Pure City

Contact 845-744-8888

100 Main St (at Rte 52), Pine Bush, New York, USA, 12566

All vegan Chinese food, only ice cream is dairy. Offers lunch specials and an extensive menu. Brown rice available. No alcohol. Tue-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Take-out, Asian

First Review by

Yummy Vegan food - Edit

This place is small but cute and very Clean and fantastic Vegan food . My wife and I ate there around noon Sat I would say the Hot and Sour Soup was maybe the best we've ever tried EVER and that's not a small task . All the food was delicious but the soup OMG

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-27

Pros: All VEGAN Except for the > ice cream , Cute and Very Clean , The best Hot & Sour soup we've ever has SO YUMMY

Cons: Expensive but worth it 8) It's a treat

Varied menu, fine food - Edit

Pure City is an unexpected find in upstate NY. The menu is extensive. We had Six Paramitas - a delicious combination of fried mashed tofu balls with vegetables, Asia Forest (asparagus with veggie sausage) and Rainbow Seitan Strips. All were nicely prepared. We also had the Mango Pudding - which was really a vegan jellied dessert, and a lovely chocolate cheese cake. The only drawback was that we came on a busy Saturday night, and service was slow as it was understaffed, understandably as it appears to be a family operation.

Pros: big menu, inventive food

Cons: understaffed

The Best Vegan Chinese - Edit

Better than any of the 5 or 6 other vegetarian Chinese restaurants I have visited in New York City, New Jersey or Philadelphia. This one is in the rural town of Pine Bush, in upstate NY'S scenic Catskills. Large menu with traditional and gourmet recipe Chinese and Asian choices. I had the spring rolls appetizer, which was fried but not greasy. My entree was Pho, small meatless balls with a light sauce-- very good. Served with broccoli and enoki mushrooms that was perfectly cooked. I look forward to returning to try some other interesting flavor combinations, although it is off my usual path. Small, family run. Clean and pleasant. Food was quickly served.

Pros: creative recipes, healthier than other Chinese , Owner operated

Cons: 20 miles from I-84 or I-87

Best Meal I Have Ever Had Period - Edit

I was delighted to stumble across this charming vegan restaurant in the middle of a very small town. The food was absolutely incredible. For the table, we ordered the Green Jade, Teriyaki Veggie Steak, and the Veggie Nugget Orange Flavor and everyone at the table was blown away by how delicious it was. I say without reservation that it was the best meal I have ever had. The service was wonderful, the price is reasonable, and I highly recommend it to anyone in the area.

Pros: Amazing food, Good service, Reasonably Priced

Beyond sad. - Edit

So I just want to start off by saying. We have been eating here for at least 7 years. We have enjoyed their food. Plates are beautifully displayed, portions are perfect. We always, always come home with left overs! Which is exactly what we do each time we go. Order beyond enough and come home with lots of leftovers! So the next day we can enjoy this amazing meal again! :)
So, it is beyond me to not understand after eating there for so many years and having one bad experience this last time. All 6 of my family members went here and spent $236 which included a very nice tip, for the many years of service. We always have done, and would have included also in our future. [edit by staff - see ToS]. I guess this was our mistake for coming in so late, to a very small town restaurant, expecting FRESH FOOD always. The saddest part, was the denial she had with me over and over on the phone.. Since all the food had no nourishing value, we believed we should have had our money put back on our card. Deny Deny Deny
Thank you Have a beautiful day.

Pros: Delicious

Cons: Greasy, Not Fresh, Not Nourishing

Pine Bush Surprise - Edit

I never in a million years would have thought a place like this would exist in a quiet town like Pine Bush. A friend recommended this place to me, and boy am I glad she did. It's 40 minutes from where I live but worth the drive.

This is primarily a Chinese restaurant. Everything on the menu is vegetarian. I believe a lot of dishes are also vegan. The food is delicious and so well prepared. My personal favorites are the Pure City platter which is a little sampling of what they have to offer. I also love the ginger veggie nugget strips with string beans and the veggie soy protein with broccoli. They have a huge selection to choose from and everything on the menu looks good.

