First Review by Petesternz

too hard those sweeties - Edit

those sweeties in the window shop is so old! they never cook new ones. I guess they've been there for more than years!!!

they are so f... hard to eat.
I thought I had broken my teeth when I ate.
Horribles.

I've eaten there before and didn't like at all

Pros: good location

Cons: too much chilli in the food, too much curry, old food/not good/dont hv flavour

Classic - Edit

I loved the retro interior of this old time Auckland restaurant. The owners told us it had been going for well over 20 years, so it is clearly doing something right.

The service was fast, as it was not very busy and most of the thali items are ready made in the warmer. It was all hot and fresh though. Depending on the size thali you ordered, there were a number of items to choose from, including pumpkin curry, other curries, lentils, salad, sambal, samosa, rotis, papadum etc. They also had other things on the menu such as Dosa that could be cooked to order. Everything was tasty and the serving was huge for the low price - we had to take some home for later. If there's something you can't have, like yoghurt, they give you extra of something else rather than just leaving it out.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Delicious fresh food, Huge servings

Yummy veggie curries! - Edit

We have been to the Rasoi a couple of times now and sampled several curries, samosas, sweet stuff etc. We think the food is good, flavoursome Indian food and we are really happy with the quality, cleanliness and service. Their recipes come from the Gujerat region of India and are mostly lacto-vegetarian (so no meat, fish or eggs, but they do use dairy so ask first if you are vegan). We will definitely be going again.

Pros: Tasty food, reasonable price, easy to get to

Not worth the long drive - Edit

I entered Rasoi open minded and excited but despite that it didn't really meet up to my expectations:( I ordered the $12 thali, I was given too much curry and just one small roti. The dahl and rice was average and the curry was bland, lacking any flavour whatsoever. It was definitly a stomach filler though! The milkshake (which I bought seperatly) was nice! Creamy and sweet, and not too thick nor too liquidy. The milkshake was definitly good value for money:) I'm glad to see that Rasoi uses REAL plates not those fake plastic ones that other restaurants use, the service was good as well, I didn't have to wait to be served for too long, (probably coz the restaurant was empty!). The food really let it down though:( So a fairly average restaurant, and definitly not good value for money. Too pricey! I'm not trying to be mean here but if Rasoi's going to give "close to home food" then they better lower the price to match home cooked food as well! Or else I can just eat at home for under $5.oo and get the same quality food!

Pros: Friendly staff, Comfortable chairs, Big portions

Cons: NOT worth the money, Gloomy decor

Clean Home-style Food - Edit

This place offers simple but good food that comes quite close to home-cooked food eaten in India. I had a $11 thaali about a month ago -- the daal was good, the curry and rotis were good and fresh, and the extra mango lassi on the side was good. The quantity was good as well for lunch.

Many Indian restaurants spice up the food in a uniform and "un-natural" manner that is not done in home cooking. Rasoi was much closer to home food. SO, if you are in the mood for a good, reasonably-filling meal, rather than something fancy or typical restaurant-style, I recommend this place.

Pros: Like home-cooked , reasonable portions, clean and simple

BARELY AVERAGE - Edit

Slightly better than Krishna on K Road. But, for sure overpriced on Dosa's etc - 9 dollars and then they want to charge you extra for more coconut chutney.

Better to go to the all you can eat Vegetarian Buffet with limitless Dosas at Saffron Restaurant on Ponsonby Road for lunch on fri/sat/sun for 11 bucks...some items may have ghee there so ask if you are vegan-the setting is nicer, the people who run it are much more friendly and it's cleaner too.

Stock Standard - Edit

Across the street from the Hare Krishna Food For Life restaurant. Rasoi is a small step up with a few more bells and whistles. The cheap samosas are always a good filler, on the move or dine in. The meals get a bit more expensive the larger you go, but with some careful planning you can build your own substantial snack with some loose change. A selection of drinks, Indian sweets and gelato are available, yet I've not tried any sweets as they may not be vegan.

Pros: Price, convenience

Good value Indian buffet - Edit

We enjoyed our meal at this buffet style Indian Vegetarian restaurant.

Most of the curries were vegan and we thought they were very tasty. The samosas were vegan too, and also very tasty. The rotis had ghee on them, so they weren't vegan (different to what was said in an older review).

All dishes were nicely sized and good value for money.

Rasoi also has an ice cream counter and a selection of traditional Indian sweets (we didn't try any but they looked interesting).

The decor of the place isn't fancy but everything was clean (again different to what was said in an older review).

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rasoi Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2814 times since Aug 2007.