First Review by bikeboyz

Excellent vegan options - always packed! - Edit

Rasa is the busiest restaurant on Church Street so it's worth calling ahead. The menu now labels its abundant vegan options. This is by far our favourite restaurant in Stoke Newington - very friendly service and excellent value for money!

Pros: Loads of vegan options, Great value for money, Fab service

Cons: Can be busy, so call ahead

good but not the best - Edit

Rasa is a nice vegetarian restaurant, but honestly not the best indian place in London.
Food can be a bit bland sometime and although I never had anything bad, I have never been impressed neither.
Other places like Whoodland in Coven Garden can be a better choice if you are after something very tasty.

Pros: cheap, nice venue, many vegan option

Cons: not so tasty

Great vegan indian choices - Edit

Great vegetarian indian restaurant. The staff was very friendly and knew exactly what was suitable for vegans on the menu. We had 4 curries and 2 sides which each had a distinctive taste & ingredients, very tasty & not too spicy (on our request). We didn't asked about the desserts though. Defiinitely recommend it! It was not expensive.

Pros: All vegetarian, Excellent vegan options, Friendly staff

You've got to love this place - Edit

Will just keep going back forever. Never had a bad experience or meal. The takeout is also fantastic.

Great value and really friendly.

Only problem is its really popular. Try to avoid going into the back room unless you are a large group, since it gets quite noisy.

Pros: All rounder

Cons: Busy & noisy towards the back

Outstanding Keralan food - Edit

We love this place, it's one of the best Indian restaurants we've eaten in and they're quite clear what's vegan and not. Delicious Keralan specialities. Our favourites include Kovakka Oliathu (we've probably spelt this wrong) and bhel puri. The only shame is they used to do a lovely vegan dessert but it's not vegan any more. Also the guava salad was amazing once, but another time we had it the guava was rock solid - worth checking it's in season before ordering. They could improve this place by having seasonal menus and vegan desserts, but despite this, everything we eat there is really delicious and it's a bargain and friendly, so it definitely gets 5 stars!

My Favourite Restaurant In The World - Edit

I've been a devoted fan of Rasa since the 90s - I used to live a short walk away & now I live thousands of miles away, but it is still my favourite restaurant in the world. The food is just spectacular, and it still amazes me that they manage to serve fresh, exciting delectable food for about the same price as your average curry house. The pre-meal snacks & chutneys are a must, and the Thakkali Curry and Beet Cheera Pachafi are life changing. I'm a huge fan of the Kovakka Olathiathu as well, so yummy. If I have any room left after eating all that I like the Kesari for desert.

Rasa has grown and changed over the years, and it is a small chain now, but if you eat here you will be eating in the original Rasa, where it all began. Just make sure you don't go to Rasa Travancore over the road, where they serve meat.

Pros: Amazing Food, Fantastic Prices

Cons: None. Go eat there now.

Authentic and delicious - Edit

A short review of this wonderful restaurant:

I have been living around the corner from Rasa for 8 years and love the food! I've never had a meal that I didn't love. I have always wondered how authentic the Keralan cuisine here is, and writing this review from Kerala having stayed in many different homestays and had lots of homecooked meals I can finally say that Rasa is not only delicious, but the real deal!

Gorgeous!!! - Edit

I adore this place. I've been coming here for over ten years and throughout that time I have never had a bad experience. the food is consistently good and the people who run it are lovely. The vegan choices are really good and though there isn't a separate menu the waiters know exactly which dishes we can have. This is one of the few curry restaurants where I can have coconut chutney (because unusually they don't put yogurt in theirs). The mysore bonda is my favourite starter. For mains we usually have 2 lentil dishes: cheera parippu and nadan parippu and a truly yummy okra dish with tomatoes. The rava onion dosa is fab and there is a choice of rice - lemon rice goes really well with the deliciously complex Keralan curry flavours. This is definitely in my top ten favourite restaurants of all time. It gets very busy so you have to book or come early. Love it! 11/10

Pros: Fantastic vegan curry, Really nice staff, Vibey Stoke Newington

Rasa, Stoke Newington - Edit

I rocked into here last night. It may have been a Tuesday night but it was still busy and the smell when walking in was delicious.

They have a thing on the menu that they call a feast (for £16 per person at time of writing). I ordered this thinking I would get a thali. I liked that I was invited to ask if I had any favourites that I would like included.

The starter was a potato bonda, a kathrika (aubergine) and while I don't the name, it was like a banana fritter.

Next was a bunch of nibbles of crisps, poppadoms and other things like that followed by the main course. There were 3 dishes and immediately it was obvious I had over ordered. This was far to much for one person and I was wondering if they felt I was so thin that I needed feeding up or the like. I had a go at it but with there being bread and rice included, I ended up leaving more than I ate. It seems a but of a waste to say the least as I was given enough food to comfortably feed 3 people.

I liked the fact that when I asked for vegan friendly food the waiter was clearly knowledgeable. Indeed the service was fine and my only regret was that I ordered so much, I wasn't able to appreciate the food properly.

I'd be more than happy to try here again.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Nice atmo & service

Cons: Feast for 1 is too big

Vegetarian favourite when in London - Edit

What can I say other than I love this restaurant! 100% veggie menu is excellent. Great food, great service, great prices. Gets busy so if your wanting an evening meal make sure you book. Lunch times we've always managed to pop in and get a table ok. The decor is simple, but don't be put off you'll love the food.

Return to North London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rasa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2825 times since Jun 2009.