I highly recommend this! If you are with non-vegetarian family or friends, they will enjoy this as well. I have several friends who don't eat vegetarian all the time and they knew about this place before I did. :-)

Pros: Huge menu selection, Delicious well presented food

Refused to serve me because of Service Dog - Edit

I grew up in Pine Bush used to frequent Pure City quite often when I was younger, then I moved away. During the time I was away I became sick and disabled. I now require the assistance of a service dog everywhere I go. He is extremely well mannered, well groomed, and very necessary for me to be able to function independently. He has a green vest that designates him as a service dog.

Upon entering Pure City and taking my seat, the manager (a woman) scuttled into the kitchen and began yelling in Chinese. A few minutes later a young boy (presumably her son, who was also the waiter) came and asked me to tie my dog up outside. I explained calmly and rationally that I am sick and he needs to be with me at all times in case I have an "episode." He apologized and went back to talk with his mom. A few minutes later (and after more yelling from the kitchen) her older son came out with the same story; "can you please leave your dog outside, my mom is 'afraid' of dogs and this is a small restaurant." I again explained that I needed him to be with me, adding in this time that if I were in a wheelchair would they ask me to leave that outside. He returned to his mother and after still more yelling the cook (father) came out and asked me to leave. Again I explained that he is a service dog and that he and I are protected under the law and that it is illegal for them to refuse me service on the grounds of my disability. They simply replied "can you just go to another restaurant." And that is exactly what I did, deciding that I'd rather spend my money in a place I felt welcomed and rather not chance my food being spat in.

In short, they were very unfriendly and unprofessional. They also broke federal law by refusing to serve me (they wouldn't even bring me a glass of water while I waited for the person I was meeting). They are not compliant with the American Disabilities Act in the least bit (including not being wheelchair accessible). I was extremely disappointed with the discrimination I faced at a restaurant I used to frequently enjoy.

Cons: Unprofessional, Discriminatory

Fine Vegan Dining at a Great Price - Edit

Great place for dinner, perfect for a date. Small inside, but they didn't try to over do it by cramming in another table. Wide selection on the menu. Pretty good prices too. The most expensive dish on the menu is $16.

So yummy!! - Edit

Loved eating at this all vegan/vegetarian Chinese restaurant. It was nice to know that everything on their menu was safe to choose from without wondering if there are non-vegan ingredients sneaked inside them (With the exception of some of their desserts that include dairy). What a selection to choose from as well! The food was wonderful, tasty, and not too salty as you find at other Chinese restaurants. Definitely will go back again!

Pros: Large menu, Attentive staff, Great food

Fantastic! - Edit

My husband and I have lived in the area for years and had no idea that a 100% vegan place was in our back yard. So we were very pleased to find out they have great food too. We definitely will be going back and brining our friends.

Pros: Great Food, Nice Staff, Great Atmosphere

Pretty Good - Edit

My husband and I ate here on the way back from the Woodstock Museum. It was pretty good. This was the first time I have ever eat a vegan Chinese meal. It was good and the prices were reasonable. It wasn't overly crowded for a Friday night but the staff was very friendly and nice.

Vegan Enclave - Edit

This place is fantastic. As an ENTIRELY vegan restaurant (that doesn't even use honey), it is one-of-a-kind in its area. Especially when driving across NY, it's a great place to stop along the way. They do not serve lunch specials on the weekends, which can make a bill pretty expensive. [For 2 people, we spent $50 for appetizer, entrees, and dessert. When we got just entrees, it was until $30.] Plenty of free parking is available on the street. No alcohol is served or permitted in the restaurant.

