresh made food, moderate prices, raw options

Cons: no outdoor-sitting, closes early in the evening

Huge Portions, Very Tasty - Edit

We had a very positive experience! Normally the portions in raw restaurants are very small, but here they were really big, some of us couldn't almost finish it. We had the raw lasagna, raw carrot soup and cooked zucchini spaghetti. For starters the cashew nut cheese is a must try and the raw snickers for dessert was amazing. Fast service and price was absolutely okay.

Pros: Portions, Price

Cons: Honey

Cozy Place with Delicious Raw & Cooked Meal - Edit

For lunch you can choose a meal of one soup and one main for 6.5 EUR. They always have daily changing one raw and one cooked option for both soup and the meal. (Everything vegan) We chose one of each (two sets) and they were all very tasty but raw soup & menu was more flavorful (and not high in fat). Food are all very good, beautifully presented and place is very pretty. Lots of raw desserts offered. We tried avocado cake (2.6EUR) and it was very light, refreshing and delicious! Many books on vegan/raw food. Free wifi but didn't seem so strong.

For lunch, food came out very fast but we've heard that for dinner it takes some while to be served (menu starts at 5pm). I would love to try the raw lasagna next time!
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 19, 2014

Pros: Tasty, Fast service, Healthy

Cons: No outdoor seating, Funky wifi

Delicious smoothies - Edit

Raw Garden is a restaurant with nice atmosphere and a good menu. we hade zucchini spaghetti and raw-veggie-lasagne which were both quite fine. we also tried some smoothies which were very very delicious. Try this when you're in Riga!
I also like that Raw Garden use at least some organic ingredients (what is in baltic states not standard in raw-veggie-restaurants)

Pros: wide range of very delicious smoothies

tasty raw food! - Edit

a very nice place - with friendly staff and a small shop selling organic products. i had raw zucchini spaghetti and a dessert. i was pleased with freshness of food and a good price.

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice interior

Delicous lasagna, macarons - Edit

The raw food here especially the raw lasagna is very tasty. I also like the raw macarons. The lunch special is usually good; my favorite was one that had coconut flakes. Another nice thing is they've kept the same prices for the lunch menu, since they opened a few years ago. The warm food is also good.

It would be great if they could make some veganized versions of Latvian dishes.

The smoothies are great and the store is very nice, and I've bought many useful superfoods, etc there.

Great place! - Edit

We ate delicious RAW starters (the pizza is amazing), then warm vegan food. The soup and the vegetable and beans stews are so well prepared and tasty!
The RAW desserts are fantastic!
Great restaurant!!

Pros: Amazing food, RAW and warm vegan, Yummy Desserts

Great atoms, tasty food, yummy sweets - Edit

We've had very good experiences at Raw Garden. Their raw green soup is a nice blend of greens, their cooked dish with chick peas in tomato sauce is great, and their raw superfood balls are great too. The atmosphere is airy and modern. The staff is very good too and the prices are affordable. Not too far from Riga center. We also purchased some coconut oil for our own home use.

Pros: Good Food, Sweet Sweets, Helpful Staff

Cons: Not too generous portions, Slightly small table room, Staff could be more friendly

A special place - Edit

"Raw Garden" is a great restaurant with original, mainly raw food. The interior is modern and creative, the atmosphere very inviting. The staff is very helpful and friendly and speaks excellent English.

The extensive menu is trilingual - Latvian, Russian and English. There are separate menus for food and drinks.

The selection of juices and smoothies is huge and looks delicious and very healthy.

The wine list has a good selection of international wines, plus a Latvian special: birch sap wine. I tried that one and it reminded me of very dry Riesling, quite interesting...

As a starter I had a wonderful raw salad garnished with edible flowers. It was very colorful, as well as the main course - "asparagus with fennel and vegetables". I was not a 100% thrilled by the main course because I love asparagus and here its taste was totally overruled by marinated peppers plus the fennel. But the dish was not bad and it tasted fresh, I just found it a strange combination. Another edible flower made it look very special.

For dessert I had an excellent raw avocado cake with black currants.

I wish I could come back to try more of the food!

Pros: good + healthy food at reasonable prices, nice staff, nice interior

Not the greatest experience.. - Edit

I don't actually know, how to write this review. I've been vegetarian for only 6 months and never visited a vegetarian restaurant before.. I live in Tallinn, here is basically no veggie restaurants at all!
So one day me and my boyfriend (who is vegetarian 5 days a week), we went to Riga and because of these reviews here, we wanted to come and eat here.
Maybe it was bad coincidence, but the experience wasn't good. Yes the atmosphere is good and yes, the workers were charming and spoke good English, but.. We sat in the table, the guy brings us menus and starts to apologize, that they're veggies haven't arrived yet (and we came like 12.00 in the middle of the day), so You can take the lunch special soup and from the menu.... you can take this..no you can't take this, sorry.. and this, no this isn't available also.. so there was nothing to choose from. Only this soup and one smoothie. So we took these. Prices weren't really cheap.. The soup was the most ordinary thing ever! Just usual hot soup with cauliflower and the smoothie.. I thought, that it isn't possible to make a bad smoothie.. But it is! Neither me or my boyfriend couldn't finish it, it was SO disgusting!
But I hope and I think, that it was just a bad coincidence..maybe someday we'll visit it again....

