Ramen Hood

Contact 213-265-7331

317 S Broadway (at downtown LA), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90013

Vegan ramen counter in Grand Central Market, opened Nov 2015. Offers a small fusion menu, with add-ons including vegan egg. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Asian, Fusion

First Review by Owiesomething

Best vegan ramen! 👌 - Edit

if you're looking to fill your ramen void, you've come to the right place! Big bowl of ramen for a good price, can't beat that! Sure the traffic and parking sucks, but if you stick it out, you'll be rewarded with tasty ramen! I'd stick with the ramen. The "Small Plates" definitely live up to their name, but at $5 an order it's a huuge rip off.

Pros: 100% Vegan + vegan eggs! Super friendly staff.

Cons: Parking, traffic in the area, crowded marketplace

Why I came to LA - Edit

Visiting from Boston, I was hoping to have an authentic Los Angeles experience in my short forty eight hours in the city and Ramen Hood did not disappoint. Right in the heart of downtown, Ramen Hood provided a quick, delicious plant based meal complete with a vegan egg that made my friends wonder "How did they DO that?!" I don't know, but it was great!!

Pros: fully vegan , quick, cheap

Amazing - Edit

We came here for a light brunch, but ended up so full we couldn't eat until dinner. The portion of ramen is really big and tasty. Vegan egg is interesting to try, although it would definitely taste more like egg if they added some black salt. We were very satisfied with the meal!

Pros: huge portion, very tasty

Cons: small seating area

Fast, delicious, satisfying - Edit

If LA wasn't always so hot, I'd eat here more often. I love that there's an all-vegan ramen shop in the midst of all the meat-heavy eateries around it.
The ramen is fabulous. Unlike places that make a "veggie" broth because there's nothing in it, Ramen Hood makes a rich, flavorful broth that's very satisfying. The huge oyster mushrooms added "meatiness" to the bowl, the veggies, I only wish there was a little more. I could have had another entire bowl though, I was pretty hungry. I drank every drop despite sweating buckets in that hot marketplace. All worth it.
Unfortunately I was not a fan of the poutine. It's way too oily. Yes, I know it's fried, but at that point, the oil overpowered the drizzle and it seemed like it was mostly oil and hardly anything else. I want to think it's also because I was one of the last people there that day so maybe I had the last of the stash.
But I will definitely go again, maybe to get the cold noodles, or maybe to sweat through another scrumptious hot bowl.

Pros: flavorful, fast, satisfying

Good Noodle - Edit

I had read about this place on HappyCow when it first opened, and finally had the chance to try it. Here's my Ramen Hood review.

It's a bar within the Grand Central Market. The market has an inexpensive parking structure above it, so it's a good place to park.

The bad: You had to walk by all kinds of meat and fish eateries to get to Ramen Hood. And you smell all that stuff, too.

The good: The ramen noodles come in original, garlic, and spicy miso varieties. The noodle is fresh, and the taste is pretty good. Add $2 for vegan egg - it looks like egg but does NOT taste like egg.

The short menu also lists several appetizer items.

Pros: good ramen

Cons: housed with meat places

Best Ramen - Edit

Indulgent and delicious. Yes, the fake egg (made from soy milk and nutritional yeast) has room for improvement, but as it is it's pretty good. The broth and the mushrooms are simply perfect and put this ramen into a very competitive league with non-plant based alternatives.

Decent Place - Edit

The location is great and service is very friendly. However we could use more flavor in the broth! I had the OG Ramen and added salt; my partner ordered the Spicy Ramen and added spices. Noodles, vegetables etc. were good. We shared the cucumber salad and pickled vegetables and they were great. Shirin Free (non alcoholic beer) was a nice surprise. Very reasonable prices - we took the combo.

Pros: Friendly service, Location, Price

Cons: Need more flavor

Best veg ramen! Even great compared to non-veg ramen. - Edit

Tried it after seeing the article in Vice. Now my new favorite veg ramen spot. Worth the drive from OC. Ramen + Coke = fantastic Sunday afternoon.

Vegan Ramen!! - Edit

This is another place I've wanted to try for awhile. I am surrounded by ramen places where I live but most do not have a vegan option. When I heard this place was 100% vegan I had to check it out!

