First Review by Tollyboy

Unexpected find in Westport - Edit

I was worried that good vegetarian fare might be hard to find in Ireland, but I was pleasantly surprised to find many great veg-friendly restaurants. However, of all the places I ate during my 9 week stay, The Purple Root Cafe was my favorite. The owner/ chef was friendly, the menu was varied with many affordable choices, and the food was yummy. The location was ideal and the space was comfortable and charming. My only complaint is that the chef has yet to put out a cook book!

Pros: Delicious, healthful food, Good location, Friendly people

Cons: No cookbook, No location near my home!

The Real Deal - Edit

Despite what the listing says, Purple Root is open till 7 pm; not sure how many days a week, and it does both takeout and eat-in.
Ate there last week (April, 2013) after being amazed to find that there was such a restaurant in Westport, Co. Mayo.
The food is raw, and totally delicious.
It is owned, so I am told, by a female artist (and obvious entrepreneur) who designed the chairs you sit on.
The young woman who was running the place has been trained in raw vegan dishes by the owner, and, like all Irish people I met on my two-week trip, is a delight to talk to and deal with.
Bottom line: The food is delicious and Purple Root is diagonally opposite the Tourism Office, which is how my wife found out about it.
For vegans it's a life-saver.
Five stars out of five.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 24, 2013

Pros: Terrific food, Great service, One of a kind

Cons: Can't think of any!

Return to Westport Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Purple Root Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2069 times.