Radhey Kitchen and Chai Bar

Contact 03-90778858

336 Brunswick St, Fitzroy, Victoria, 3065

Veggie cafe offering a daily menu of meals made with seasonal ingredients with international fusion flavors. Extensive chai and herbal tea menu. Free Wi-Fi. Opened June 2014. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Organic, Raw, Western, Fusion

First Review by Syamala

Really hasn't managed to reach its potential - Edit

I had not visited Radhey for some time, but having eaten here a few times recently I decided to update my review. The cafe has introduced the idea of displaying ready-prepared dishes in bains maries, which can be ordered and served quickly. Unfortunately, having tried a couple of the dishes more than once, I can say they were generally bland and disappointing. The tofu curries I ordered on two occasions had barely any flavour both times and the first time contained literally one cube of tofu. The vegan moussaka and chickpea bake were largely mashed potato and similarly lacked flavour. Really the only meals I have found half-decent here were the burgers and even they were not outstanding.

Updated from previous review on 2014-09-17

Cons: Bland counter dishes

Bland and Rude - Edit

Tried to go for my second visit last Saturday,but was deterred by a rude female attendant who after saying can I help you shifted her attention to an arrogant male customer who butted in with a question.The attendant then decided to serve him totally cutting me off.Needless to say I walked out.Our first visit some 6 weeks earlier was plainly uninspiring.Bland standard Hare Krishna curries and salads with boring décor to match.Really these days non meat eateries can't afford to be stuck in the 70s!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-29

Pros: Vegetarian,albeit uninspiring

Cons: Rude Staff, Boring menu

cosy! - Edit

Went on vegan day out. Had a nice coconut and pineapple smoothie. Couldn't taste the pineapple but still good!! We had apple crumble with vegan icecream. Next time will try the chai!

Updated from previous review on 2016-04-04

Pros: cheapish, cute place

Lovely little place - Edit

Had lasagna and arancini, both were very good and relatively cheap. Food is served very quickly, as it is served canteen-style. The interior was very cosy, reminding me a lot of little cafes in the Netherlands. would definitely recommed.

Filling and reasonable price - Edit

I thought the food was very generous portions...but a little bland. The iced chai was really good with the vegan ice-cream! Friendly & helpful staff.

Pros: Generous portions, good value, friendly staff

Cons: food a little bland

great cozy date place - Edit

the cafe is very cosy and inviting and the chai and other beverages are really pleasant. it's a great place to go to relax and eat comforting food and its a lovely place to have a date~

Pros: the chai is really good, great portion sizes

Cons: not the best for sesame allergies

Nice place but needs a bit of work - Edit

Fell across this place just when we needed some lunch. Tempted by some interesting items on the menu like vegan meat balls which I ordered. A tad disappointing as these tasted and looked a lot like felafels - rather than their own taste - and the white boiled rice was tasteless and not very palatable (and less healthy than brown.) There were at least five things on the menu that were not available the day we went and after eating, when we asked for hot chocolate with vegan marshmallows, we were told we would have to wait at least half an hour - we didn't bother. All that said it was not over priced, the cafe was pleasant and its Hare Krishna background not rammed to far down your throat. Would visit again.

Pros: Convenient location

Cons: Waiting time

Great vibes, delicious food - Edit

We ordered the Tikka Asala curry of the day which came with lots of rice and salad:) We tried two cakes the raw cheesecake and raw bounty cake both were inhaled in minutes. I will definitely go back for the iced chai latte with vegan ice cream

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Inexpensive less than $17 for main and dessert

Healthy, fresh and creative - Edit

Came here for lunch with a friend. The food was very good, healthy, fresh and creative without tasting like healthfood, and the environment was pleasant. This may have been an anomaly, but we had something like a half our wait between when the first meal came out and when the second one did, and my friend ended up having to eat in quite a rush.

Pros: Fresh, healthy options, Vegan marshmallows

Cons: Slow service

Real tasty - Edit

Nice cafe with plenty of healthy vegan options. Went there for brunch but the menu is more dinner-like. Had a fabulous wrap with quinoa croquettes - healthy but very hearty too. They don't do coffee but
make wonderful hot chocolate with vegan marshmellows. We tried 2 of the raw cheesecake and these were soo delicious. The place is rather cold though, may be better to visit in summertime.

Pros: healthy, awesome deserts, nice staff

Cons: very cold inside, no coffee, not really a lunch menu

Understated and worthy of more patronage - Edit

I have visited Radhey Chai frequently in a short space of time and have enjoyed most of the items on the rather small menu.

Stand-outs include the "Vegan Meatballs" and the "Tandoori Tofu Wrap." The restaurant has a pleasant atmosphere with ambient music playing in the background. Definitely worth a visit.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 03, 2015

Pros: Well priced

Cons: Small menu

Often overlooked, but worth a visit - Edit

Something different on Brunswick street. Generally easy to get into with a small but varied menu, moderately priced with friendly service and honest food.

Cons: Poor signage

Cozy and Friendly - Edit

Been there a few times. Great and calm atmosphere (good for enjoying and digesting a meal), friendly staffs and owners are always available for a chat when not too busy. Make one feel at home. The owners are very conscious about providing clients with healthy, nutritious and tasty food. A lot of care has been put into the selection of ingredients.

Been a relatively new eatery, the menu is not extensive but there are still a good varieties. Since my first visit, they have added a few more dishes on the menu.

I have tried the meatball pasta, lasagne, salad, smoothies, laksa and burgers and they are really good, especially the burgers.

Unfortunately, I live in another part of town and don't go to the area often but do make it a point to drop in for a meal every now and then.

Pros: Healthy and tasty meals, Reasonably priced, Great atmostphere

Cons: Could be more varieties.

relaxed atmosphere and delicious food - Edit

This is my new favourite place!! I have had the vegan lasagne and vegan meatballs last time I was there. Both are delicious! I really like the relaxed vibe ( other vegetarian places on Brunswick Street can get quite loud and hectic) and I think the prices are reasonable. There is a $10 all day menu, with larger meals about $15. I will be going back a lot!

Pros: Almond milk option for coffee and chai!!

Cons: none

Relax and take it all in - Edit

Always great vegan options, there are (contrary to a previous review) some non-vegan options. Homestyle food, lovely curries, pasta, focaccia and other options. Vegan desserts and lots of raw food options.

Staff are lovely and open to a chat if they're not too busy. Relaxing vibe.

No caffeine or alcohol and an upstairs function room is also available.

As you might expect, lots of tea options too...

Pros: Many vegan choices, Fresh food, Friendly staff

Return to Fitzroy Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Radhey Kitchen and Chai Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2289 times since Jul 2014.