Pure Vegetarian - Total Vegetarian

Contact n/a

Shop 8, Market Plaza Food Court, Moonta St (at Chinatown), Adelaide, South Australia,

Food stall in Chinatown Market Plaza next to the Adelaide Central market. Offers Taiwanese style vegan food. Combo meal comes with rice or noodle plus a glass of soy drink (hot/cold). On the menu are items like curry puffs, vegetable curry, sweet and sour gluten, spicy eggplant, deep fried pumpkin, ribbon mock fish fillet, fried hokkien noodle, fried rice vermicelli, mapo tofu, and Southeast Asian desserts. Busy on weekdays during lunch. All vegan as of April 2012. Reported still operating as of Jan 2016. Mon-Thu 10:00am-4:00pm, Sat 10:00am-4:00pm, Fri 10:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Fast food, Taiwanese

First Review by happypaddock

Cheap, Easy & 100% Vegan! - Edit

The only 100% vegan food stall in the Adelaide Central Market Food Court. Tasty with a lot of choice, but a little on the salty and oily side. At least it's cheap AND they have brown rice!

Pros: Cheap, Convenient, Tasty

Cons: A little oily and salty

Great value and 100% vegan - Edit

The food here is quite nice and their prices are very cheap: you get a really large serve including a soy drink for less than $10. They have the same choices every day but quite a nice selection so that it does not get boring so quickly. A perfect choice for a vegan lunch in the CBD!

Pros: cheap, 100% vegan

Cheap and all vegan - Edit

The food here is pretty good and excellent value. I'd recommend the place if you like mock meat. It's in a food court so the atmosphere isn't that great but the staff are still very nice.

Pros: Tasty food , Excellent value, All vegan

Cons: Food court atmosphere

Great hidden gem - Edit

We were very happy with this food court restaurant.
Service was quick and friendly, food was good. They offer brown rice and free soymilk.
Good variety of food options, all of them are vegan.
We got a huge plate of food for 8,80$ and had 3 sides plus rice. Def. recommended!

Pros: cheap and delicious, good location, fast service

Cons: loud foodcourt

okay - Edit

Good price and good amount of food for 10$ but this has to he to be the oiliest food I've ever eaten despite It being noodle /rice tofu and vege based I'm not sure it's still low fat with the sheer amount of oil dripping off the food

Cheap and tasty - Edit

Pure Vegetarian is a 100% vegan restaurant located in the Food Court at the Central Markets. For 8.8$ you can get a meal that will completely satisfy you. Choose between rice or noodles as a base and pick three "toppings". This is propably the cheapest vegan meal you can get in Adelaide, so go for it!

Pros: Tasty, Cheap , No garlic, onion, MSG

Ok if you're into mock meat - Edit

I didn't particularly enjoy my lunch here. The food had been out for a while so wasn't overly warm and it was all just a bit greasy and fatty for me. If you enjoy mock meat then you might enjoy it more but it was a bit too realistic for me!

Cheap and cheerful! - Edit

I love that this establishment has been around for so long and has hardly changed....for the better.
Meals are cheap and very tasty. For a 3 selection dish with rice or noodles, plus a free soya bean milk, one will only pay $8.80. That's crazy cheap!
I love the curry which has long been a favourite, the eggplant is delish and the vegetarian fish covered in their peanut sauce is super special. Portions are generous and I had no issue with my meal being hot (it was perfect)!
I love the bustling atmosphere of this busy food court - highly recommend!

Vegan Value - Edit

Pure Vegetarian is an Asian style food stall within the Market Plaza Food Court, easily the most popular food court of the central markets/Chinatown. It is located near the west end of the food court. It's a busy stall in a busy food court at a busy market but you can usually find a seat without much trouble. It's clean but not attractive. No-one comes to this food court for décor.

The food is well priced, even for food court fare, and a good size. Their fake fish is very convincing but I particularly like their eggplant and their chickpea/pumpkin dishes.

The limited menu is all vegan and does not change. Apart from the hot dishes there is the soy milk and a selection of Asian entrees. There are two things that can put people off, however. One is they use no onion/garlic at all and are light on salt so the flavour profile is not quite the usual. The other is they offer free hot or cold soy milk I assume they make themselves. It tends to be polarising. Some love it and others do not. I do not enjoy it so tell them no and get a drink elsewhere.

The service is typical of food stalls. Very fast and not very connected. They will answer questions well enough.

The style here is food court stall.

This review covers many visits.

Pros: Price, Fast, Tastes good

Cons: Busy place at certain times, Limited selection

Convenient but average food - Edit

Very good value for money-a filling plate for $7-9. The food is very simple but pleasant with a decent selection. My food was a bit cold and others asked for theirs to be microwaved. Convenient location and while the food court isn't pretty, it is clean.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go here as the food isn't anything special but if I were in the area I'd go again. Useful for a quick lunch.

