Quan Chay Nhat Da

98 Phan Chu Trinh, Hoi An, Vietnam,

Nhat Da makes mockmeats and bamboo dishes, mostly daily buffet. Go when busy, morning and early lunch. Free green tea. Uses MSG. Note that the place next door (to the left) is owned by the same people who will give you the food if the front of Nhat Da is closed. Directions: Located west of the town center. Take Hai Ba Trung (D Nhi Trung) away from the river and turn left onto Phan Chu Trinh (also written as Phan Chau Trinh). Number 98 is further west, past Nhi Trung. Mon-Sun 6:00am-7:30pm

Category: Vegan, Buffet, Take-out, Vietnamese, Buddhist

First Review by simpsonyellow

Tasty vegan food, average service - Edit

After reading all the amazing reviews I was a bit disappointed that the service wasn't as good as other people have said. The older lady in there was grumpy and didn't smile. To be fair she didn't speak English so maybe she was nervous, but at least a smile would have been good.

The food when it came was actually very tasty so that bumped up my review to 4 stars! The spring rolls were actually delicious, and the Tofu in tomato sauce nice enough.

I would still recommend this place to all vegans and vegetarians. The service is very fast and food is cheap.

Pros: Fast service, Cheap, Tasty

Cons: Moody lady that served me

Delicious and generous - Edit

This place was just wonderful. We arrived and there was a family banquet happening and so we were seated in the space next door and given menus. A short time later the woman serving us, who I assume is Linh, came and informed us that her family was celebrating a festival and we were invited to share the banquet and didn't need to order. She brought us noodle soup, spring rolls, mock meats, brown rice crackers, lychees, sticky rice sweets: enough food to well and truly satisfy us. All the food was absolutely delicious. When we left full, I asked the price, and she told us we were their guests and didn't need to pay. We reluctantly accepted this amazing generosity but made sure to come back on another occasion and spend a decent amount of money.

Pros: Delicious food

It was nice - Edit

Nothing to special but nice. Arrived after lunch so maybe the experience would have been better if we got there for the buffet. Tried the baos, tofu and beans. All was ok but lacked somewhat in taste.

Pros: Lots of options. Had baos.

Cons: Not so tasteful

Nice and simple. - Edit

It was fast and low cost. A sweet lady serving was very helpful. Recommended.
Tasty food and normal portion. Vegan. Take some advice about the menu, they will recommend good owner dishes.
By the road so expect a little of the classic motorbike horns for whatever reason, but not too much.

tasty and simple - Edit

we were sitting in the cafe next door cos it was late and it already closed. the food was simple but tasty. by the way no green tea was offered. (anyway I don't drink it).

Lovely food and friendly people - Edit

We had a very good experience at this place. Family run restaurant and the owner told us the restaurant has been there for 25 years! Food is fresh and yummy, we ordered drinks which were not on the menu but she happily customised for us. Highly recommend!

Pros: Cheap but still good food, Friendly atmosphere

A little disappointing. - Edit

We ate at several vegetarian restaurant in Hoi An and had very positive experiences. However the dishes we ordered here weren't so great. The spring rolls were dry. The fried noodles and noodle soup was OK, but very simple and uninteresting. We ordered a plate of "fried mock meat", which usually we love, but this was inedible. We actually spat out the mouthfuls we tried. It may have actually been off.

Ok - Edit

As the older lady who served us didn't speak English, we showed her the pictures of the dishes we wanted to order. However, two of the three dishes weren't the ones we had ordered when she came back from the kitchen. Her daughter was very friendly and apologized for the inconvenience, she brought as two bananas as a dessert. All in all good food but nothing extraordinary. Maybe the best part of our meal was the homemade hot black sesame milk, so you should definitely go for that.

Pros: good food, friendly owner (her daughter)

Cons: you find cheaper vegan places in Hoi An, rather small portions

Great spot for veggie eaters - Edit

My partner and I were so happy when we found this little place. It is owned by a woman who has been vegan for 25 years along with her daughter who also owned the restaurant next door. The food was great and inexpensive (we are budget backpackers so this was perfect for us). Nothing fancy, no wow factors, but it was wonderful to enjoy some traditional food that was veg friendly. Linh (the daughter) was lovely to talk to and she was extremely helpful as well. I loved talking to her about vegan/vegetarianism in Vietnam. She often had us sit in her restaurant net door because it had more fans and because her mother doesn't know any English.

We went there every night for dinner during our 6 day stay in Hoian. Linh was just so friendly and the prices were great so we didn't even bother finding other places to eat. Some of the things we tried were pho, Vietnamese country pancakes, friend "chicken" rice, spring roles, and wonton soup. We were even offered a small bowl of lotus seed soup to try.They also serve black sesame seed milk which was something I never had before.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone in Hoian.

Pros: Full veg menu, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Nothing fancy

Very Good Food, Careful With Desserts - Edit

Ate here twice in one day while in Hoi An. Very kind young lady who served us. Her and her mom run the place. Joined by restaurant next door and we sat there for fans to help with heat, as did everyone else. Got vegetarian menus and the food was incredible. Mock meat with rice was excellent. Pho was out of this world. We were offered vegan ice cream for dessert and my wife got a chocolate bar frozen for dinner dessert. After finishing, I looked at the ingredients and it had milk powder. I showed the lady and she didn't have much to say other than looking shocked. I was upset because I asked 5 times to make sure there was no milk. I don't think she knew but it scares me. Again though, the entrees were incredible. I know all the mock meats are vegan because she showed me the bags in the freezer when we were looking at desserts. Prices higher than other places in town but we still had 4 entrees, 2 waters, and 2 desserts for 200 vnd.

