CLOSED: Ras Ka

Contact 970-581-3894

120-B W Laurel St, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA, 80521

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian food restaurant in old town in Fort Collins where the food is prepared right in front of the bar, in sight, using some organic and local produce. Vegetarian, vegans, and gluten-free options. Sources non-gmo tofu from Mama's Tofu Collective that's delivered by bicycle. Confirmed closed, Dec 2016. Open Tue-Sat 11:30am-8:30pm.

Category: Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by surfaces

Delicious Ethiopian food--Great vegan options! - Edit

My partner and I have eaten at Ras Ka occasionally. We went back to check out their renovation and new menu. We were very pleased with both. The dining room has been expanded and has a real 'homey' feel.

The menu has been revamped and is 2/3 vegan. The only meat items being served are chicken and fish. We ordered some Sambosas and two different vegetable entrees (mushrooms & eggplant) with extra injera on the side.

We are huge fans of Ethiopian food, and Ras Ka's offerings never fail to surprise us. The flavors are extremely fresh and unique. We totally enjoyed our meal and the new cozy atmosphere in the restaurant. The sambosas were particularly good. They are not deep fried (like at most Ethiopian restaurants)--instead, they are pan fried and include veggies as well as lentils. We ALWAYS order them when eating Ethiopian and the ones at Ras Ka are far superior (and healthier). In addition to our food, we ordered African team and coffee with our meal. A delicious date night out!

We spoke with the owner after eating. She is monitoring how much chicken is ordered and may remove it from the menu. She would like to make the business totally vegan eventually if business can be sustained.

The food is amazing at Ras Ka. At the same time, I have a few minor 'quibbles' with the restaurant:
-There is no website, so you have to find the menu on Facebook.
-The nice person who took our order brought a pad of paper to the table, but didn't write down our order. She then had to return and double-check what we wanted.
-The sambosas were served with the entrees. As we were starving, it would have been nice to get them ahead of time since they are described as 'starters' on the menu.
-If paying with a credit card, the business uses a 'square' with an iPad. It was unclear if the tip had been added to our charge since the total did not change. The owner was able to check and it WAS added. We almost double tipped because we didn't want to 'stiff' the server.
-I wish Ras Ka would offer a 'veggie combination' like many Ethiopan restaurants do. It's always so difficult to decide what to order--I want to try it all!!!

Pros: Delicious food, Cozy atmosphere, Gracious owner

Cons: Lack of parking, No 'veggie combination'

Great place to eat out - Edit

Ras Ka is wonderful, even if mostly for the owner's genuine and personable character. I'm amazed that there are no other happycow reviews here yet! If a traveler were headed through the Fort and had one opportunity to dine out, I'd recommend Ras Ka. Possibly less-than consistent dishes and portions, but somehow that is a positive here, like a home cooked meal.

Pros: Great food, staff, genuine, some locally sourced ingredients

Cons: Occassional small portion

Return to Fort Collins Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ras Ka closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.