Radost FX Cafe

Belehradska 120, Praha 1, Czechia (at backside of St. Wenceslas Square Museum, Metro Museum and I.P. Pavlova), Prague, Czech Republic, 120 00

Serves meat, vegan options available. Brunch menu also has smoked salmon, so is not all vegetarian. Large gallery divided into a music night club, day bar, music shop, lounge and vegetarian restaurant (vegtarianska restaurace). Extensive veggie food menu is also in English and features choices including soup, salad, pizza, pasta, sandwiches, Asian dishes, Mexican food, and more. Most dishes contain dairy and/or eggs. Regular menu has only a couple vegan dishes, clearly marked. Weekend brunch menu, served until 3pm, is American style with waffles, french toast, and has a few vegan plates. Also an extensive alcohol menu. Full menu from 10.30-5pm and 7pm-12am. Light food menu Thur-Sat from 12am-4am when the night club is open on those nights. Smoking is permitted except prohibited from 11am-3pm. Directions: IP Pavlova subway stop. Or short walk from St. Wencenslas statue facing the Museum, go right and then left to the backside of the Museum. Open daily.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Italian, Beer/Wine, Catering, Greek, Non-veg

First Review by Poundie

Cool place. - Edit

This place functions as a cafe during the day and a night club during the night. The decor is beautiful with funky painted walls and crazy lamps.

The menu had several vegan options, the entire menu being vegetarian. I had been craving Mexican food and was happy to see several burrito options. The server spoke broken English though was able to make a burrito vegan for me. She was very knowledgeable about veganism and what dishes could be modified. There was also an extensive drink menu. This place was definitely expensive for the Czech republic, especially the drinks.

Good cocktails and food - Edit

We came here twice, one time just for cocktails in the night and another one for lunch. The cocktails are good and price ridiculous compared to other European countries (3,5/4€).

Lunch was alright, but not the best we had in Prague. The daily menu is really cheap, around 7,5€ for a soup, main dish and dessert.

On the menu they have burgers, Asian dishes and pasta. Very large menu with around 30% vegan options.
Very friendly and helpful staff. The decoration is a bit tacky.

Super Brunch - Edit

Had brunch there. Waitress was overworked as it was quite busy and food took a while though.
I had vegan huevos rancheros. It was like a Mexican style breakfast with scrambled tofu, Mexican style potatoes. Separate vegan section on menu and staff spoke English well. The cocktails looked really nice too

Pros: Vegan Menu , Decor

Cons: Slow Service

Deserves better reviews - Edit

This restaurant is completely vegetarian with some 8-10 vegan options. The food is spectacular, definitely better than in any other veg restaurant in Prague. Location is great, prices are fair, portions of food are huge.

Pros: Great vegan options, Spectacular taste, Good quality/price ratio

Cons: Main part isn't smoke free, you have to sit in sma

Very nice experience - Edit

There should be more places like this one. Food is excelent, great taste, good price, the stuff is very friendly. You can choose from hunderd of diferent vegetarian meels from all ower the world. I recomand the visit to everybody

Pros: great food, excelent taste and good price, nice and friendly stuff

Excellent food, stunning interior - Edit

Excellent vegetarian food from all world, good music. Downstairs is very famous club. All my recomandation

Pros: music, delicious food, near by centrum

Cons: smoking in one part

Tons of veggie choices, better for bar/night out - Edit

Enjoyed our meal here but it wasn't anything too special. There were so many choices on the menu it seemed it would have been better if they chose a few to make incredible. I think I made the wrong choice with a salad, there was a nice selection of tofu burgers that my partner ordered, was more interesting than my order.

Large drinks menu too.

Great decor and atmosphere for night out or date. Enjoyed surrounding.

One waitress was particularly lovely and spoke English very well. She was very nice and not the stereotypical Czech service as we experienced in other places.

Good place but we probably could have just gone for a night out.

Pros: Great vibe, Romantic, Lots of choice

Cons: Too much choice

Used to be one of my all time Favourites - Edit

I have strong affections for this place, it was probably the first vegetarian restaurant that I ever visited in my life back in 2002 and have returned since then a number of times. Relaxed restaurant at the front which closes at about midnight, then food is served in the lounge at the back until at least 2 or 3am. Great vegan choice, cheap cocktails and fine beers. This place is a Prague establishment with a nightclub downstairs but the food is what I come here for. Unfortunately, it does now serve some meat and fish now so I skipped a visit here whilst in Prague in June 2013. Instead, I opted to go to the very good Loving Hut on Londynsá which is parallel with Belehradská on which Radost is located. Still, great memories of Radost and worth a visit because they still do good vegetarian food albeit prepared in a kitchen that also has meat in it.

Pros: food, atmosphere, cool

Cons: smokey, serves meat now

Lovely spot to visit - Edit

This place was my saviour when the event I was attending in Prague held their dinner meal in a very meat-heavy restaurant nearby. The food was generally pretty good and not too expensive, and it was nice to see that vegan options were marked on the menu.

