Rainbow Bird Rendezvous

03-37915470

1-1-1 Yutenji Meguroku (at Yamate St), Tokyo, Japan, 153-0052

Selection changes seasonally with vegan versions of Japanese food like karaage, hamburg, tonkatsu, potato croquette, curry rice, and salad. Has smoothies and desserts including raw. Last order 1 hour before closing. Open Mon-Tue 11:30am-4:00pm, Mon-Tue 5:30pm-8:00pm, Thu 11:30am-4:00pm, Thu 5:30pm-8:00pm, Fri 11:30am-4:00pm, Fri 5:30pm-8:00pm, Sat 11:30am-8:00pm, Sun 11:30am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Organic, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by mittenko

Great option in Tokyo - have the chocolate cake! - Edit

This cafe near Naka Meguro was really good. In cherry blossom season I would definitely recommend walking here via the cherry blossoms lining the river - it was beautiful! The staff were great, they have English and Japanese menus, dinner was tasty and I tried some Japanese white wine which was really nice. The chocolate cake for dessert was great! Would definitely recommend dining here.

Pros: Great food, Good value, Friendly staff

Love this place! - Edit

I love Rainbow Bird Rendezvous. The food is so clean and delicious. I absolutely love the ice cream & sundaes. So good. The deep fried soy meat is definitely a favorite, but I've had everything on the menu and was never disappointed. It's affordable and delicious. The atmosphere is warm and comfortable. Highly recommend.

Pros: Great vegan food, Friendly service, Nice atmosphere

Modest atmosphere, great tasting food. - Edit

The place sits close to 20 people. They have picture menus with English and Japanese descriptions. It all looked delicious; we had the Hamburg and deep fried soy meat set which came with rice, soup, salad and vegetables in pesto. We also had a lemon cake and rum and raisin soft serve for dessert. The lemon cake didn't taste very nice to me but the rum and raisin ice cream was really delicious! The couple next to us had the basic maple soft serve and said that it was disgusting so maybe go for one of the two more expensive soft serves on the menu.

Meals range from 700-1550¥ (1550¥ was a set).

Ice cream between 400-750¥ and cakes around 400¥ (but I got the lemon cake and it was so teeny!)

So overall, great place- all savoury food seems great but I wouldn't recommend the maple ice cream or any cake, but I definitely would recommend the rum and raisin!!

Pros: Delicious savoury food, Rum and Raisin ice cream!, Quick service and food

Cons: Too small cake

Nice food, great dessert... - Edit

This place took some finding but luckily a friendly shop assistant was able to help me when Happy Cow's map couldn't quite get me there. I arrived and was served graciously by one of the staff. I started off with a smoothie, which was quite nice and went down quickly. For my meal I ordered the potato croquette plate, which included soy meat, salad and a chick pea curry with pickled vegetables and salad. While the dinner was nice enough, there was only one small potato croquette among a lot of soy meat. The soy meat was nice but I hadn't expected it to be the main dish. Dessert was the highlight: a delicious vegan crêpe with vanilla soy ice cream melting just enough that it didn't turn to liquid before you could eat it. A fairtrade coffee complemented this nicely. I came back a couple of weeks later with a companion and had a similar experience with the tofu steak (less tofu more soy meat) and the vegan soft serve (delicious dessert).

Pros: Nice food, Great dessert, Fairtrade coffee

Cons: Meal dominated by soy meat

Recommended visit! - Edit

The food here is lovely, but the staff were even lovelier. The owner/chef is so friendly and chatted to us in English and remembered us the next time we came back (he remembered us saying we wanted to lick our plates the previous time!)There is a very nice relaxed atmosphere inside and the décor is quite homey. There is an area where they do some sort of treatments including massages.

The menu is not as extensive as some other restaurants, but it is good quality. The dessert crepes are definitely my top recommendation to try here. The surrounding area is quite nice to wander around and there is a Natural Lawson where you can buy Ecover cleaning products.

lovely place - Edit

The food here is very nice, and the menu is in English. It was quite expensive, but the portions were big and it really was delicious. For 1550 yen, I got brown rice, a cup of veg soup, a little bowl of noodles and picked veg, a huge salad, a small portion of chickpea curry, and some deep fried soy meat. Yum! The location is a bit out if the way. I also think the map on happycow is slightly wrong (but it might be that I was slightly lost). Coming from nakameguro station, you need to keep going a bit further than the map shows. But the cafe is well signposted.

Pros: delicious food, English menu

Cons: location

Worth the trip - Edit

While Ebisu is not on the destination list for us, the Rainbow Bird Rendezvous has changed that. The staff is very friendly, and they do have someone who speaks English. The food was great! The plate had several items, all with different flavours and textures, which made for a great meal. This is from a non vegan eating reviewer. Put this one on your list to check out while in Tokyo.

Good food at RBR - Edit

While walking around starving and staring at various pictures and wax sculptures of the food on offer at all the near by restaurants, we happily chanced upon Rainbow Bird Rendezvous at the end of the road (near the train tracks). With a sign outside stating 100% vegan.
On offer were various meat substitute meals, accompanied by salad, pickles and miso soup.
All were quite good, the meat substitute thing (how descriptive of me) tasted fantastic and was very reasonably priced.
The owner also speaks fluent English, which is nice if you're hopeless like I am, and can not speak or understand any japanese.

Pros: English speaking staff, healthy and vegan, Cool area

Nice place. - Edit

Good food in a relaxed atmosphere.

- R

Favourite local - Edit

I'm really glad that this place is close to our home, a cozy little cafe/restaurant, with a small selection of meals, but with heaps of smoothies, cakes and other products to buy.

Menu changes daily(?), although there are some items that stay on constant.
A dish costs around ¥1,000, which fills you up well, it is delicious, but I'm not a huge fan of their soup :-)

So yeah, get in if you are in the area, or maybe make a trip for it, because it's worth it. It's a bit hipster, but that's something you would expect from a place like this in Japan.
They do take away, delivery and host small parties.

Pros: friendly service, good taste, good price

Cons: the music is a bit annoying sometimes, but no bigg

New favorite restaraunt in Japan! - Edit

So glad I stumbled across this place when I lost my way home from Nakameguro! The food here is incredible, and nearly entirely organic. Compared to other Japanese restaurants, the servings are bigger, more diverse, better for you, and tastes amazing! The staff is really friendly as well, and one of the chefs speaks decent English if you need help. I recommend the vegan karaage (balls of fried daizu beans)--it typically comes with brown rice, two sides, miso soup, and a small salad. Oh, and the soy ice cream is not to be missed either! Goes great with their organic coffee.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, healthy

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rainbow Bird Rendezvous closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.