Quay Co-op Cafe - Sullivan's Quay

Contact 021-4371660

24 Sullivan's Quay, Cork, Ireland,

Provides an extensive range of vegan, yeast-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free food dishes from around the world. Self-service. Also a health food shop. Mon-Sat 8:00am-9:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Irish

First Review by Stevie

The fulchrum of Cork - Edit

Indeed the Quay Coop is the first place that comes to mind for Vegans and Vegetarians.

I love the place and I go there often but I really, really wish they would implement more vegan options.

The food is, to my opinion, very good, although some option are not as good as others, that might be where the bad reviews are coming from.

Someone was talking about non-vegan Cabdury hot chocolate, but as far as I know the Cabdury hot chocolate is actually just cocoa powder and sugar, I saw it in supermarkets and was surprised there was no dairy in it. Can anybody confirm?

Pros: The oldest and biggest space for vegans, Great customer service, Good food, good value

choice for vegans - Edit

I was a bit worried I'd starve in Cork but I needn't have worried. There were lots of vegan options and the staff were so friendly and helpful. I had a shepherd's pie which was incredibly tasty. I also had a scone with soy cream. Yum!

Pros: friendly staff

Delicious Choices for Vegans - Edit

Large variety of foods and desserts. Has sit down restaurant, bakery, as well as an onsite excellent grocery store.We were able to get sandwich ingredients for tour lunch stops.

Pros: Local, organic, Vegan dishes all marked clearly, Knowledgeable staff

Cons: Seating tight due to furniture

Priceles - Edit

Four of us ate at the cafe, Everyone happy with their food. Service is excellent and staff are friendly, helpful , nice people. The whole place has a nice feel, bright and airy and relaxed.
Vegan options , even deserts. The place has been remodelled and is very nice overlooking the river , plenty of extra seating upstairs.

The shop downstairs is big with a large range of goods. Many items not priced , made shopping difficult.

Nice and central - Edit

We ate here twice during our weekend visit to Cork. On both occasions we had nice meals and they adapted portion sizes to suit our daughter. The staff were friendly and the café itself was very relaxed and had a nice view overlooking the river. Would definitely go back if we visit Cork again.

Pros: Vegan Options, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere

Great to be able to eat vegan macro! - Edit

The Cork Quay Co-op is a great place where vegan macros can eat & where the staff are friendly & will to go through list of ingredients of dishes. Lovely atmosphere & moderately priced! Oh and the fun of having the treat of a Yannoh Cappuchino made with soya milk!

Pros: Vegan Macro options available, Sugar free desserts, Nice location

Quay Co-op Cafe - Sullivan's Quay - Edit

Simply a great place!
Really good and healthy food, many choices, large menu and great value.
During my stay in Cork I ate there twice and enjoyed my visits at Co-Op Café very much.
The first time I had a really decent burger with two salads, very good, the second time I had a lasagne with wedges and broccoli, which was even better. They have a notable range of salads and beverages as well. The range of cakes could be a tiny bit bigger and the cakes little cheaper, but apart from that the prices are appropriate.
The venue provides lots of space and many tables and the free Wi-Fi works absolutely fine. There were some original paintings from the local uni students when I was there, but I think this was only a temporarily exhibition. I liked that.
On top of that the opening hours are quite satisfying.
I would have to think really hard to find any kind of disappointment.

