Quickie Too

Contact 253-572-4549

1324 Martin Luther King Wy, Tacoma, Washington, USA, 98405

Sister restaurant of Hillside Quickie in Seattle. Open Mon 11:00am-8:00pm, Wed 11:00am-8:00pm, Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Tue 11:00am-5:00pm, Thu 11:00am-5:00pm, Sat 11:00am-5:00pm, Sun 11:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out

First Review by punkinness

Amazing and scrumptious! WOW. - Edit

My husband and I both had the "Signature Plate" on a Sunday morning. We enjoyed every bite; smoked tofu, tempeh, roasted potatoes, tofu scramble, biscuit, polenta with gravy, blueberry muffin. Incredible! We were in Tacoma to drop our daughter at the train station. It's a rare occasion to be in Pierce County. We looked at the Happy Cow app, this place was nearest. What a fantastic surprise. A delicious, hearty meal, casual atmosphere, great jazz playing in the background. Our daughter had the waffles and she loved them! Would certainly come here again.

Drooling - Edit

I am local to the area and for some reason hadn't been until now. I regret not finding this restaurant sooner!!! I enjoyed the "Southern Comfort" supper and inhaled the Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and collard greens. The tofu steak was good but I should have gone with a tempeh or seitan. The Mac and cheese is the best vegan Mac I've ever had NO DOUBT. Like other reviews have noted service was a little slow but they are friendly and the food is well worth any waiting.

Pros: DELICIOUS food , Local family owned and operated since 1991, Quirky and unique atmosphere

Cons: Was very hot inside

Delicious! - Edit

We were driving back to Seattle, and used our Happy Cow app to find a place in Tacoma to get a quick bite. What a delightful lunch we had at Quickie Too. I had the Jamaican style Tempeh, lettuce, and tomato sandwich. My husband had the Reuben. Both were spot on delicious! Thank you Happy Cow for the tip!

Will not be giving another try - Edit

I attempted to call ahead to see if there was a wait and I couldn't get an answer at the restaurant. I called five times and not once was the phone picked up. When we walked in the place was near empty and we weren't even greeted by staff. We decided we would still give it a try but when we got the brunch menu it was different from what was online. We left and went down the street to a cafe instead. I don't care if it's the best vegan restaurant in town, I'm not going to dine somewhere the that poor of service.

Cons: dirty dishes out on the counter, poor service

Surprising! - Edit

We got a tip to try this place on our way fro Seattle to Portland. I may just be ignorant of the area, but I wasn't expecting much in the way of vegan cuisine in Tacoma.

My partner and I split a salad, the buffalo mac and yease, the Sweet Jamaican, and a cookie. I am actually looking forward to the next time I can pass through Tacoma!

Very yummy, large portions - Edit

The food here is so delicious, but prepare for either leftovers, or a very heavy stomach! They are a bit pricy, but the portions are huge. I wouldn't call it "junk food", but it is very heavy. Service is a bit slow, so give yourself some time. So worth it though!

Pros: Delicious, 100% vegan, large portions

Cons: pricy , slow service, odd hours

What a find - Edit

Stopped off for lunch today on the way back from Bellingham. We had stopped by yesterday but they close Tuesdays. So glad we made the effort. I had the Smokey Mushroom Melt and Ann had the Seitan Quesadilla. They were both out of this world. If you are anywhere within 50 mile of Tacoma GO THERE!!! The service was so friendly and helpful. We shall be going there again, not soon enough though. Thank you Quickie.

Pros: Food fabulous, Staff great

Cons: NONE

Jamaican-American comfort food - Edit

Huge menu with lots of options. Excellent smoked tofu... Amazing.
Had the Ruben and the TLT and kids burger. Both sandwiches were large portions and packed with deliciousness.

Pros: Bob Marley decor, best smoked tofu burger patty, huge selection

Cons: building is eh and misleading

best vegan food ever - Edit

I have been vegan for 14 years and have eaten all over the country including New York City and San Francisco, this is the best vegan food I have ever had bar none. Quite possibly the best food I've ever had. The food takes a long time, especially when it's busy but it is well worth the wait. Try the Mac n Yease!

Pros: fantastic food, great music , friendly staff

Cons: slow , somewhat pricey

don't judge the food by the building! - Edit

When I pulled up I was a little hesitant. I wasn't even sure it was still in operation. But I looked back on Happy Cow at the reviews and the most recent one was 2 weeks ago and everyone was raving about the food; so I went in. Now I too want to rave!! My meal was so yummy!! I had a burger with fries and a milkshake! It was amazing! I'm from out of town and staying close by and can't wait to go back tomorrow and try something else off the very full menu!
Don't let the outside fool you!