Pros: Good food, Good size portions

Cons: A bit dark and gloomy, Not 100% vegetarian with fish on menu

too dairy oriented for me - Edit

First night we only checked this place out and drank some fresh ginger or mint tea, which tasted good. A day later we decided to eat here. My plate had mashed potatoes and vegetables, although not too many and it was covered by a layer of creamy (dairy) sauce. My wife had the popeye burger plate, which contained a lot of cheese. This restaurant is too dairy oriented to be called vegetarian in my opinion.

Cons: too dairy oriented

Impressive Food Menu but Smoky Space - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and made the effort to stop in on a past trip to Prague. Here's my Radost FX Cafe review.

I was impressed with the extensive multi-ethnic cuisine menu. The brunch menu was impressive as well. For our dinner meal, my husband ordered a Asian vegetable stiry fry served with jasmine rice; the rice was too hard and the veggies tasted just okay. I got the Popeye sandwich, which was a spinach hazelnut pattie burger topped with mushroom & melted cheese in a toasted foccacia bread and served with a side of cous cous salad; this was very tasty and filling.

Overall the food was all right. If you don't mind the smoky atmosphere, come here for the large selection of veggie food.

My complaints are: the atmosphere was uncomfortable for us because people were smoking around us. Also because this restaurant shares a space with a night club, it felt a bit on the grungy side.

Suggestion for improvement: Make the restaurant completely NO smoking at all times.

Pros: good selection of food & drinks, good music, prompt service

Cons: a bit grungy, too smoky

Disappointing - Edit

Me and my boyfriend went to the Radost today. From the website and the menu the place seems really promising and we expected much even though there were not that many vegan dishes. The atmosphere is nice and friendly even many people were smoking there. The staff was friendly and English speaking but couldn't answer requests concerning the dishes. As I ordered grape leaves which were supposed to be vegan (marked as vegan on the menu), there was some tzaziki about which I wasn't sure and so we asked here. She didn't know what it was made from and went to the kitchen to ask. She came back and said it was made from cowmilk yoghurt... So if you go for a vegan dish, better check when you order...
And: in the english version of this starter they didn't mention that there are nuts (in the czech menu it was said).
Besides this very interesting happening- for a vegetarian restaurant, the food was acceptable but nothing special or very good. My boyfriend had something that supposed to be risotto but was rather some cheesy-milky mashed rice. The highlight of my "Hummus-Platter" was the hummus coming with not enough pita bread and some raw vegetables.
We were not really satisfied and will not go there again.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: food not really good, vegan marked food not necessarily vegan

Children's Food - Edit

Yes - It is vege - sort of - With EGGS and fish.
But its the kind of vege food that kids and teenagers would like.
Mainly mushy fast food with sugar in everything.

Pros: cheap, friendly

Cons: Too much SUGAR, Unsophisticated children's food

Very happy with the food - Edit

I live in Vienna & have been known to use excuses to visit Prague just so I can eat once more in the best veggie restaurant in central Europe. Sure they need to have a dedicated non smoking section, but this will happen soon, just like in a number of other European countries where it's banned. It really recommend the Tofu/Cashew Stirfry with a good Czech dark beer & for dessert, Every Rabbit's Dream Carrot Cake with a cappuchino. Be sure to sit out the back, the seating is crappy in the front.
PS: the music store at the front of the cafe has an excellent range for eclectic tastes. :-))

great place - Edit

This is a nice place to go for lunch and a few beers. My partner & I shared the middle eastern platter which was delicious & filling. It consisted of vine leaves, hummous, spicy aubergines, bread & salad.

Pros: relaxed atmosphere, good food

Disapointed - Edit

After reading all the good reviews about the Radost I and my
girlfriend decided to visit it during a recent trip to Prague. I must admit it was not the best time for a meal; we were there at 17hs so not a real lunch nor dinner time but the kitchen was open anyway and we were happy to that we could eat there. The prices are Europe average (about 8-10€ for a main dish) and the food is was not bad. What disappointed us, however, was that we could easily tell that the food had just been warmed in a microwave!! We had the Ratatouille and the Refried Beans and apart from the salad which was maybe fresh, the couscous, the ratatouille and the beans were definitely not freshly made! Neither the sauces that accompanied the refried beans, which were probably just taken from the refrigerator! Anyway, it must just have been a bad day or a bad timing but from the reviews we had much
higher expectations from this place. Clear Head was definitely better!

Good veggie food - Edit

Good fresh food with a reasonable choice. Well priced. Deserts were a little disappointing but would still go again. Do not take credit cards so make sure you have enough cash!!