Pros: great vaule, opening hours, good Wi-Fi

Cons: cakes slightly expensive

Don't miss this cafe for a wonderful hearty meal! - Edit

My fiancé and I have been traveling Ireland with minimal vegan choices over the last week and have made most meals in our campervan when today we spotted Quay just near our parking spot. Immediately we were greeted by a friendly employee who took pride in showing us all the vegan options they had to offer. We were spoilt for choice and went with the vegan patties and shepherds pie. The pie was a stand out dish with amazing flavour and the patties were tasty but could have been improved if the were cooked for longer and dried out a little. The whole chickpeas inside were perfect! The meal came with two warm sides that were wedges (so tasty) and broccoli, this made for very large well priced meals! We wanted treats but were so full so we grabbed the chocolate cake and crumble to take away along with a large box of the salads for our dinner later on in our van. We just ate the cake and it was the best chocolate cake I have had since becoming vegan! Looking forward to salads and crumble later tonight! A must visit when in Cork! A huge thank you to the über friendly staff

Pros: Many vegan options, Vegan puddings, Large tasty meals

I really wanted to like it! - Edit

They serve huge portions of bland vegan food. The cafe is cute and inviting, I just wish the food made me want to stay. The cole slaw had more mayo than carrots or cabbage. The warm food wasn't cooked all the way through.

Pros: Good portions, Cute cafe, Very good customer service

Cons: Bland

If you are a vegan - Edit

As a vegan who goes there regularly, the food is good but it always seems to be the same 1-2 vegan options for starters, mains & dessert. Also, according to a member of staff, they have been serving Cadbury's hot chocolate and labelling it as "vegan", when in fact it is not. Imagine what would happen if someone had a dairy allergy and ordered it? Their fruit salad is good compared to most places.

Pros: Nice staff, Good location , Well-sized portions

Cons: Cadbury's hot chocolate (NOT VEGAN), meals wasn't really exciting, not very many vegan options

A Home From Home - Edit

Great food, lovely decor and calm ambience, lovely choice of soft music while I was there, free WiFi that works and, most importantly, lots of clearly labeled vegan options including several vegan puddings. Totally recommend the matcha mousse, unusual (for me anyway) and delicious. User-friendly opening hours and nice staff too.

I almost missed it as the first venue with their name on I came across was shut, but fortunately a friendly local told me they had moved just down the road.

Pros: Food, Lovely Place To Sit/work, Opening Hours

Cons: Almost Missed It, Not The Cheapest

Great cafe for vegans - Edit

Went here twice last week on a short break to Cork. On both occasions I left content and well fed! Plenty of tasty vegan options,and cheap! All the staff I met were helpful, keen and said they were lucky to work in such a great place.
Dined looking over the river in relaxed surroundings.

Can't recommend it highly enough

Pros: good range vegan options

Cons: none

Good hearty vegan lunch in Cork city centre - Edit

I went here on a Sunday afternoon around 3pm. There was one vegan option on the daily menu (lentil burger with tomato snd coconut sauce) and one vegan option on the specials (mixed bean casserole). Both of the hot sides (steamed veg and peri peri wedges) and all of the salads except two were also vegan. I got the lentil burger and two sides with a lemonade, which came to about €10. The food was hearty, medium-spiced and delicious. The café is upstairs with big windows with a view over the river, and has a casual atmosphere. I would definitely recommend it as a causal veg dining option. There were a couple of vegan desserts which seemed to be fruit crumbles but I didn't try them.

Pros: delicious, hearty food, near the city centre, open sundays

Cons: not very many vegan options

Nice visit - Edit

We came here for lunch when it was still very empty, and first we had trouble understanding the menu options and the system, but the lady at the counter explained everything in a very friendly way.
I chose a salad of white beans and roast potatoes and it was definitely not the best meal I had, but it was ok and the portion was well-sized, so I was really full afterwards. The hot chocolate I had was huge and just delicious. I also really liked the spacious interior of the place and the location on the river, close to St Finbarr's church.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great location & interior, Well-sized portions

Cons: The meal I had wasn't really exciting

huge combination of food - Edit

This place is only ok, i always find it hard to decide what to have as they have huge combination of foods. I dont like the fake meat stuff&i am vegan so sometimes its not the best. I like the salad &veg though as the portions are big but they always have sauces mixed in with them so again i find it hard to decide. Other than the restaurant i love the venue, i buy lots in food store &health store &i love the notice board with all the health/alternative information. Staff are very helpful&friendly too

Pros: central, vegan options, friendly staff

Not Disappointed - Edit

I was excited to try this restaurant after reading so many good reviews. Traveling with my mom (meat eater), I hoped she would enjoy the food as well and she did. She had the lasagna and I had the nut burger. Portions were really generous, food was really good and the 2nd story dinner view of the river was awesome. Vegan chocolate cake was also very tasty. Even though it is not full service, after ordering, our food was served and our table was bused afterward before desert.