Great vegan diner food - Edit

I dragged my meat eating family up here for dinner and everyone loved it. It's got a nice atmosphere, the bathrooms could be cleaner, and the water could be cold, but the food was delicious and the service was nice. We would all definitely come back.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Bathroom could be cleaner, room temp water

Hey man is that Bob Marley? - Edit

Walking in the door seemed to be a task, but once inside I was pleasantly surprised. Cool little atmosphere with clearly the idolization of Bob Marley. The menu states 100% vegan and 98.5% Organic, which is pretty amazing. I did walk in pretty high and hungry after exploring the city so everything looked and sounded pretty delicious. Upon first being greeted I clearly began to notice poor customer service. I decided to order the 'Crazy Jamaican Burger' with sweet potato fries. This thing came out beautiful.. This was no doubt the most unhealthy vegan meal I could've ordered. They definitely use a lot of oil and the food itself was extremely high in fat. All in all I devoured the meal and was beyond satisfied. Great munchie food for just stopping by. I could see the place full with a lot of cool like minded souls. Around $15 for my meal, not too shabby. Overall great place, great food, service needs help.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Vegan

Cons: Service, Fat

A real benefit to Tacoma - Edit

This restaurant is always a treat for a visit. It is definitely unique and definitely different in many ways from its affiliate Plum in Seattle. The menu is very large and the portions are always very healthy in size. The proteins variety is strong with an assortment of tempeh, tofu, and seitan.
The brunch is always a great treat. The combination plates are bountiful with grits, potatoes, tempeh, tofu, seitan, biscuits, apples. It is a staple for the area and caters to a wide clientele.
Sometimes the service can be a bit slow and some of the food may have clearly been frozen recently. I've discovered that the best times to go for food and service are always when it is busiest with other customers. Highly recommended.

Pros: excellent food, large portions

Cons: service sometimes slow/nonexistent

Brunch is good - Edit

I was happy to end up here for brunch recently. I had never been here before, so Quickie Too was a nice treat. Food was good, portions were large. It was fairly empty when I arrived, and it was a full house when I left. My only real complaint was that I wish there were more greens on the brunch menu. I would definitely go back and eat here again.

Pros: Good Food, Friendly Staff, Large Portions

Comfort food in a comfortable place - Edit

My colleague and I both enjoyed our meals (and he's not veg*n). The mac'n cheese was good, but I will say a bit greasy. We opted for gluten free versions of the burgers and both were excellent. Oh yea, don't pass up the shakes and desserts! I'm looking forward to checking more menu options on my next visit to Tacoma.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: somewhat limited hours

Excellent Burgers - Edit

The food here is very good greasy diner type fare. The wait staff is really hit or miss. Sometimes friendly sometimes they almost ignore you. It takes awhile to get your food if they are busy at all so be prepared. Also they are not always open during their published hours. Sunday is brunch only. The mac and yease is worth the drive.

Pros: excellent food

Cons: so-so service, variable hours, run-down

woah momma - Edit

My friend has been urging me here for the longest time and we finally made it. Who doesn't go to Tacoma with a little sense of adventure? Speed usually is an issue when the waitress is also cooking your food. Go girl!
Haters gonna hate, pish! Even my kid ate without complaint and the $7 choc/pb shake was insanely delish. I'd be slappin hands if they got near my plate.
In summary, and I quote:
The end.

Good but Very Greasy - Edit

The milkshakes here are AMAZING. We also got a home style platter and a sandwich. For sandwich spread they use potato salad. It was very good! I really love comfort-y greasy bad for you meals, but even I couldn't handle this! It probably doesn't help that my husband and I don't know what portion control is when we go to eat out :(
It is in kind of a bad neighborhood though, but the food is worth it! Our server was very nice and laid back.

Wonderful Place... - Edit

Everything my wife and I had we loved, so much so that we ate there three times in one week. We tried the Jamaican Burger, Comfort Food plate, Veggie Parma, a couple of their wraps, half a dozen different cookies...and their OH SO GOOD soy milkshakes...the best!!! (Especially the Mexican Chocolate Shake) The menu is a mix of American and Caribbean.

Other reviewers have found the place dirty...I would say it is really just rundown, rather than dirty, although my wife and I did not use their restrooms. The atmosphere was laid back and comfortable, and we found the servers friendly, but not intrusive.

We're looking forward to the next time we are in Tacoma, WA, so we can try some other items on Quickie Too's menu. Yummy!

P.S. They make their own seitans, and smoke them and tofu as well, which they sell by the pound for take home.

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, wide variety

Cons: strange hours

Great Food relaxing cafe - Edit

I really enjoy the people working here they are all friendly. The food is delicous my daughter loves the mac and neese I love the Jamacian Burger my only complaint no gluten free burgers

Cons: no gluten free burgers

Good Food but odd servers - Edit

I have been here more than a few times. The food is really good but the servers are alway NOT friendly and really odd acting. It has caused my boyfriend to not want to go here any more. The building and interior are real crappy. The bathrooms are outside and SUPER crappy. They need to move locations to get more business. Oh and there hours are always different DO NOT believe the hours you see on the website ALWAYS call and ask for that days hours. I have gone here multiple times when there are supposed to be open and they are not. Huge bummer!

