Ranchos - Sunset Cliffs

Contact 619-226-7619

1830 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, California, USA, 92107

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican restaurant that also offers many vegetarian and vegan choices. Uses various faux meat. Has another location in North Park. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by bavegan

My go-to Mexican place - Edit

If I want Mexican food I always come to Ranchos. After becoming vegetarian a few years back I needed to find a place that made authentic Mexican food (which I can't get enough of) without the lard and chicken broth that was in everything at the place I used to frequent. Ranchos is AWESOME. They have the largest menu I think I've ever seen at any restaurant, which I love because having so many choices is not something vegetarians and vegans often get. They have a lot of meat, but the menu is LOADED with vegetarian and vegan options too, and plenty of the non-veg stuff on the menu can be made vegan or vegetarian. Other bonuses are that the staff are very friendly, chips and salsa are complementary and practically unlimited, prices are good, and the restaurant is really big so there's always room (plus there is a small parking lot in the back, although parking has never really been an issue for me just on the street). My only real problem with this place is that their rice has been kind of meh in my experience. But since the rest of their food is so excellent overall, I really don't mind skipping the rice. Any meat eater or vegan can eat happily here.

I personally think it's silly that I am only allowed to give this place 4 stars because I would surely give it 5 if I could.

Pros: enormous menu, delicious and authentic, reasonably priced

Cons: not the best rice

Great for breakfast & if you have dogs with you - Edit

We had an awesome breakfast here: the tofu chilaquiles with soy cheese, and tofu scramble with mushroom, bell pepper, and onion. They brought us out some really tasty salsa and chips to start too. We loved it. Certainly filled us up for the day.

We were also able to sit out on their cute patio with our dogs, and get a couple of slices of vegan cake to-go.

Pros: Inventive vegan Mexican food, Dog-friendly patio, Friendly service

Cons: Not completely vegan

Off the Charts - Edit

I've never seen such a vegan-friendly Mexican restaurant before. It was nearly impossible to choose between the multiple options, but the waitress was very helpful and accommodating, and I ended up getting some combo plate that was fabulous; but honestly, this is the kind of place where you can't go wrong - everything they make is fresh, tasty, comparatively cheap, and large portions. There is a good drink selection, alcoholic and non. I came back a second time the following day, and almost needed to be wheeled out in a barrel because my eyes were bigger than my stomach. It's a nice atmosphere, too, and seemed to draw people of all sorts and ages.

Pros: comprehensive vegan menu, great service, comparatively cheap

Cons: not thinking of any

Ranchos is great! - Edit

This restaurant is great for everybody! So many vegan options like soy chorizo, tempeh, tofu, etc. I had the soy chorizo taco and tofu enchilada, yum yum! I would definitely go back. The burritos are huge! They have kombucha, organic beer, Yerba mate, and juices to drink. Outside garden patio area is nice to eat in.

Pros: reasonable prices, nice setting and cool interior

Always awesome - Edit

We frequent this restaurant, with the organic salad bar and fresh juices as options, also plentiful vegan options, delicious and large portions, authentic feel and great service. The vegan desserts are awesome! They are flexible about substituting and we love the enchiladas and vegan tamales.

Pros: great food, fast and friendly service, MANY vegan options

Es Bueno! Love this place! - Edit

This place caught our eye as we drive by enroute to Sunset Cliffs. We stopped for "vegan fish tacos", which were traditional mexican tacos made with tempeh. They were so bomb. Coming back a second time, we discovered the entire menu was available vegan and they specify vegan or veg options with a "V" on the menu. I highly recommend Ranchos when you come to San Diego.

WOW! - Edit

Delicious food! We tried the trio of enchiladas and the vegan carne asada burrito. All was amazing. We also enjoyed the vegan chips and salsa served before the meal.

Pros: low prices, delicious food, great location

Cons: slow service, cramped seating, limited parking

Great food - Edit

The service was not good, nor was was it super friendly. The food, however, was great! Lots of vegetarian and vegan options, way more than i've seen at any other mexican restaurant. Had the tempeh tacos and they were deliscious! Prices were reasonable too. Will try again to try other items and see if their empolyees were just having a bad night.

A local favorite mex with lots of vegan options - Edit

Love this place. They're always happy to accommodate our requests, are very friendly, and the food is consistently good. Very casual, OB kind of place.

Pros: Many tasty vegan options, Great mexican coffee, Great staff

Cons: Service friendly, but a times a bit slow

Wow! - Edit

When I saw "some vegetarian options" I didn't have too high of hopes, but I was wrong! They had everything from tofu, to veggie patties and soy chorizo, to tempeh. And best part is they mark on the menu what is vegetarian and what are the vegan options. This place was really good, especially for a little hole in the wall.

Pros: Good Service, Large Menu, Good Prices

Fantastic - Edit

My family and I went to eat at Ranchos in Ocean Beach today for the first time. I walked away being quite impressed. The service could have been a bit better however our waiter also appeared to be the cook so I had a bit of understanding. The corn and advocado enchiladas were awesome!

Pros: Good Food, Nice Neighborhood, Comfortable atmosphere

Ranchos - Edit

This was some pretty good mexican food for a decent price... Plenty of vegan options- had both dinner and breakfast there... Dinner was about $25 including drinks! I had the Lentil, Avocado, and cheese burrito- minus the cheese. It was decent, nothing special. The tofu scramble was delicious, and I can't wait to go back here again!!

Pros: Good food, nice atmosphere, margaritas!!

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ranchos - Sunset Cliffs closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1879 times since Aug 2007.