Good Location And Good Food - Edit

While in Cork, we ate here on two evenings and there were good vegan choices and the food was interesting with good taste although a little on the heavy side. They did serve wine but not beer which seemed a little odd but I guess not in Ireland. The staff was friendly and helpful and the place located on the 2nd floor above the health food store was bright. The place was very busy both nights we were there but still quiet enough to have a conversation.

Pros: Good taste, Good atmosphere, Good location

Cons: Not light food

Great vegan options in Cork - Edit

On checking out vegan options for travelling in Ireland (via Happy Cow, of course!) I was pleased to find this cafe close to the centre of Cork. We visited twice for lunch and were very satisfied with the taste and quantity of our meals, the friendly staff, and the comfortable relaxed feel of the cafe. The cafe is on 2 levels with window seating looking out on the activity below.

And to top it off ... 5 vegan dessert options.

Pros: Variety of options, Vegan, Friendly staff

A solid part of Cork City life - not a bad word! - Edit

If I am in Cork for a week or so, I usually manage to make it a couple of times to this place, which is Cork is lucky to have. It has existed quite a few decades I think, and as such feels very much a part of the fabric of the City's social facet. The fayre and ambience are pretty typical of a a veggie cafe/restaurant - down to the notice board tightly packed with adverts for meditation classes and the like. None of this is a bad thing in my opinion :-) But what is perhaps different from other veg cafes is how spacious it is, over 2 floors as well, and with plenty of light. Often busy-ish with a gentle buzz it is the ideal place to gouch out over the papers on your own or with company. Food range is very good, quality always high. Probably 60% + vegan on mains, less on desert but still should be a few to choose from. You could hardly call it cheap, but neither is it expensive and it is certainly good filling value. A main with 2 decent sides is, I think 10.5E. I have probably been about 20 times and don't recall a single disappointment of any kind(the better half says they should be more regular about having vegan icecream tho :-) Often times it is delicious (maybe it will be a bit of sauce or the way the spuds are roasted, there's usually something unexpected to really stand out from the general quality - last time it was the Burmese noodles for me). Yep - not a bad word to say!

Pros: Very reliable high quality, gently buzzing atmosphere, Solid range, including for vegans

Great place - Edit

Great little place in Cork. There are a nice number of vegan options, and lots of vegan desserts too. My husband got a really nice veggie stew of some kind, with coconut milk I think. I had these nice white bean hazelnut cakes--they were more bean than hazelnut, but nice anyway. The generous sides that come with are awesome. The vegan potato salad: some of the best we've ever had.

Good value, especially for Ireland.

Veggie oasis - Edit

For a city the size of Cork we're lucky to have CafeP as the gourmet evening option and Quay Co-op for everyday. I highly recommend the veggie breakfast although I believe that it is not available all the time.

There are always two daily specials at lunch along with the mains that are there every day. Banoffi pie = best dessert. Coffee cupcakes best with a hot drink as an afternoon snack.

On the down side, the prices have gone up over the years but at least the portions and the food are good. Theres also the shop downstairs which has a nice range of foods.

Pros: Perfect for lunch in the city, Nice layout

Cons: Could be cheaper

lucky to have this in cork - Edit

I go in here quite often and usually have a soup and bread for €5.40 which is reasonable for cork. There cakes are nice but I don't get them too often. The soups are always really nice and the menu changes everyday. The place is casual and always has a nice atmosphere.