Friendly service, decent food - Edit

We went hunting for this place at lunch time and eventually managed to find it. The location on Happy Cow and some of the photos are totally misleading. This place is right at the western end of Phan Châu Trinh. Outside we couldn't see any sign saying Nhat Da, but there is a big sign saying Quan Chay (which translates as vegetarian beliefs or something similar).

It wasn't actually open, but the restaurant next door (to the left) is owned by the same family so they gave us the vegetarian menu and cooked for us (they also phoned the lady who runs it, and she and her daughter turned up pretty quickly and gave us some extra food - not sure what she thought of her husbands interpretations of her recipes).

We had the eggplant dish (with ginger) which was excellent.

fantastic family-local style vegan restaurant - Edit

This is a very simple, but delicious eatery.
The daughter Linh was very helpful with explainkbg the dishes and even ended up sittinh and talking together as i ate (i was there alone).

The food was simple, no frills in terms of options (plenty to choose from but all vietnamese) and presentations but tasted fantastic. I discovered a new foodstuff 'taro' from the great quang-style noodles dish i tried. Linh even went to the kitchen to show me what it looks like raw.

Pros: great, authentic vietnamese but 100% vegan food, friendly, family-run feeling, very cheap compared to the other vegan/vegetrian s

Cons: was hard to find as no fancy signage (the address

Nothing fancy, but delicious local food! - Edit

This small local style restaurant near the old town is a great place for vegan visitors.

The menu is full of local dishes made vegan. The lady who cooks the food is 20 years a vegan, speaks little English but her daughter is on hand to assist. The Cao Lao is fantastic, and all the prices are around 30,000 VND.

Pros: tasty, local style food, friendly staff

Cons: none

Vegetarian Street Food - Edit

Stayed in Hoi An's old city and looking for a vegetarian restaurant. We got there around 4pm and as it was too early for dinner decided to grab take away for a later meal. We got four dishes, all packaged in take away containers. One of the women working in the place speaks English. The prices range from 20k to 25k and if you have average appetite you will need to take more than one to be satisfied. The food itself was nice and tasty.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 25, 2013

Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 25, 2013

No Frills, Good Food. - Edit

Went there around lunchtime with seven friends. We all ordered the set menu - 25,000VND for a heap of rice topped with an assortment of pre-prepared vegetables and mock meats - and were served promptly. Everything was tasty, ordering was no hassle, and both of the women there spoke good English. The unassuming decor, simple wooden tables, and reasonable prices were a big relief from the hassle of the rest of Hoi An. Definitely recommended.

As other reviews have mentioned, the address is correct but the shop is located further west than it appears on the map.

Pros: Tasty food, Quick service, Not flash, no hassle.

Cons: Set menu not cooked fresh

Super Cheap! - Edit

The food was ok and very cheep. We came after the buffet was finished but had nice noodle soup for 20,000VND each (about $1). Good place to grab a quick lunch but nothing special. Like others have said trust the address but the map has the wrong location!

Pros: cheap

No english , Buffet , Cheap and friendly - Edit

Restaurant with a buffet with varities of soy meat and vegetables on a plate with a soup and rice for 15.000Dong (0,75US$). The stuff cant speak english but there are friendly and for this you doesn't need words ;-)
The restaurant is rustic but it's always clean

Pros: Cheap, Clean, Big Portion

Cons: No Menue

Quan Chay Nhat Da - Edit

Came here on a past trip to Vietnam. It's a small place on the side of the road. Overall, food didn not look very appetizing on the day I visited. It's all veg.

Pros: it's vegetarian

Cons: cleanliness issue, small selection

info about address and review - Edit

Just a little info about the address first. The address is correct but don't be guided by the map. Number 98 is further west, past Nhi Trung.
I arrived a little after they shut (they close at 7.30pm) but the owner opened up for us. A nice starting gesture. She is very nice.
The meal was pretty simple: rice with a little veg and lots of 'mock' additives, but I was very hungry and it was a welcomed meal.
The meal was 20,000 dong (around $1)
All in all, it was a little vegan delight. Simple, but animal free.

Pros: simple, cheap, friendly

Additinal notes - Edit

First and most imp, the address, pl note: its on 98, PHAM CHAU TRINH , ph:0903535143 and name is "QUAN CHAY NHAT DA" . Lack of the shop number made me to search for a long time.

Food was fresh and tasty. Both noodles or rice cost 15000 dong each. But two people needed three plates together to feel "full". (Maybe the amount in each plate should be a bit more?). Staff is friendly and has good behaviour. Although the restaurant has a small place and a thacthed roof, the feeling is still cosy and friendly. Gives green tea for free. Opens early at 6AM but closes early by 7PM.

Not sure about this one - Edit

This is a very basic restaurant which is a bit of a walk from the center of Hoi An and although we didn't get food poisoning from this place, it did look as though we could have. We went there on our first night in Hoi An because we weren't sure of the vegetarian food options available. While we would prefer to eat in a vegetarian only restaurant there are much better vegetarian food options in almost every restaurant in Hoi An.

Pros: Vegetarian, Food, Friendly

Cons: Outside only, Dirty, Very basic

Simple, but satisfying - Edit

We ate here between the supposedly busy breakfast and lunch periods and were the only customers in the place. A very basic buffet set up with rice, mock meat dishes, veg dishes and soup. The food was room temperature because of the time of day we were eating, but it was still tasty and very good value. Food and atmosphere are nothing to rave about, but both my partner and myself came away plenty satisfied.

Pros: Good value

Cons: Not much variety

Return to Hoi An Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Quan Chay Nhat Da closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2709 times since Aug 2007.