The Pure City Platter is a lovely sampler, but not very big, so overpriced for what you get. But, it is a great way to try so many of the items that sound delicious. The spare ribs in particular were excellent, as were the veggie nuggets. My experience with veggie nuggets was different than listed by another user. I thought they were like a less-tough version of seitan. The Sesame Veggie Nuggets and the Mixed Diced Vegetable in Taro were great. So was the cheesecake! (though the piece was small for the price)

Pros: everything is so tasty and vegan, variety on menu, quick service

Cons: not all that healthy, kind of expensive

Pure City in Pine Bush O.C. N.Y. - Edit

The food is prepared so amazing here,the won-ton soup is to die for,the noodles are so light and sweet and salty and savory all at the same time mmmmm....the miso bean curd soup makes me do a little happy dance,awesome pure city fried rice but I think my favorite thing on the menu is General Tso`s Veggie Nuggets!!!

Pros: very friendly staff, yummy,healthy food, nice atmosphere

Cons: cant go as often due to high prices

Yum - Edit

I somehow managed to convince my father to go 20 minutes out of his way to treat me here, and it was worth it! The place is a vegan haven(so lovely to go to a completely vegan restaurant too!), especially in an area which is so sparse with anything remotely related to vegetable cuisine! Even omnis won't be disappointed(the only negative is that means less left-overs for you!) We had a delicious smorgasbord of food that I cannot quite remember, although the mock spare-ribs left a distinct memory because they were rather bland! (normally one of my favorite dishes too D:) They had excellent tea in neat little teacups (couldn't figure out how to drink my green tea at first and my father had actual rosebuds in his!) It's a good thing one of these places is not located by me, otherwise I'd see my savings funneling down fast! The restaurant is actually located near a tiny little health food store that you can walk to afterwords!

Pros: vegan!, healthy, good value

Pure City makes me Truly Happy! - Edit

I go 30 minutes out of my way often to visit this wonderful restaurant. It is run by a lovely family who are providing a great asset to the town of Pine Bush.

Some of my favorite items on the menu include:
Golden roll appetizer - a simple but delicious fake meat
Veggie nuggets - completely home-made treat consisting of a pastry shell stuffed with a tasty filling and tied up with a veggie "string" of leek (?) before lightly frying
Veggie dices
Singapore Style mee fun (a small portion but very yummy)
Curry Noodle Soup

Completely vegan and reasonably priced.

Pros: Great variety, Friendly staff, Very clean

Cons: The background music , Closed Sun/Mon

Fresh & Wonderful Vegan Food - Edit

The owner is wonderful and has a book of photos of most dishes if you want to see something first. We love to start with the steamed veggie dumplings. Our fave entrees are the ginger veggie nuggets, the orange flavor and the sizzling soy platter on the gourmet dishes menu... all sure to please any meat eater. As a ginger lover, their fresh slices of ginger throughout the dish is a sure pleaser. They have takes on standard chinese fare as well such as general tso and a veggie protein and broccoli which my niece loved thinking it was chicken and broccoli. The mock-meat style tastes and looks better and fresher than any meat-like fare I've had. If you have the room, top your meal off with the chocolate tofu pie which is like the best chocolate cheesecake or chocolate silk pie you've ever had. Lunches are super cheap too!

Pros: clean, healthy, great value

Vegan Heaven - Edit

We just ate at Pure City last night for the second time and it was unbelievable! So good in fact that we ordered 2 extra entrees to take home for dinner tonight!!! I highly recommend the veggie protein in orange sauce over asparagus. My DH had the Red Ocean - a kind of sweet and sour - and gave it a big thumbs up too. My only two complaints are: 1. 20 miles from my house & 2. Closed on Sundays and Mondays (my days off). I am trying to convince the manager to offer cooking lessons!

Pros: Wide variety of entrees, Vegan, vegan everywhere, Brown Rice!

Cons: Closed Sun & Mon, Small seating area, Far from home...

Some of the best vegetarian food anywhere - Edit

Although this restaurant is not on the beaten path, it is worth the trek. I was looking for a place to celebrate my birthday with a number of friends, who are both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. I have tried many vegetarian restaurants all over the world, and this one is unique, has fabulous food and exceptional service. Bravo to the staff, and owners who are kind, generous, and above all exceptional cooks. Also, excellent desserts... the tofu ice cream is indescribably delicious....a great time in a great place.

Return to Pine Bush Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pure City closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4532 times since Aug 2007.