Quintal Bioshop

Contact +351-222010008

Rua Rosario, 177, Porto, Portugal, 4050-524

Biological grocery store and organic vegetarian cafe. The cafe offers sandwiches, soups, juices, and salads. Gluten free and raw food options. Store sells ecological products, homeopathy, naturopathy, and natural cosmetics. Organizes workshops on various topics. Free Wi-Fi. Mon-Sat 10:30am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, European, Portuguese

First Review by Erickac

lovely spot to relax - Edit

We went to the bioshop to have lunch outside in the beautiful little garden in the back of the shop. The atmosphere was very quiet and relaxed. The menu is very simple with 3 different options: prato (which is the dish of the day) + fresh juice, prato + soup, or soup + cake. There were 2 different dishes which you could choose from. We had the option between zucchini rolls (raw) and the chickpea curry with basmati rice. We went for the second option and a watermelon juice which were both very delicious. There you can really taste the difference in quality! :) The price for the menu was€ 7,50. However, you shouldn't go there too hungry as the portions are pretty small. We actually went to another place afterwards as we were still hungry. ;) Otherwise I would have loved to try their vegan ice cream or the carrot cake.
In the shop itself I found that they had only a very small selection of products which were quite expensive.

Pros: delicious food, nice atmosphere

Cons: small portions , quite expensive

Nice find! - Edit

A deli and a cafe at the back of the store. We went to the cafe to get some take away lunch, which was limited to only half the menu (sandwiches) but I managed to get some salad to take away. The owner made an effort to accommodate my request, which was nice.

Menu changes daily depending on the ingredients they can source. Tofu sandwich and salad were tasty and the banana cake was lovely too!

Pros: vegan ice cream, sunny patio

Cons: limited take away options

Great Shop - Edit

We visited this shop to find Soy yoghurt. And yes, found it :-). It was 8 pm, so we could only look at the charming little terrace and lunch area at the back of the shop.
The ladies in the shop really helped us with pointing out nice restaurants on our map in the area. They were extremly helpful and kind.

Next time we visit Porto, we surely go here for lunch. This place looks like a hidden treasure.

Pros: Friendly People, Nice atmosphere, Shop and lunch and patio garden

Great food peacefully done - Edit

We visited Quintal Bioshop for lunch and we timed it perfectly as not long after we arrived the cafe began to fill up. The menu was simple and we were able to choose a combination of difference dishes to suit our preferences. The menu itself did not appear to be set, but was more dependent on what fresh produce they had to hand, so we suspect this changes every day. The food was well prepared, extremely fresh and when we were there we had veggie burgers which reminded us of veggie haggis (in a good way). The cafe itself is bright and airy and also has a peaceful wee garden with chairs and tables under the trees. This was a lovely tranquil spot for lunch in an otherwise busy city. The cafe is also part of a well stocked wholefoods shop with many eco friendly and organic items for sale.

Pros: Quiet space, freshly made food

bad conditions - Edit

It's not the first time that we eat food in bad hygiene conditions. We had found dead smashed mosquitos on the food, fur of cats mixed in the food and today larvae on the cooked meal!the employees are not friendly and today we had to pay everything without eating! There was a time that before bringing the food to our table, they were applying cream on one other feets! They wear the apron for the food overall including to have them with the cats!and then they manage the food! They manage the money and after that they put the hands on the food without washing!!!!!!it has really bad hygiene conditions!!!and to finish you pay too much and they serve too little!
Don't go there!

leonormoreira Hello. I run the cafeteria at Quintal and I was very surprised with your review as I don't understand how everything could have went so badly wrong - and as for your writing not only once but several times. I wish you had shared your thoughts with me at the time if everything was so unprofessional and bad. I really cannot remember having served food after putting cream in my feet, or charging money for food people didn't ate, or collecting money and serve food without washing my hands. The damage is done with your negative comment on happycow, but I really wish you have told me your complaints at the moment.

Quiet, beautiful place where you can eat raw vegan - Edit

This is a place where you are treated kindly, in a relaxed atmosphere, where you can buy your organic supplies. They serve vegetarian, mostly vegan food. My favorite is the raw food they have. The zucchini rolls are delicious. You can have have just one, in the afternoon, or as part of a complete meal. The raw crackers, the raw sunflower seed paté, all these are must have. And there's a sense of constant innovation, that is exciting about it. The place itself, is very welcoming and good to go alone, and read a book, or finish a task at the notebook. Or be with friends, calmy enjoying the peacefulness and the company of Mizuna and Rucula, the resident cats. There is an inner patio (a quintal), too, with a tree.

Pros: Has raw food, Close to center, Peacefull atmosphere

Cons: Not open on sundays

Nice spot - Edit

At quintal bioshop you just feel at home. It's a laidback spot with two very friendly cats and nice owners. You can have a cup of tea, a good lunch or just a treat. The cafetaria is included in a bioshop.