Fast, friendly, filling - Edit

This place is fantastic. Cheap, tasty, and good variety.
My usual is 3 choices with a (free) hot soy milk: (1) sweet and sour gluten, (2) spicy eggplant (3) spring roll with peanut sauce.
If I want the pretence of eating healthily, I'll skip #3 and get the broccoli or pumpkin instead.

There's a sago dessert which is a scary shade of bright green, but it tastes great.

It's in a food court, so obviously don't go there for a romantic candle-lit dinner ;)

Pros: Cheap, Tasty, Quick

Cons: Can get very crowded and noisy

Tasty, clean, fast and budget. - Edit

I first started eating here in 2002. Still in business and still thriving. Enjoy the vegan food court dining experience.

Its pretty low sodium so your face and ankles don't puff up too much the next day if you are a sedentary person.

Pros: variety, healthy, budget

inexpensive and tasty - Edit

I was excited to see the 'all vegan' sign when I entered the food court in Chinatown. Despite the low price the food did not disappoint either. I had sweet and sour gluten, fish bites and broccoli with white rice and it was tasty and filling.

last stand in the food court at central market - Edit

I walked into the food court and made it to the last stand and found it.
I got a 3 item plate with noodles and soy milk for $8.30. They had rice or flour noodle as options. I had the curry and it was great with big pieces of potato and carrot. They had some sort of "meat" in there. I had to look at the sign again to re-assure myself it was not real meat. I also had the sweet and sour and the stir fried bean curd.
Over all it was very good, but I would like it to be a little spicier.

Pros: value

Cons: not enough spice

Great food, great price! - Edit

This is a really great place to grab a quick, cheap and delicious meal.

I've eaten here many times and always go back, service is prompt and the food is fresh. I would recommend the eggplant dish and the potato curry.

Pros: Great Value, Big Portions, Fast Service

A favourite - Edit

Love this place. For cheap quick easy delicious vegan food (and lots of it) plus a free drink (if you get the "choice of 3" option, which I always do) it cannot be beaten.

Husband & I are regular customers - after a morning of shopping in the city it's just a short walk to Central Market food court and we are often to be found working our way through a vast mound of Pure Vegan's finest produce.

Choice is by necessity limited and the menu doesn't change much but then it's so tasty and filling and cheap that I don't think they should mess with a winning formula.

Ideal for food-on-the-go.

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Large protions

Vegan Fast Food - Edit

After a morning in Rundle Mall shopping this was a quick 10 minute walk (even faster if you take the tram) for a very satisfying lunch. The choice was good and the helpings extremely generous. I was very surprised, and delighted, to find a fast food outlet selling only vegan food. Convenient, tasty, quick, filling and easy to get to. I will eat there again next time we visit Adelaide.

Pros: fast, convenient, easy to get to

Cons: very crowded food court

Fast food for Vegos - Edit

Sometimes come here for a quick dinner on Friday nights at the markets. Not particularly gourmet but very generous servings and quite cheap. A number different options with the rice/noodle combo. Definitely good comfort food during those cold rainy winter nights!

Pros: Generous serves, Cheap, Nice staff

Cons: Bit greasy

Tasty and Quick - Edit

They serve a good selection of vegan food (the fried bean curd is one of my favs!) It's like fast food for vegans, cheap, quick and even pretty damn healthy.

Pros: Quick, Tasty

Cons: Sometimes slightly oily

Quick, tasty, satisfying, value, & unpretentious - Edit

My first time in Adelaide and I was quite impressed with Pure Vegetarian food ..... because they are quick, tasty, satisfying, value, & unpretentious. 3 choices from a good selection of 8 different dishes from the bainmarie + rice or noddle and a glass of FREE soya drink - only $7.50! Such a great value! The food is very tasty too - choose from curry vegetables, sweet & sour glutens, chilly eggplants, mapo tofu, deep fried pumpkin, vegetarian seaweed fish fillets, stir fried hokkien noodles, fried rice vermicelli, curry puffs...... Yum! Their serving is very large, too .... therefore it is very satisfying and unpretentious yummy food at the price any traveller can afford.

My favourite from this place is their CURRY PUFFS ($2.20 ea). Large serving and the filling very yummy! A MUST TRY!

Pros: Great value, Quick , Tasty

Cons: Only open Mon-Fri, does not open for dinner, same dishes everyday

yum - Edit

The food here is really nice, and since there is hardly any vege choices in the market food court it is very convenient. I dont believe the food is amazingly healthy, but its better than other things you can choose. Its great value and the staff and friendly. I don't like that free soy drink though, ew. But the desserts and really nice, there is one, forgot what it is called but it is like green jelly with this sweet sauce and it is very nice, but very sweet.

Pros: good food, convenient, good range of food

Return to Adelaide Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pure Vegetarian - Total Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5395 times since Aug 2007.