Queen of Sheba

• Veg-friendly
Contact 813-872-6000

3636 Henderson Blvd (at W Swann Ave), Tampa, Florida, USA, 33609

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian cooking includes vegan suitable dishes like spiced vegetables, potatoes, and lentils. Teff and injera bread can be requested to be made gluten free.

Category: Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by maggi

Food was great, service was slow - Edit

The food was delicious (I had the veg combo #1) and the prices were very reasonable, however, the service was *very* slow that night.

We arrived at 6pm. There was one table of a mother and daughter, and our table. After we arrived another couple arrived. There was 1 waitress. While I can't say it ever got truly busy, I can say that she never checked back with us after the initial "How's everything?" never asked us if we wanted more water. After we were clearly finished with our food, she never came back to see if we needed boxes.

At this point 2 more groups came in, one group of 4 and one group of 5 and they sat at the back of the place, those seemed to take up her time. This was about 6:30. My friend and I were done by now, we were looking at our watches, commenting that it was relatively early. By 7pm, though we were still talking, the waitress still hadn't checked on us, when we would try to get her attention, she never did seem to make eye contact with us, she simply ghosted to the back areas of the eatery.

At 7:15 we had to verbally signal her to get us boxes, and to ask for the check. She then didn't remember them for another spate of time, we finally got out of the establishment at 7:44. The times are known because I made note. I would come back for the food, but the service was pitifully slow. Need more help in there.

Pros: Excellent food, good value

Cons: slow service

Careless - Edit

The food is good but on two separate occasions when I've dined here, I was accidentally served meat after specifying repeatedly that I was a strict vegan and being assured the dishes contained no animal products. During my most recent visit, my selection was supposed to be a vegan sampler and after I ate most of it, I tried what was supposed to be a fried pastry stuffed with lentils only to discover it was filled with beef. Likely, the other products I ate also contained animal ingredients as it was admitted the server brought me the wrong plate. The owner was very remorseful on both times that this happened and made my meals complimentary. But a free meal is not worth ingesting something I feel is disgusting. This is inexcusable when it occurs to the same person within a few months. Some of their cuisine makes it difficult to know if it contains animal product without trust, which I have lost after my most recent experience. If you're a conscientious vegan, eat here at your own risk. They may be vegan friendly, but they're not too careful about it.

Pros: Good food, ambiance

Cons: careless, small, expensive

A must for vegans in Tampa - Edit

This place offers vegans a wonderful variety of tastes and flavors. My husband and I shared the vegan platter of 8 for two people and couldn't decide which of the eight were more delicious. We loved the collards, lentils, mushrooms, and root veggies--a lovely variety of textures and tastes. Such a rare treat to find delicious vegan meals served with grace and hospitality for a reasonable price. We'll be back and recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Tampa.

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly service, Reasonable prices

Cons: Not in my home town :(

queen of sheba - Edit

very pleasant atmosphere, good food, good service. enjoyed a combination plate with lots of different foods to sample. the hot tea is delicious. prices are good.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Return to Tampa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Queen of Sheba closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2348 times since Jul 2011.