First Review by baklavabaklava

unbelievable good and cheap! - Edit

I went there three times and especially the 'banh'-things(6-10k for about 6) where all very delicious. also the hotpot is great (40k for two people). so cheap and one of the best places I ate in vietnam! you will get an English menu when you sit down. owners don't speak English, but communication still works. really awesome place!

Cons: sometimes its open, sometimes closed. expect it co

phenomenal - loved every visit! - Edit

THIS is exactly what I think a restaurant should be: fantastic atmosphere, tasty food, busy, friendly staff, cheap, the buzz and energy of people coming and going and enjoying the food, everyone happy and smiling, in, out, next!

Groups of girls, work colleagues, families, school kids, tourists, there seemed to be a constant rotation of tables and the pace was intense at times.

The first visit I did the 'I'll have what she's having" trick and received a fantastic bowl of soup full of mushrooms, tofu, noodles - my mouth is watering as I remember the flavours! Fabulous fresh flavours!

The next visit I had the hotpot, mentioned by so many others here. In fact, the whole place seemed to be full of people having the hotpot and I can now understand why.

The staff are brisk but not unfriendly - the pace can be frenetic sometimes, but other guests kept looking up and nodding and saying 'good, isn't it?"

I really enjoyed coming here - it was a two minute walk from my hotel. The Saturday when I visited the staff were all sitting having a communal meal, but motioned me over and said they would open at 16:00.

Unfortunately, I seem to have come during the Full Moon Day period and although I managed to eat there when it was absolutely packed with people, and with queues forming outside, however, the next day they were closed - everyone exhausted no doubt.

They seem to be open from 07:00 until 20:00, but once they were shut at lunchtime and told me they'd reopen at 16:00 and the next day were closed completely, so it might be an idea to check the times...

I'd agree this is a must visit spot for anyone visiting Hue, vegetarian, vegan or not - when I get to Hue again next year, I'll be right back!

Pros: Great atmosphere, helpful staff, fresh tasty cheap food, easy to find and clean

Cons: Closed certain days of the month

Molto economico! - Edit

A parte la sporcizia e i fazzoletti che i vietnamiti buttano per terra senza pudore, il posto è davvero carino e si mangia molto bene! Hanno un menù apposta in inglese ed è davvero economico!

amazing food! incredibly inexpensive! - Edit

We ordered the small hot pot (40,000d), which was more than enough food for two of us. It was so amazing and one of our favorite meals not just in Vietnam, but all of Southeast Asia (we've been traveling for a couple of months). We couldn't believe how inexpensive it was. So delicious! We leave tomorrow, but are going back again before our flight!

Service was quick and, while they didn't speak any English, friendly! The place is packed with locals at lunch time.

The description here on Happy Cow says no English menu, but they do have one, which they gave to us when we were seated.

Great place! - Edit

amazing little vegetarian restaurant. We ordered a hot pot and really impressed by the food! it was a great local experience. probably the best meal we've had in Vietnam and also the cheapest!

Pros: yummy

Cons: waiters knew little english

Get the Hot Pot! - Edit

I went here for dinner a week or so ago and ordered the small hot pot to split with my travel companion. All of the locals eating dinner there had ordered it too so it seemed like a good bet. It was full of tofu and veggies in a tomatoey broth. Yum! Add in your greens when it comes to the boil and then ladle the broth over the noodles in your bowl and boom, delicious soup. It also comes with a side of fermented tofu which I loved but that my friend was not so sold on, perhaps an acquired taste?!

Pros: ridiculously cheap, packed full of locals, delicious hot pot

One of the best dining experiences ever - Edit

We walked in, were met by confused staff (this is a VERY local place), were gestured towards a table and we just asked for 'com'. I don't really know what we ate - different styles of tofu and mock meats with rice, I guess - but it was delicious and cost ~50c. No westerners and no messing about!

Nice and cheap - Edit

Good, simple and dirt cheap food. Don't except amazing flavors and refined dining: this place is just a reliable and 100% local eatery. Rice topped with tofu/veggies/mock meat ("com" on the menu) costs a mere VND10,000 (half a dollar), as do many other dishes. The "dry" pho (no broth) was okay for the price (10,000), but another dish with wheat noodles (mi) was so-so. Locals seem to enjoy the hotpot a lot. Menu in Vietnamese only, but one girl speaks a little English. Cute tableware, too! Try not to show up too late for lunch. We arrived at 1.40pm, and they were closing. Don't know if they are open for dinner.

Pros: Decent, dirt cheap food, Local eatery, Excellent value for money

Cons: Close early, Only for lunch maybe?

Great Food, Great Price - Edit

This is the cheapest veggie food I've had anywhere. We paid 15,000 VND for two plates of rice and veggies, and one plate of about 6 fresh spring rolls. We also both had a small bowl of soup with the rice. Iced tea was free. So that's only $1.20 for food for two people.

One of the girls working there spoke a little English, but if you go to the back you can see into the kitchen and point to what you want.

It was packed with local people when we went there, which is usually a good sign.

We'll definitely be going back there, as we're staying a few days.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Very Reasonable Prices, Locals Eat There

Small portions but good price and good food - Edit

Yes, the portions are small but it's really cheap so you can easily order a few things. Noodle soup costs 10000 VND.
Mock meat haters will like. The only protein they use is Tofu. There is no English menu so be brave and point at anything on the menu. If you want to be on the safe side just order "com", which actually just means "rice". You'll get rice with veg and tofu. They also understand "Noodle Soup". It's nothing fancy but good value for money

Lot's of locals. Rustic setting.

Pros: cheap, good food

Cons: nothing special, no english menu

OK food, small portions, weird vibe - Edit

Locals all gave me the once-over when I walked in, and the staff gave me dirty looks-- not sure why. I had fried rice (15,000d)- tasted OK, but the portion was tiny; 3-4 bites and it was gone. The whole experience lasted 4-5 minutes. No water, sauces, etc provided. Brusque staff.

Pros: near backpacker area, not expensive

Cons: tiny portions, weird clientele, brusque staff

bkkguy No weird vibe or brusque staff when we were there. In fact, a girl who didn't speak English went to get another girl that did, and she explained what was available.

Ou food wasn't tiny at all, but if you need a bigger meal then you only have to ask. This place is so cheap that it seems odd that someone would complain about the size of the meal. Not sure what you expect for such a low price. It's usually packed with locals, and them all seem happy enough with portion sizes. May not suit people who eat gigantic quantities in one go. We had plenty.

Return to Hue Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thanh Lieu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1834 times since Oct 2011.