CLOSED: Qing Shui Lian Vegetarian

6, Yanerdao Rd., Shinan District, Tsingtao, Qingdao, China,

Big restaurant located near the waterfront. They use less oil, no onions, no MSG. Chinese Name: 清水莲素膳茗坊 Chinese Address: 市南区燕儿岛路6号(眼科医院对面). APR 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN BY HAPPYCOW MEMBER. Open .

Category: Chinese

First Review by billgo

Wonderful treat in Qingdao - Edit

after avoiding so many dishes in China on account of who-knows-what-kind-of-fat-is-used-in-this-dish meals, it was a great treat to be able to order anything that looked or sounded nice without any worry.
The restaurant was clean, warm (it was freezing outside) and decorated with great imagination and taste.
A special feature are the little 'niche' tables for 2 or 4 people, with colorful curtains and pillows.
As to the food itself, a lot of fake pork and the like, molded veg protein ducks etc. which I avoid. Simply had to get the message across that I didn't want anything that tasted like meat.
Tasty seaweed cones with vegetables and nuts, original dumplings, spicy bamboo stir fry and some veg skewers in coconut milk,,, did it for me after 2 days of very lean eatings here...
Enjoy !
we did...

Pros: Clean veg food, Lovely decor and private rooms, Pleasant, gentle, not pushy staff

Cons: NO English menu that I could find..

Really nice place - Edit

My partner and I had a fabulous dinner here. Setting was elegant and intimate without being tawdry, staff was all very polite and helpful.

Two of us shared two appetizers and four main dishes and left pleasantly satiated. The appetizer portions were on the small size, only good for 1-2 persons I'd say; the main dishes were much more generous than appeared on photos, good for 3-4 to share. Food was excellent, not greasy at all and light in mock meats. Everything was completely MSG-free to boot. Our bill came to 200 RMB, which we felt was very reasonable, although arguably not cheap for China.

I felt like this place was the Qingdao location of Pure Lotus in Beijing (if you have been there you will know what I mean), but this one seemed more down-to-earth and was much less busy.

Pros: food, service, setting

Scent of Buddha - Edit

An absolutely fantastic restaurant - the decor, atmosphere, staff...
First, you are served with fresh fruit served on dry ice. Then they bring you coconut milk pudding and small cookies - delicious (and no extra charge for that).
My friend and me had four dishes - sizzling tofu (served on hot iron plate) with nice and light gravy, fried dumplings (I enjoyed them whereas my friend didn't them too much), mock chicken with fungi (amazing!) and Indian curry with some mock meat and potatoes, broccoli and corn thickened up with coconut cream (delicious). The food was really good, although you'd ask for wee bigger servings for that price - 140 RMB for two (including two small bottles of Qingdao beer for 10 yuan each) and I left the restaurant with a craving for another mock meat curry:)
aha, everything is VEGAN!
Updated from previous review on Monday January 17, 2011

Wonderful place! - Edit

Around the corner from Crowne Plaza. Food was very good.
Absolutely beautiful decor and ambiance. Great service. I felt like I was in a movie.

Pros: very good food, amazing decor, attentive service

Qing Shui Lian Vegetarian - Edit

Enjoyed a dinner here. I am a non-vegetarian but went with a vegetarian friend. Good food, decor and friendly service. Especially enjoyed a spinach dish with beans and a spicy peanut sauce.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, nice decor

Return to Qingdao Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Qing Shui Lian Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 275 times since Jul 2009.