Pros: Location, Tasty food

Cons: Smoky atmosphere, do not take credit cards

rich, heavy milk-based food, but late night - Edit

nice people, pretty cool place (though certainly not one of the "best bars in the world" as it is sometimes rated). most of the food has cheese, and it's rich food, where cheese or cream is an excuse for culinary expertise. I like the balls and mash (veggie meat balls and mash potatoes). for $20 you can get that, 2 glasses of wine and an absinthe. Hm... their menu and prices are online so see if it works for you. Downstairs is a club that play pretty typical music, but if you aren't a music purist like me, it may be just the ticket.

Pros: ambiance, reasonable, nice people

Cons: rich, cheesy food, hearty not elegant

A good place in a good location - Edit

This is a very nice place, with a nice atmosphere, and is one of the only veggie/vegan places out of the old city - which is a great plus if you don't want to go to the centre each time you wanna grab a bite.
The prices are fair, the variaty is quite good (including explicit marks on vegan dishes), and the staff friendly and English-speaking.
The one bad thing is that they seem to fill you up a little too much on carbohydrates. Both dishes we took had a huge pile of couscos/rice, and reletively less of everything else.
But again - a nice place with very good food.

Pros: Friendly and cousy, Good location, good food and value

Cons: Too many carbohydrates

Bad service and lung cancer alert! - Edit

Although the food was nice for dinner, when my family and I returned for brunch on a Saturday the service was truly unbelievable - what waitress believes scrambled eggs are vegan?! She yelled at us for about 10 minutes before we had to find a manager (who was very nice). Beware: there is little space in the restaurant, most people will be smoking, and the waiting staff do not speak english, nor do they like english-speaking patrons. Saturdays they serve fish and very, very little vegan food.

Pros: extensive dinner menu

Cons: unfriendly staff, very expensive, smoking

Fun place to eat and drink - Edit

We enjoyed this place, but we were there in the evening and there was a bit too much ambient smoke for me so beware. Great menu, available in English, and many, many beers and other drinks to choose from. It's also a bar, so live music, theme parties, etc. are offered. Use the IP Pavlova metro stop. It's only two blocks from there.

Pros: menu, food

Cons: cigarette smoke

Great for late nights - Edit

Good late-night spot you can count on after a night at the opera.
Great smoothie drinks.
Food is not the best in Prague for a vegan, but very good (sometimes it's great, but sometimes the kitchen is a little confused--I got a rock-hard avocado in my salad once).

Pros: Near Metro, Open Late, Cool nightclub below

Not a bad meal. - Edit

If you go a bit early (5pm), you can minimize your intake of second-hand smoke. The portions were very large and the food was pretty good. It is a bit pricey, as it is a trendy club/restaurant. I would recommend a visit if you are in Prague.

Pros: good portions, friendly staff

Cons: lots of smoking

Dilemma - Edit

I have mixed feelings about this place. Yes, it's got a nice ambience, good cocktails and plenty of tipsy british chicks. Their menu on the other hand is hit or miss. It is deceptive for one thing because it gives you the impression that there are 50 different dishes that you can choose from. In essence it all comes down to 5 or 6 principal dishes the rest being variations of these -- typical for lack of creativity. Servings are large, but that doesn't say anything about their quality. I have had good and bad food here. Stay away from tofu and mexican dishes. And I recommend you order their guacamole to satisfy your curiosity only, not to eat it. But keep in mind this is Czech Rep. we are talking about here and not California.

Simply the Best - Edit

Living in Prague as a vegetarian would be a constant hunt for animal-friendly food if it weren't for Radost. Radost is not only a completely yummy vegetarian restaurant (except for Sat/ Sun brunch when they inexplicably have salmon on the menu), but it's also the standard hangout for all native-English speaking 20 somethings. It's directly across from IP Pavlova (which, in Prague winter, is a MAJOR consideration when dining out). The portions are out-of-control huge... I recommend spliting with a friend if you dont like leftovers, and I would also recommend making a reservation pretty much any night of the week. Menus are in Czech and English and the entire staff speaks both. Don't leave a tip... its one of the few places in Prague where its included in the bill. My favorite thing about Radost... the food is DELICIOUS, you sacrifice nothing in taste for being an animal friend.

Pros: Tasty as can be, cozy, chic atmosphere, wide selection

Cons: not much vegan, smoky, spendy by Praha standards

did we miss something?! - Edit

We turned up this place expecting something amazing, however unless we missed somwthing then all we got was a menu full of egg dishes! Yuck. I'm not vegan but then I am also not fond of eggs. We ended up leaving and going elsewhere (probably Country Life...)

Pros: None!

Cons: Bad menu choice

OK place - Edit

This restaurant is located near IP Pavlova. It has a nice relaxed atmosphere, but the food is second class. I went to this restaurant with 3 others; one person loved her food, I and another person found our dishes far too spicy, and the fourth person found his meal far too bland. On the whole, this place is OK, but definitely sub-par.

Pros: relaxed atmophere, convenient location

Cons: too spicy or too bland

Return to Prague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Radost FX Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4912 times since Aug 2007.