First Review by erin_zita

Closed? - Edit

We stopped by Ragamala today and it sadly appears to be closed. I checked in on the Indian crafts store near it and the man working there said the restaurant is "done, finished".

Great vegetarian food and Indian atmosphere in Nar - Edit

We were on a Monday in Nara and realized that the restaurant we wanted to go (Kinatei) had closed. So we went for option two, Ragamala, which was also very close to the pagoda.

Interior:
To cite JesseD: "The interior is draped with Indian furnishings and other items (including a small shop selling trinkets, spices etc)". Fits the description perfectly well :-)

Staff:
Very friendly. We did not start any conversation so I can not make any comments about how well English is understood and spoken, but we had no problems ordering in English

Menu:
English menu is available. Menu costs around 1'500 Yen and were large enough to make me stuffed more than good.

Personal statement:
Absolutely one of the cleanest vegetarian restaurants I had in my 10 days in Japan so far. It has an "alternative" look but lacks the "dirtiness" that often comes with it.

Pros: Nice and clean ambiente, Very friendly staff, Price / Quality & Amount very good

Cons: A bit hard to find, -, -

Delightful Indian enclave in Nara with great food! - Edit

We chose Ragamala because it was closest to where we were at the time, and expected the typical 'curry+rice' Indian meal had anywhere in Japan, but were in for quite a surprise. The interior is draped with Indian furnishings and other items (including a small shop selling trinkets, spices etc), which made a charming atmosphere and very pleasant stop for lunch. The owner understood veganism well, and made the 1500 Yen lunch set - which was an absolute feast - all vegan, including soy yoghurt. This was one of the best Indian meals I've had in Japan, all for 1500 Yen. With only one day in Nara I didn't get to try any of the other restaurants to compare it to, but I'd still confidently say that this is a must-visit while in Nara.

Pros: great food, well priced, charming atmosphere

Great option for vegetarians in Nara - Edit

The vegetarian restaurant we planned to visit in Nara was closed and we had no idea where else to eat. Luckily we stumbled upon Ragamala. Everything was vegetarian and we paid 850 yen for a lunch set meal. There were a few options - I had a filling chickpea curry, rice and a drink. The food was tasty and the restaurant had a chilled atmosphere with Indian furnishings and cushions on the floor.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value

Return to Nara Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Ragamala closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.