Rainbow Cafe

Contact 502-7832-1919

7ma. Avenida Sur 8 (at corner of 6th Street), Antigua, Guatemala,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegan options like Israeli falafel with hummus, salad, and pita bread, rice and beans, tofu stir fry with vegetables and white rice.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Non-veg

First Review by Patabugen

Find some peace here! - Edit

Really liked this place. Such a laidback atmosphere, very relaxing. Had lunch here: myself a sandwich with grilled vegetables, my boyfriend one with hummus and avocado. The day after we got dinner: I had the tofu stir fry and my bf the vegetarian (not vegan) nachos which were really loaded. Very tasty food, nice service, there was also a singer-songwriter that night and we stayed to have a beer. Would really recommend!

Pros: Nice food, good portions, Friendly staff

Cons: Limited vegan options

Fresh and Delicious. - Edit

My husband and I visited this cafe for lunch. Easy to find. Very hipster feel to the cafe (great decor). Menu clearly outlined vegetarian and vegan options with lots of choice. Food was fresh and very tasty. My husband ordered the lunch special which included a tomato and tarragon soup with a eggplant and salad pita which also came with salsa and salad (a slightly small sized dish for him) for Q35. I ordered the tofu stir fry for Q49. Both absolutely delicious. Moderately priced. Would definitely return again. In fact we did! This time I had the tomato and basil soup with baguette and he had the vege nachos - these looked impressive. I managed to have a couple of chips not covered in cheese and yes, they were delish!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 02, 2015

Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 02, 2015

Pros: Menu also in english, Great atmosphere, Wonderful staff

Nice Breakfast, Decent Lunch - Edit

The breakfast at Rainbow is nice and at a good price. I had the Desayuno Chapin which has two eggs scrambled or friend, black beans (that are delicious) fried plantains and tortillas. Comes with delicious Guatemalan coffee and fresh OJ. The prices are pretty good too.
Lunch is alright but not as good as the breakfast.
The service is super friendly and the atmosphere is lovely as the seating is in an open courtyard/garden.

Pros: Yummy Breakfast, Cheap, Lovely Atmosphere and Service

Cons: Lunch is a bit overpriced, Lunch portions can be small

Disappointing stir-fry - Edit

I went for a dinner the other night and gave a try to the tofu stir-fry. The rice and veggies were fine. The tofu was good. Unfortunately the cook ruined it by pourring half the bottle of hoisin sauce, which gave the whole plate a sticky candy sirup taste (excessively sweet and liquid) Wouldn't have been of that, it would have been good. I doubt the cooks ever tasted their own stir-fried. That's the only way they could have make that mistake.

Pros: Room & Lighting , Music band , Service

Cons: Bad vegetarian food, Low comfort - Chairs, Low choice of appetizers

Tasty food in a very veg-friendly place - Edit

A wide variety of vegetarian/vegan options, including nachos, falafel, soups, rice & beans, garlic bread, etc. Prices are reasonable and about what you'd expect in a place like this. My kids loved the food so we ended up eating here a couple of times. A Westerners hangout in Antigua (for better or worse) with open-mike night, and regular musical acts starting around 8pm. Can be quite crowded on some of these nights. Centrally-located in Antigua.

A nice place with good food and board games! - Edit

The falafel may not be presented in the Israeli style, but it was sure tasty. The atmosphere is also great, though it was empty while we were there. And they had a wide selection of board games available :D

Pros: Vegan Options, Wholesome, Board Game

Cons: Small-ish portions

Return to Antigua Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rainbow Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1383 times since Nov 2011.