Pygmalion

• Veg-friendly
Contact 55323360

Nedre Korskirkeallmenningen 4, Bergen, Norway, 5017

Serves meat, vegan options available. A kocafé & Galleri. Bergen organic restaurant and gallery. Small and charming. Changin menu, vegetarian options might include lasagna, lentil burger with hummus, falafel wrap, and salads. Will accommodate special request.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by CLRtraveller

few vegan options - Edit

We came for dinner on our only night in Bergen. We verified which menu items were vegan and ordered the stir fry and wrap. They were both good, but nothing to write home about. The friendly waitress suggested their vegan brownie for dessert and that definitely was very tasty. Considering the choices in Bergen, we were glad to find a place to eat close to our hotel.

Pros: vegan options , nice staff

Cons: serves meat and dairy

Very tasty vegan burger - Edit

We ate at a table out on the street. Service was friendly. It's a cafe and you pay when you order. The burgers arrived quickly, were tasty and had gorgeous sauces on the potatoes. The portion size is medium to small. It was lovely to be able to gave a meal out in a country that is beautiful but not great for vegan food.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Norway prices

Maybe The Best Vegan Option In Bergen - Edit

There are 4 vegan dishes. I actually ate there twice. The food is fresh and tasty but very simple . On Sunday it is open.only till 21.30 (9pm) . We came there and the Britsh waiter was unfourtunaly very rude.

A vegan burger in Bergen - Edit

Visiting Bergen as a vegan is intimidating. We checked out this cafe on the first day because we were starving. It's a really cute place, cozy and small. I got the burger, my boyfriend got the veggie wrap. They were basically made with the same protein, except one was on a burger and the other was in a wrap.

That said, they were both quite good and the potatoes and sauce served on the side were delicious. The price, even being from notoriously overpriced NYC, gave us a heart attack (worked out to about $20 each for a burger/wrap), but that's Norway for you. Things are crazy expensive here.

We had some tea and coffee afterwards and it was a nice place to hang out for the afternoon, but if you're watching your budget, I'd recommend just going to the local health food store, buying some bread and fake meat and making your own vegan sandwich for lunch to save some money!

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Cozy place

Cons: Expensive (all of Bergen is, though), Not a lot of food

OK - Edit

The supposedly 'juicy' veggie burger was awful - looked and tasted as if it had been sitting around for three days - hard as a rock, and tasted of cardboard.

The only redeeming feature was that my daughter very much liked her chicken burger (she's a non vego).

Won't be going back during our stay in Bergen, and especially not, given the high end prices for low grade food.

Fortunately we have booked an apartment with full kitchen facilities, so will be checking out the local health food shops for vegan products, and cooking for ourselves.

A good option - Edit

Not many places in Bergen offer Veg/Vegan options. It's also organic. The place is not great but it's cozy. It's expensive but the food is good and the place is clean. Recommended.

Pros: Options

Cons: Price

Very Good Considering Where It Is - Edit

My wife and I ate here last night. Being in Bergen, we knew we would struggle to find good restaurants. Pygmalion turned out to be pretty good. We split the 2 vegan items on the menu, a veggie burger and an Asian stir-fry. Both were very good and quite flavorful. The service seemed a bit slow, but not a big deal if your expectations aren't too high. The only drawback was that one waitress had a boyfriend there who was a customer, and she frequently went over to him hugged and kissed him. It was a bit strange, but moved over to the "gross" category when she ran her fingers through his hair then served food without washing her hands.

Pros: Good vegan food

Cons: Odd and gross staff behavior

Best Restaurant in Bergen for Veggies - Edit

While the menu doesn't obviously indicate veg*n options, the server was not phased at all when I asked about vegan options on the menu. There were a few starters, salads/wraps and mains that were either vegan, or could be made vegan, along with a decent selection of vegetarian options. I opted for a Thai vegetable stir fry which was very tasty and the first decent healthy meal I'd probably had since my arrival in Norway.

