CLOSED: Puree Organic Cafe

843-884-5464

1034 Chuck Dawley Blvd, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, USA, 29464

Mt. Pleasant organic vegetarian cafe and baby goods store. Provides whole food meals with seitan, tempeh, tofu entrees, and sides inspired by local ingredients. Sample menu items include chimichurri seitan with barley kalalmata salad, vegan cookies, and vegan chocolate cupcake. Wi-fi access in a cozy cottage. SHUT DOWN IN DEC 2013, CONFIRMED BY OWNER.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Organic, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Andrewrgibbs

Disappointed - Edit

Not much variety of food in the menu. Portions are super small, but the prices are defenitely expensive. Seitan was so much deep fried that it was firm like a stone and tasted as if is was kept in boiling fat for ages. Vegan cheese was rather insipid.

Everything else was very tasty, especially bread. The service was super fast and kind!

One more disadvantage to mention - bad air inside. All your clothes, hair and skin will keep the odors of the kitchen.

Pros: fast service, tasty bread

Cons: scant portions for high price, unfresh air, dreadful seitan

Wonderful - Edit

My fav restaurant in Charleston! Puree Organic Cafe has excllent food. The French Toast and the Deep South Plate are two of my favorities, but you can not go wrong with anything you order. Almost anything on the menu can be vegazied (if it isn't already), and the staff is extreamly helpful. Two thumbs up!
The atomosphere is very relaxed so give yourself some extra time to sit back and relax and enjoy.

Pros: Great Food, Helpful Staff

Delicious, local and healthy! - Edit

I am a Vegan and I have been leaving in Charleston for 10 years. I have been able to locate really awesome Vegan options when I travel abroad but never in Charleston..... , NOW, we FINALLY have a locally owned vegan/veggie cafe that offers fantastic menu options and really competes with restaurants that you would find in Asheville, NC or Portland, Oregon.

Owner, Jenan, is super cool and really cares about her business and her customers. Be sure to try their fabulous desserts/pastries. If you can eat wheat, DEFINITELY EAT ' The Deep South'. Also, Gluten-free?? Then, try their FANTASTIC "Pad Thai".

5 stars for this restaurant!

Pros: locally owned, quality customer service, creative food combinations

Cons: only 1 location

Good - Edit

It's nice to see vegan and organic options starting to pop up in Charleston. But we still have a long way to go ... The website was out of date. So don't expect to see the kids menu there. In addition, the pad thai was a pretty small portion for a $14 price tag. However, the tempeh scallopini was very good ... And so was the blue corn tamale. I will probably go there again, but without the kids ... And probably for lunch.

Pros: cute place, good service

Lovely - Edit

Located right next door to the veggie-friendly Mustard Seed, Puree is in good company. My wife & I visited with our 1yo daughter; we had places to go, so ordered the food to takeaway. Everything was made to order, so we had to wait abut 15 minutes, which we spent picking out a toy from the in-store baby shop.

The food was excellent; very well made and a good range of flavours, using tempeh, seitan and much veg. We'll be going back for a sit down meal before we leave. (they have highchairs incase you were wondering).

For my money, the best veggie food in the Mount Pleasant / Charleston area (and a lot of other places for that matter). 5 stars, or moos, or whatever they are.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good size portions, Fair price

Return to Mount Pleasant Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Puree Organic Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.