Pros: Good Food

Cons: Strange people, bad hours, dumpy building/bathrooms

Great spicy unique foods, my hippy vegans rejoice! - Edit

This place is not for everyone... what place is? But I f'n loved it. It is laid back, with spicy, creative foods. All my laid back, hippy vegans, this is the place for you and me. If you are expecting Plum Bistro like the people below me, you will be sadly mistaken but you can enjoy the food which is pretty amazing. As someone who doesn't like Plum because it is too upity, this is the place for me. If you don't like talking to homeless people, hanging out on MLK in Tacoma is probably not the place for you. This country creates a lot more homeless then it does vegan restaurants, the ratio is a little skewed, personally I don't mind it all. The service is slow and as a white guy I think they thought I was lost, or would freak out because something wasn't clean enough but it was perfect. I love spicy unique foods, I love the simple diner atmosphere and all the rasta and reggea posters, it makes me want to take a toke and then chow down on some great food.

Pros: amazing food, hippy, laid back chill place., unique

Cons: simple and not super clean

Loved the food, but too spicy for toddlers - Edit

This is the first time I've ever been to a vegan or vegetarian resturaunt, so I was thrilled to choose ANYTHING from the menu. My husband and I really enjoyed the burgers. Our one year old didn't have such a great time. He was bored, and the food was too spicy for him. We ordered sweet potato fries for him, but the fries were so spicy they made him cry. We didn't realize until after we had already given them to him how spicy they were.

While we were waiting for our food, a homeless woman came into the resturaunt and asked us for money. Also on the way back to our car at least 3 other people asked for money and cigarettes. It was off-putting, to say the least.

That said, the food was absolutely divine. I give the food 5 stars! If we go back, we will either have to leave the baby with a sitter or bring our own food for him.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: too spicy for small children, vagrants in neighborhood

Come for the food, not the ambience - Edit

If you want SUBSTANTIAL vegan food...this is it! The vegan "Mac n' Yease" is legendary and the burgers or the mashed potatoes will fill you happily.
We came based on the sister restaurant in Seattle (Plum Bistro) which is at a whole different level. We still have to give it 4 out of 5 stars!
Do NOT use the bathroom.

Pros: Vegan, Unique food, Careful meal preparation

Cons: Nastiest bathroom in the USA?, slower service, so-so ambience

exotic deliciousness - Edit

This place was really cool. Total vegan comfort food! However, do not come here in a rush: they are very attentive to each order and it takes a while to cook each one. It's worth the wait! We had lunch there one day (sandwiches, yummm) and dinner there another day (vegan country fried steak, sooo good). Plain, good ole comfort food, maybe not the healthiest, but freakin' good. And omg, the mac and cheese was amazing. Try this place!!

Pros: comfort food with jamaican vibe, casual, sweet staff

Cons: a little slow

Homey, with a Reggae Touch - Edit

Cozy little place you just might pass by if you aren't REALLY looking for it. The service is slow, I'll be honest, even though I didn't want to say anything that might be percieved as "negative"... The "vegan soul food" is nicely spiced and probably a bit more greasy than most "healthy-vegans" would prefer, but it is comforting, tasty and OH-SO-GOOD!
We love everything we've tried; sweet potato fries, mac-n-"yease", the seitan pastrami sandwich piled high Dagwood style and best of all, BRUNCH, which is a set plate, heaping full of their specialty items, potatoes, grilled tempeh, etc, etc...

Besides, you can't help but love a place where the only decorations are Ziggy Marley posters!!

Pros: Super-Tasty Vegan Soul Food, Brunch, Nice portions

Cons: Small, Somewhat slow service

Nicely Spiced & VEGAN - Edit

Very homey no frills establishment. Great healthy soul food. Try the smoked sweet potatos! I had several "sides" on one large plate with a scoop of homemade vegan ice cream and cookie for dessert. All incredibly scrumptous! The tab was $18.50 so not inexpensive for lunch.

Pros: taste, unique, healthy

Cons: price of sides, unkept surroundings, loud music

nummy - Edit

if you're in a hurry, better call your order in ahead of time. sandwiches, while they all have basically the same ingredients are all very tasty and large in size. the bread pudding is very tasty, the mock fish sandwhich is one of my favorites. lots of variations on the type of meat, including tofu there's also seitan and tempeh, millet and plantains are used too.

Pros: tasty, big portions, dont use styrofoam

Cons: slow service, hours

Return to Tacoma Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Quickie Too closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9192 times since Aug 2007.