CLOSED: Ras Kassa's

Contact 303-447-2919

2111 30th St (at Pearl and Walnut), Boulder, Colorado, USA, 80301

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has some vegetarian/vegan options. Try the kik alecha and yemeser wot. SHUT DOWN MAR 2015 PER NEWS ARTICLE.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by veggiequeen

Extremely Bland & Sour Food - Edit

I ordered the spicy vegetable platter and it was no where near spicey. One of the dishes had some light flavor, everything else was sour and more sour which was made more so by the rolled bread that had to be used to scoop up the food. I was disappointed because I went based on good reviews I do not recommend going unless you like very bland and sour food.

Cons: Sour, Bland, Sour bread only eating utensil

Fun, Ethiopian fare - Edit

It's worth eating here at least once for the experience of eating the veggie/bean/lentil curries off the injera-bread 'plate'. State that you are vegan and they adapt the veggie platter meal for you. The variety of vegan Ethiopian 'curries' is flavorful and colorful. The injera (teff-flour flatbread) is tasty but spongey - there are better Ethiopian restaurants near Denver for good injera. The restaurant is casual dining so don't dress up, after all, you are eating with your fingers! Also, expect slow, relaxed, service. The restaurant is a little run-down in places so if you are big on cleanliness you might want to skip it. My kiddos LOVE eating here for the whole 'eating-your-plate' experience. The kiddos also LOVE the injera and we always end up taking some home for the freezer.

Pros: Eating the 'plate' , good curries

Cons: a little run down , injera is not the best (but the kiddos love it).

Veggie sample is awesome! - Edit

Food is delicious and very flavorful. Service can be slow, but this is meant to be enjoyed with friends. My wife and I love the vegetarian sample. But, be careful if you go with meat-eaters. Everything comes out on one giant shared plate, so your veggie food could be right next to a goat curry. The waitress demonstrates how to eat the injera with your hands and makes a sample. She feeds it to one lucky guest, and doesn't seem to be too concerned if you're a vegetarian or not.

Pros: Flavorful

Cons: Slow

great lunch buffet - Edit

Really tasty, similar in substance to Indian food (lots of rice, lentils, etc) except that all the spices are different. They have an all you can eat buffet at lunchtime, where I believe everything is vegan apart from the two meat options. Also includes unlimited little rolls of spongy flat bread that you use to pick up your food. Our waiter was friendly (almost a little too friendly) and the service overall was good.

Pros: mostly vegan, lunch buffet

Cons: seating is cramped

Contributions +49

warm and inviting - Edit

Wonderful hostess, food, and environment.

Pros: price, food, service

Cons: location, due to construction

Ethiopiyuuuuuuuummmm! - Edit

Love this place! Ras Kaasas is a lovely little Ethiopian restaurant, the only one in Boulder. The restaurant has nice atmosphere including the option to eat at traditional woven basket tables indoors or creekside seating outdoors.

They have 3 vegetarian combo plates that are all vegan: a regular veggie combo, spicy veggie combo, or mild veggie combo, and they are all delicious! The standard dishes in the combos (collards, red lentils, and yellow split peas) are all lovely, and they also have some different dishes like beets and potatoes, sweet potatoes, grilled veggies, and butternut squash. It's all very tasty and the injera (spongy crepe-like bread) is normally very fresh, soft, and good.

This is also a good place for a weekday buffet - there are always several vegan dishes and a vegan soup.

Highly recommended! It's one of the best places in Boulder to get a variety of lovingly-made vegan dishes in a combo platter. The two Ethiopian ladies who run the restaurant are also sweet as can be, and in dozens of visits I've never had a mix-up with meat on my order.

I read the other review that said the restaurant is always packed and you always have to wait. That hasn't been my experience. We go frequently and have only had to wait for a table maybe once on a weekend holiday at dinnertime. It's never full for lunch or on week nights.

I would give the place 5 cows, but Happy Cow won't let me do that for a non-vegetarian restaurant. So officially it's a four-cow rating but it's five in my heart!

Pros: Delicious food!, Creekside patio dining, Super friendly owners

Cons: Can be slow

Delicious Ethiopian Food - Edit

My husband and I ate at Ras Kassa's last night and it was great. We split the vegetarian and spicy vegetarian combination plates and it was way more than we could eat (lots of leftovers) and very, very good. Each combination plate came with three items (all vegan) plus we were served spiced collard greens, shredded carrot salad, and some sort of parsley/lemon/bread salad. Both meals were served together on injera bread so everything was shared.
I do not remember the names of all the dishes, but the spicy red lentils, the sweet potatoes, and the beet and potato dishes were particularly good.
If you like Ethiopian food, don't miss out on Ras Kassa's.

Pros: Great vegan selection, Very tasty food, Fun eating style

Cons: Lentil Pastry not vegan, A little pricey

Wonderful! - Edit

We love this place! We make special trips from Missouri just to eat there! Very nice place, the food is great and the people are always nice. It's always full and we have usually had to wait, but it's worth it.

Return to Boulder Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ras Kassa's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1397 times since Aug 2007.