I went here after another hike in LA. I found my usual parking spot near the Grand Central Market and headed in to find Ramen Hood. It was located closer to the Broadway side of this indoor food court. I ordered the spicy ramen without the vegan egg. I was never a fan of the egg in my ramen so I figured why try to add one now?

After grabbing a stool at the counter my soup came out immediately. Now this does not have conventional ramen flavor in my opinion, but that's not a bad thing. The one thing about my pre-vegan ramen was that they were soooo salty. This has good flavor without that salty taste. It was not as spicy as I would have like but again, it had good flavor. The mushrooms, nori, sprouts and noodles were a good combination with the broth and there was a good ratio of broth to noodles. Another problem with most ramen places are they serve LOTS of broth and not enough noodles and veggies to get through it all. That was not a problem here!

Overall, I enjoyed it and will be back. Again, not your classic ramen flavor but not a bad thing at all!

Pros: Good broth to fixin's ratio, Nice flavor, Quick service!

Cons: Spicy could use more spice, Only open until 3:30p, LA Traffic and parking

vegan ramen! - Edit

Dirk and I stopped by for a late lunch on a Saturday and the place was still busy. You can order either spicy or non-spicy and the vegan egg is extra. I got non-spicy with no egg as I never liked eggs, but Dirk got the spicy one with egg. He thought the egg was a bit odd and too soft, but he wanted to try it although he probably won't next time. We got seats at the counter, so we got served in actual bowls and the portions were large. We also got the broccoli and banh mi poutine fries to share. The sides were excellent. Dirk loved the ramen and I thought it was quite good, but I might get spicy next time. Friendly and quick service too. Look forward to our next visit and hope they expand hours and their menu.

Pros: all vegan ramen, fast and friendly, easy parking at market garage

Superb Ramen / Cool Location - Edit

This is the newest restaurant in LA's legendary Central Market.

I ordered the poutine and OG Ramen.The Ramen came with a vegan hard boiled egg. Although the egg looked like the real thing, the experience was like eating gelatinous sesame seeds. I cannot say it was exceptional tasting, but fun to try. I cannot stand the taste or smell so eggs, so it felt weird to see a hard boiled egg in my bowl of ramen.

The broth was strong and flavorful, and a bit on the spicy side which I like.The noodles were very fresh, and there was little broth which I prefer.

Other than the egg being a bit odd, the ramen itself was excellent, and some of the best ramen I have ever had.

The last and only time I have had poutine was in Vancouver, Canada, and it was very unusual to see a Japanese restaurant offering this dish.

I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Great Vegan Ramen, Cool/Lively location

Cons: Service can be a bit slow

Yummy and Filling - Edit

Stopped by for lunch and wow, is this place fast and delicious. My order was up so quickly and the portion was huge. I highly recommend the spicy ramen- it's just the right amount of heat. Also had a side of the broccoli, YUM!

Yummy Ramen - Edit

The ramen soup noodle is delightfully tasty and satisfying. The broth is full of flavor. The colorful presentation and tasty texture of the king oyster mushrooms make it all the more interesting and fun. What I'd like to see is more choices of the ramen, besides the two options of normal and spicy ramen. For example, a tempura udon soup noodle would be nice - it's one of my favorites from a Japanese restaurant.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 30, 2015

Pros: Good food, Friendly and fast service, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Limited menu items, No dessert or drink options, A bit on the pricy end

Spicy Ramen - Edit

I came here during the lunch rush and the line moved quick. When you eat at the bar they serve you. If you eat on the surrounding tables your food is packed to go. The price is fair for vegan ramen. I've had my fair share of ramen before I made a life style change and went vegan. I have to say this is the closest, so far, to authentic ramen I have tasted. The broth was thick and rich full of flavor. As for the egg it's more for decorative purposes than anything. I highly recommend this place if you're craving ramen.

New Vegan Spot GCM - Edit

Ramen Hood, its like Robin hood but with vegan ramen. I tried the cucumber salad and spicy ramen with a vegan egg. Really enjoyed both dishes the fried garbanzo beans in the salad were great. There are two choices of ramen regular and spicy which was very spicy for my taste but still good. I want to try some of the other interesting sides like banh mi poutine.

At the time they are only open during lunch hours I believe 11:30 to 3:00.
Updated from previous review on Friday November 20, 2015

Pros: Delicious vegan food, friendly staff

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ramen Hood closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2424 times since Nov 2015.