Pros: reasonable, healthy, free water

Cons: smallish portions

A must-go-to in Cork! - Edit

Both me an my partner were so satisfied by this place! We went to Quay Co-op after having had something to eat at Cafe Paradiso but wanted to try some desserts there. Then everything just looked so fresh and delicious we decided to try some cauliflower-coriander soup anyway.
Then we had a vegan chocolate muffin which was awesome and the best vegan blueberry cheesecake (plus cream) I have aver had! Altogether we paid 11,35€ which I think is a reasonable price for something a)vegan and b)fresh in c) Ireland.
We absolutely liked the atmosphere too. The mix of all sorts of different people being there. Just the sort of place you don't find much in Ireland. And then the staff was friendly as hell. If you are in Cork - go there!

Pros: Absolutely delicious food., Friendly staff, Healthy cuisine

Irish eyes are smiling! - Edit

Very, very good spot. Having eaten vegan in many restaurants, Quay co-op ranks up with the best of them. Not pretentious nor fancy, just plenty of well prepared food, vegetarian, vegan and other. Good selection, fairly priced and generous portions. Cafeteria style and up two small flights of steps. To find it, go to Cork center, north across the bridge and its on the right, next to the firehouse and Cork football store. Very good choice for vegans.

Pros: assortment, price, desserts

Cons: none really

Wow - Edit

Myself and my Partner went for a meal last saturday night and we are not vegetarian but the food was so fresh and tasty. I had the lasagne tasy moist and delicious my partener had a sweet potato bake that was delightfull. There was a huge selction of fresh salads. We were suprised with the really nice Italian gent that served us, he had a really good knowlege of the food. My partener has a really challenging diet (no sugar,no wheat and no eggs). But we both had a lovely dinner and dessert, i think i might need another page for that.Thumbs up.

Pros: Tasty, Affordable, Friendly

Cons: Informal, Self service, Queing

Great place - Edit

Really enjoyed our visit to the Quay Co-op, which was everything advertised - and the best place we hit in Ireland. It's nothing fancy, but provides loads of healthy, yummy vegan and vegetarian food. Plenty of vegan options, and lots of desserts, salads and other meals. The portions are absolutely immense, so be careful when ordering!

Pros: value, healthy, nice atmosphere

Lovely food - Edit

Had a lovely and inexpensive lunch here - a large portion of veggie lasagne with salad and great dressing. Cakes are nice too - if you have enough room!!! I also came here for a brilliant breakfast - all tasted fresh and homemade (i.e. not tinned baked beans and homemade style bread). This place is a real gem and I highly recommend it.

Pros: Lovely food, Nice Cakes!, Good atmosphere

Well worth a visit - Edit

To have one decent vegetarian restaurant in Cork is unexpected but to have two is beyond belief. Actually, this is more of a cafe than a restaurant, though none the worse for that. If we compare it with Cafe Paradiso, it is not as posh and the food, although very good, is not prepared to the same level of attention to detail. However, the atmosphere is good, the people are very friendly and they are aware of what it is to be a vegan. We arrived quite late in the evening as they were about to close but they were very welcoming and we still had a good choice of food and we did not feel they were anything other than pleased to see us. A little gem of a place.

Pros: Friendly, Good food, Something for vegans

Phenominal - Edit

This place is amazing! Their shop is great, and the cafe itself is just wonderful. The menu clearly states which dishes are suitable for almost any common dietry requirement there is - vegan / vegetarian / sugar-free / gluten-free / yeast-free. And for none of these is imagination or flavour sacrificed!

Pros: amazing food * dietry requirements * variety
Cons: I don't live in Ireland * *

Pros: amazing variety, dietry requirements, organic

Cons: I don't live in Ireland

Quay Co-op - Edit

This was a top place when I went. I went with a non vegetarian friend who described the food as delicious. I can't disagree with him. I'd be delighted to eat here again.

Pros: Great food

Return to Cork Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Quay Co-op Cafe - Sullivan's Quay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5221 times since Aug 2007.