First Review by KennJR2014

Holy MSG Batman!! - Edit

After reading the rave reviews, my family and I were so excited to try authentic vegetarian Vietnamese food. We walked with the baby stroller 1.5 miles to build up our appetite. We skipped dinner the night before as we were oddly not hungry. This is unusual as we love to eat 3 full meals a day.

As we ravished into our soup, we all looked at each other. Put down the spoons and made funny faces. It was simple rice porridge, yet it tasted horrible. The next dish came and we had the same reaction. Our 3rd dish came and we all took one bite and put down the forks. The MSG was so heavy that we could not finish more than 10% of our meal.

On the good side, they have VEGAN durian cakes. It is the ONLY time in my life that I have seen the VEGAN version. They were amazing and actually worth the 3 mile round trip.

Pros: Vegan Durian Cakes in a package

Cons: HEAVY MSG, very poor interior, a bit disgusting

One of my favorite places in Can Tho - Edit

I've had countless meals there, and have tried many dishes. The food is very tasty, and portions are good. It's popular (especially in the evenings) for a reason. Many people go for the hotpots, which I never tried because I was alone, but I'm assuming they are tasty. I highly recommend the following dishes: Bun Cha Gio ("dry" cold rice noodles with herbs and fried spring rolls), Bun Xao (reminiscent of Bun Cha Gio), Bun Bo Kho (amazing rich broth!), Bun Ca Ri (a creamy and very mild Padang curry-based broth), Bun Mang (clear broth, bamboo shoots and mock meat). I also tried their Pho Xao (like a "pho", but without the broth), and it was quite ok. Although most dishes are great, some are simply awful. Stay away from Bun Thai (a lot of very-hard-to-chew herbs and nasty bits of plastic-like stuff meant to imitate seafood) and from the standard rice plate with assorted mock meat. It's bland, oily, and the texture sucks.

Pros: Cheap, Very tasty, Breezy

Cons: A handful of dishes are awful

Best veg place in Can Tho - Edit

Very inexpensive small and simple restaurant, close to city centre. English is spoken and they also have an English menu. The hot pots are to die for!! But also all other meals with mock meats and vegetables are very delicious. We ate there 3 times in 4 days :)

my favorite restaurant in vietnam - Edit

ate here 4 times. amazing buffet of mock meats. but even better is the selection of soups and noodle bowls. they are all incredible and cost about $0.75usd.
open seating area. alot of locals. english menus.

Pros: dirt cheap, delicious, endless options

Eat with the locals - Edit

We ate here three times, including take-outs from the buffet. They will give you an English menu or you can point at the buffet to what you want. We are a family of 4 and we ate meals and drinks for about 100-120,000 vnd.

Nice soups and good range of noodle dishes but do yourself a favour and get into the variety in the buffet.

Pros: Cheap, Big buffet, lots of choice, Family friendly, full of locals

Cons: Maybe not much variety in taste

Return to Can Tho Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Quan Com Chay Cuong closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1159 times since Jan 2008.