Updated from previous review on Saturday June 08, 2013

Pros: atmosphere, staff

Cons: Nothing to choose from, Not the greatest tasting food

Yummy raw in Riga - Edit

Finding Raw Garden was relatively easy. Once you walk in its like many simple but nicely furnished eateries. The service was very good considering its a pay up front place. Everyone spoke English and was more then happy to help me make a selection. They offered a variety raw and vegan dishes as well as drinks and deserts . Chocolate was displayed at the counter and cakes in a fridge near the back. Although they had a nice menu I took advantage of the great lunch deals. They offered hot Vegan and Raw Vegan 2 course lunch ( soup & main for 3.50 Lev which is a steal!) I came for the raw experience so I placed my order and took seat. The service was quick ( I guess not having to cook it saves some time) the soup was Gazpacho and lovely . Main was pizza with green cheese and side salad. It looked amazing and the pizza base and sauce were great but the green cheese did not do it for me and no dressing on the salad either.Don't let this put you off though. When it comes to raw food I like the simple smoothies and salads so my taste is not as refined for gormet raw . I would definitely recommend this place and I would return , if not for the pizza then for there great raw chocolate!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 01, 2013

Pros: Great price, Nice variety, Great service

Cons: ------------

Great food - Edit

The menu is all vegan, half of it is raw. The 2 people working when I went in were very pleasant, spoke English quite well, and made some recommendations of their favorite dishes. I was happy with the whole experience--service, food, presentation, atmosphere.

If I wind up in Riga again, I'd definitely go back. Prices weren't bad, either.

Pros: All-vegan, Friendly, Lots of different options

Wonderful Raw Food Paradise - Edit

Impressed by the presentation, the cosy and relaxed atmosphere and the high quality and wonderful taste of the food.
Raw food is taken very seriously and I managed to appreciate it with the books and literature available in the shop, and the handy help of the staff: a truly evangelist restaurant.
But not integralist: vegetarian cooked food is also served to keep everyone happy.
A good reason to visit Riga once again.

AMAZING! - Edit

I had never been to a "raw" restaurant. I usually go to normal vegetarian places or to restaurants with vegetarian options.
So, this was my first time eating "raw", and oh boy, it was great.

They had so many options, it was quite difficult for me to choose, so I asked the waitress to help me out. I ordered a pizza, that instead of traditional "dough", it was made of green nuts. It was quite delicious.

Afterwards, I ordered a sandwich to take home, made of pumpkin bread. Extremely tasty too.
I'm sure I'll go there again next weekend, I really wanna try some more of their dishes that I didn't get the chance to try!

I guess my only con was that the pizza took a little longer than I expected (I've never been to raw places before so I'm not sure about what the speed for a dish should be, but I felt it took a bit long). But after eating it, trust me, it was worth the wait!

Pros: Lots of options, Delicious food and drinks, Friendly, English speaking staff

Cons: I felt the food took a bit long

Wheatgrass growing in the front window... - Edit

I highly recommend this sweet (and conscious) little eatery in Riga. The lime green decor, delicious snacks and food, and super friendly staff (that speak very good English) is all well worth your time and money. We walked in and asked to see a menu, that is when the lady behind the counter asked if we had been there before, we answered no. She continued to tell us all about the specials of the day and the breakfast items (since we were there at 10 a.m.) We were heading to Tallin on a bus and asked if we could get two veggie sandwiches on raw pumpkin bread for take-away and the lady said yes. We also got a delicious cashew coconut ball of heaven (highly recommended!) Raw Garden is well worth a stop. The meals are average sized and reasonably priced. We loved our veggie sandwiches and the pumpkin bread--amazing! Even though we are not into the raw movement, we now realize that raw can be very delicious. Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: healthy cuisine, fresh produce, friendly staff

Cons: hmmm, nothing!

Amazing Food - eventually! - Edit

This is a beautifully decorated restaurant with a great choice of raw and hot vegan dishes, priced low to moderate. All food is freshly prepared and of very high quality, and portion sizes are good, but even the cooked dishes took one hour to arrive, making it less than ideal to "pop" for lunch. The staff were a little abrupt, but I hesitate to judge too much as this may be down to a language barrier.

Pros: choice, quality

Cons: service time

gourmet experience - Edit

We visited Raw Garden a month or so after it's opening.

It's a very unique place for Latvia, and from what I can tell, it's not too popular with the locals, because the prices are high. However, if you go there from 11am-3pm, you can get lunch menu for 3,5LVL (generally 2,5LVL in any other place).

We ordered veggie rolls and "lasagna", but it still felt like we're eating a salad, moreover, the veggies on our plates were practically the same, thus, both dishes tasted the same. They do have lovely cashew cheeses and sauces though. I fell in love with them so much, I figured out the recipe and like to make it myself.

I've heard they have started offering vegan hot dishes as well, so you don't have to eat 'salads' all the time there :)

Overall, it was a lovely restaurant experience and I would love to go there again someday.

Pros: raw, delicious 'cheese', friendly staff

Return to Riga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Raw Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7117 times since Jul 2011.