Rama

Contact 7272490

Krisjana Barona 56, Riga, Latvia, 1011

Hare Krishna affiliate vegetarian eatery. Offers a display of sweets and pastries as well as savory food like rice and vegetable dishes. Near corner of Barona and Gertrudes iela, across from Martas iela. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-7:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by juliotnunes

Disappoined - Edit

I had been recommended Rama by the locals and on a few websites. But I guess, it is no more the same as in the past. The food was prepared in advance and I would consider it expensive for the amount served. Also, the staff seemed to be very cold with no smile at all. Will not visit or recommend.

Pros: Vegetarian food , Large menu

Cons: Expensive

Overpriced for what you get - Edit

I visited Rama several times during my previous visits to Riga and now, after a long break, I was looking forward to visiting it again. Unfortunately, the experience was really disappointing.

The selection now is huge, but the ladies behind the counter are not very polite.

The food is not freshly made, a lot of dishes are with a lot of oil and flour. Fortunately, there are some vegetable dishes, too.

For a plate of food I paid 8.5 Euros, which would have been OK if the food was a bit more healthy and freshly made. But now it felt a bit like a rip off, esp. having in mind that the place is more like an eatery.

Pros: Good if there is nothing better, Easy to find

Cons: Very fatty lukewarm food, Overpriced for what you get

great for vegans - Edit

I loved this place. there is a large buffet area downstairs with many clearly marked vegan options. server speaks English and is happy to answer questions and knew which dishes were vegan and which were not. prices are very reasonable and buffet gets charged by weight or by item - we paid about €5 for buffet main and drink. drinks are cheap too. whole atmosphere and interior is Indian / yoga style. large dessert section - mainly vegetarian. additional seating upstairs.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff, much choice

Cons: all menus / signs in Latvian only

A good place, lots of vegan options - Edit

I had an eggplant salad, TVP in tomato sauce and a coconut date ball for dessert. None of it was spiced with curry and it was all delicious and cheap. Plenty of vegan options, too.

Pros: Tasty food, Good vegan options, Inexpensive

Cons: Limited drinks available

Spices - Edit

Rama is mainly offering vegetarian options. Almost everything using Indian spices and flavours.
The taste is fine, however, since I value health over taste(for ex. no fried food goes down to my tummy) there is almost nothing left to choose from.
The place definitely has some interesting wibe, though, you get very little for moderate price.

Pros: nice indian flavors, location

Cons: unhealthy, one vegan dessert option, religious atmosphere

Good vegetarian food - Edit

They have a happy hour that begins at 7PM and you can get a discount on all the food then. However, by that time most of the food is gone and there are only limited options, so it is only recommended if you are not very picky. The nice thing about this place is they have Latvian vegetarian choices such as vegetarian pelmeni, mushrooms, Latvian soups, etc. On weekdays, you can sit on the second floor and it is much less crowded than the first floor. If you want to eat dinner here, I recommend you go at around 5PM so you still have a lot of food options.

A big plus is that they are open on Sun.

Pros: good food, Latvian choices, open on Sun.

Good food and an oddly atmosphere. - Edit

Don't visit this location if you think, it is important to feel 100% welcome. The staff was a bit rude and not able or in the mood to speak English. The obviously religious background gave me the creeps. On my walk to the dirty and only toilet I got lost, so my walk ended in front of a huge and ugly altar, or something like that.
But I also have to say that the food was really good. We found a buffet with a wide range of mainly vegan food and it was very cleary labeled, if the food was vegan or just vegetarian.
If I find myself in Riga ever again, a second visit at Rama would be guaranteed, because it is simply not very easy to find a restaurant with vegan dishes in Latvia.
4 cow heads for a veg. restaurant in Latvia, means 3 cow heads for a location like Rama in Berlin, Vienna or Stockholm.
By the way: You can over-fill your belly for about 5 Euro there.

Pros: Very cheap., Tasty.

Cons: Hospitality., Hare Krishna nonsense.

A Great Spot! - Edit

I thought it was just fine. No linen tablecloths and candles, but a good variety of appetizing veg foods at modest prices. Bright, clean cafeteria-style operation, offering a good selection of hot and cold foods: mains, salads, desserts, drinks. Best veg food in town! Served by competent Krishna womenfolk. A distance from city center, on Barona near Gertrudes, but streetcars 6 and 11 from center go right by it for 70 centimes. I'm going back!

Pros: variety, value, protein!

Cons: distance, not open later

Well... - Edit

....I was a little bit disappointed when I visited Rama last week (July 2009). Compared to my visit three years ago the food was not so tasty this time. But, my experience from other Krishna restaurants is that food can differ very much from time to time depending on the people working in the restaurant at the moment. Lets hope for better food next time I visit Riga!

super smashing lovely - Edit

We ended up going back several times during our time in Riga. The food was of very high quality, served cafeteria style. the value for money is the best I have ever experienced. It is however somewhere to eat rather than somewhere for a Romantic meal.

Pros: cheap, delicious, healthy

Cons: busy,, popular, full

Excellent and cheap food - Edit

I was here with my family (husband and kids aged 3 & 7) on July 8 and 9 for lunch. This place is very good value and has healty vegan and vegetarian food. It can be a bit full at lunch time and a bit stressy if you have to ask about the food. But very good food that everybody could eat and liked.

When I was planning a group trip to Latvia this winter I called them to make a reservation. But since they close at 7 p.m this was not an option for us. Then the person I spoke to in English told me about the other veggie rest. in Riga, Kamala and recommended me to go there (!). He even gave me the phone number. Very helpful and unselfish.

Pros: Good value, Healthy food, Helpful staff

Rama, Riga - Edit

I haven't been myself but a friend who has been told me the following by email:-

"I went to this Rama healthy food place!!! Fantastic!!! food was lovely! I'll be
going back one day soon."

Pros: Lovely food

Cheap and cheerful - Edit

The emphasis isn't on ambience or mood lighting and the staff aren't the most helpful ever encountered but for cheap plentiful (mostly) vegan food you won't find much better in Riga. If you have a vegan passport it may be helpful in Rama as I struggled to explain veganism without it! Everything's priced item by item and is all very very cheap and for a good cause. Especially recommend the homemade ginger tea!

Pros: Cheap, Plentiful, Tasty

Cons: Not particularly central

Return to Riga Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rama closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5960 times since Aug 2007.