Pros: Food, Friendly, Location

Very cosy & tasty restaurant! - Edit

What surprised me first when I arrived at the restaurant was the 2 cats who wandered by the place. As a cat lover I was more than happy when the 2 of them came to my lap while I was starting to eat.
The waitress kindly asked me if the cats didn't bother me though :-)
The place is a small cafe at the back of an organic shop.
On the day we went we tried the tofu/ black olives/ sprout sandwich and the soup of the day which was pumkin/coliflower. We paid 5.20€ for the 2 dishes!!!!
They didn't have any vegan dessert available though :-(

Pros: Price, Cats

Lovely Little Shop/Cafe - Edit

A delightful place, spacious, clean, simple but very tasty vegan/ veggie foods with some raw options. The staff/owners here are just so warm and welcoming. We had a little baby and they could do with a high chair. Other than that it was very homely. Check it out as one of the pioneers of Porto for healthy, bio foods. Stock up and support!

Pros: Friendly, Good Selection, Tasty Food

Cons: No Baby Chair, Hard To Find

Nice spot - Edit

We were staying in the hotel almost directly across from here (Eurostars) so this was a great find for us to have our breakfast. It was literally less than 15 seconds away from the front too of the hotel. The staff here are very nice and friendly the choice of food isn't too bad either. However, it does seem to be all served room temperature. They speak Spanish, english, and Portuguese...and maybe others. It was a nice quiet place to have breakfast. The only downfall for me was that there didn't seem to be enough sweet things to choose from. In the morning I prefer sweetish things (not cakes, etc.), rather than savoury. Also, I didn't like the idea of cats running around a restaurant. It made a place seem less professional, as well as being allergic to them. The shop part was nicely supplied too, with similar products that you find in places like Ireland. Is a bit pricey.

Pros: Friendly staff, Clean place, Good choice of foods

Cons: Cats running around restaurant, A bit out of centre, A bit expensive

Relaxing cafe, good food - Edit

We enjoyed a nice simple veggie curry and Somosa in the cafe, which had a relaxed vibe and decent wifi. They also offered soups, salads and juices - all at a good price. The staff are very friendly and can speak English. There was also a health food attached where you can find any veggie and vegan supplies you might need when visiting or living in Porto:-)

PERFECT! Amazing spot to chill out with friends - Edit

This is an amazing place to be chatting with friends or simply relaxing while having a snack. There are some vegan/vegetarian options, and most things are organic. I had a gingerbread/lemon tea with a slice of apple and carrot cake, and it was really good (we payed about 4,5€ for this - not that cheap, but not that expensive. I guess it's ok considering the type of food you're eating - organic, vegan options).

The space has a very relaxing and cosy vibe, it's really good to be chatting during the morning or the afternoon. The decoration is minimalist, but very modern without being too classy. I just loved the lamps. They have a backyard garden that's very appealing too. The staff were very nice too!!

Pros: Very cool environment, Cats running around make it familiar, Garden seems really cool too

Cons: Small area inside

If I lived in Porto I would spend my time here. - Edit

What a wonderful, wonderful place. In the front is a health-food store with all kinds of tea and spices as well as various foods, snacks and some cool artwork. The owner is a very friendly woman that speaks portuguese, castellano, and english. She works the front register in the health food store and is also the barista at the small and cozy cafe that is in the back of the store! This cafe has comfortable indoor seating and a small courtyard area with some outdoor seating, friendly cats, great coffee and this place is very accomodating to vegan requests.
I had a soy latte and toast with pumpking marmalade. Needless to say, the rest of my day in Portugal was destined to be near perfect after this lovely breakfast.

Pros: soy milk for coffee, assortment of jams, calming atmosphere

My new hangout place - Edit

I write this sitting in their coffe aerea. It is a very cousy place, with nice music and decor. The backyard (quintal) is an amazing place for a summer chill place.

Food is amazingly tasty and has a nice variety. The people working there are very friendly and make you feel welcome.

Store has an amazing selection of products, not just food but beauty and home cleaning selection. All afordable.

Pros: Affordable products, Welcoming staff, Relaxing environment

Cons: Slightly small

Wonderful food, owner, and patio - Edit

I ate here on my recent trip to Porto and will be coming back next time I am in town. There is not only a 100% vegetarian, organic store but also cafe. I had a sandwich and freshly squeezed juice. The food was fresh, healthy, and delicious. The cafe owner spoke great English and was very helpful and nice. There is an outdoor patio where you can sit to eat and to enjoy your food. They offer free wifi as well. In the patio out back, there are also 4 friendly kitty cats who live there and contribute to the welcoming, relaxing ambiance.

Pros: Healthy delicious food, Great ambiance, Cheap

Cons: Not open on Sunday

Return to Porto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Quintal Bioshop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4185 times since Aug 2012.