It's important to put things in perspective, (Norway not being perhaps the most veg friendly place in the world) so don't expect to be overwhelmed but this is a nice little restaurant with a few good choices, and helpful staff so would recommend checking it out.

Pros: Best vegan options in Bergen, Helpful staff, Healthy meals

Cons: Veg items not indicated on menu, No vegan desserts

Disappointed - Edit

Not many veg-friendly places in bergen, so i was looking forward to this place, but unfortunately it was a disappointment. First the waiter came back and told me the soup I had chosen was not available today(he told me another main course I was interested in was unavailable). The garlic bread I took as a starter was pretty good but the veggie burger was dry and not very tasteful. The potato wedges that came with it were very nice though. The place was busy and had a nice atmosphere.

Pros: Atmosphere

Cons: Taste

Tasty veg options near the fish market - Edit

I was on my way out of Voss after Ekstremsportveko and made a trip into Bergen for some food here before I left. The open hours state 9am everyday, but in typical Norwegian fashion it was a late opening on Sundays (noon). I got the veggie wrap and a soy chai latte and both were delicious and reasonably priced compared to pretty much every other meal that I had in Norway. The atmosphere is great and the girl working the counter was fantastic, as was her playlist.

Pros: Friendly staff, Great atmosphere/music

Cons: Not a huge amount of vegan options

nice and central - Edit

Right in the centre, close to the famous fish market and all the other tourist attractions. Has nice artistic and down-to-earth atmosphere with painting gallery that changes sometimes and interesting artistic things around (there was a psychedelic projection when we were there). The food is extraordinary, tasty, and the juices are organic and good. In fact much of the food there is organic or with ingredients consciously grown. The serving is nice.
One can also stay here just for a beer/tea/coffee. It also has outdoor seating (for those 7 days when is not raining in Bergen :)

A must to go for when in Bergen...

Pros: good food, atmosphere, serving

A Friendly Haven - Edit

...Bergen is a bit of a nightmare for vegetarians what with menus offering reindeer and whale. On top of that, it's really expensive - 19€ for a pizza marguerita! So we were pleased to find Pygmalion, a friendly little resto close to the harbour. They serve burgers, wraps, ciabatta, all of which have vegetarian alternatives; plus there's a daily list of main courses. We had the veggie burgers on one visit - served with provencal potatoes, salad, hummus; on another visit I tried the wok-fried vegetables with rice which was spicy and warming - appreciated in Bergen this chilly July! Ambiance warm - checked cloths, brick walls, photo exhibition plus lots of candles. Recommended.

superb place - Edit

About the only place in Bergen that knows what a vegan is, has a great choice of wrap, burger, salad etc all organic. Very friendly and makes surviving on Bergen as veggie or vegan possible.

Pros: staff, understanding , choice

OK - Edit

Nice food (and large portions) but crazy expensive. But that's just Bergen, I guess.

Nice restaurant and good food - Edit

As we stayed in the YMCA hostel next door, the Pygmalion was a good option to eat (you get a little discount). The staff was friendly and happy to serve the food according to our wishes (vegan, in our case). They were also well informed about the ingredients of their dishes. Atmosphere was ok, and food was good.

Pros: good organic food, informed staff, prices are ok

Alright - Edit

We went to Pygmalion about three weeks ago and the food wasn't that great. I got the veggie wrap as well and the review under mine describes it pretty well. It was simple. The price was okay for Bergen which can be rather expensive. When they brought out my wrap the first time it had chicken so I ended up sending it. We both ended up being hungry afterwards and the staff there were a bit strange. The only way I can describe the guy there is a pygmalian. The food didn't sit right in our stomachs maybe it was something else but I'm pretty sure it was from there.

Pros: Cheaper Side

Cons: Little food, Strange Dude

nice to know it's organic - Edit

I opted out of the more expensive veggie burger and had the 85 kr veggie wrap. It was lentils and hummus wrapped in a fresh, whole wheat tortilla, with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and red onion. Good. Other burgers and dishes are served, as well as coffees and teas.

Pros: fresh food

Return to Bergen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pygmalion closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4272 times since Jun 2008.