CLOSED: Pure Cafe

03-54662611

Minami-aoyama, 5-5-21, Minatoku (at 1st floor of AVEDA), Tokyo, Japan

Vegan cafe offering sandwiches, soup, salad, sweets, breakfast. Staff speak English. At 東京都港区南青山5-5-21. Affiliated with Eightablish vegan bakery. CLOSED MAY 2016 - REOPENED AS PURE DELI AND STORE JUNE 2016. Open Mon-Sun 8:30am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Organic, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Baza

great breakfast spot - Edit

Was having troubles finding breakfast in Tokyo but this cute little Cafe with window seats saved us for at least 1 morning. They even had snacks for sale which were life savers for the next day of adventuring.

Pros: to go snacks avail, desserts, easy to get to

Cons: price, small portions

Very tasty - Edit

Good vegan food in Harajuku, expensive due to its location and the portion was a little bit small (I'm not a very big eater either!). But the food is very tasty, they do a really good home made soy lassi!

Pros: great location, soy lassi , all food can be take away

Cons: a touch pricey, not many seats

great snacks - Edit

Great spot to grad a bunch of take away snacks for a long day of exploring Tokyo.

Pros: healthy

Cons: expensive

Well worth the trip! - Edit

This cafe is located in Omotesando/Harajuku, one of my favourit places in the whole world with its vibrant dynamic culutre life, you´ll find design shops next to graffiti shops.

The cafe has a lot of diffenret options and since I´m not a fan of salads myself I can recommend their sandwiches. Their smoothies and deserts are also great! This is a place I can highly recommend, the staff is super friendly and the place is super cozy, however, even though the food is great I´m missing that extra "wow" factor to it (the food) to give it a five star rating.

Pros: Great options, Great staff, Great deserts

Cons: a tiny bit too pricey, missing that "wow" factor on the food

Its a good restaurant that can be improved...:) - Edit

I dinned there with my wife two nights ago and it was a good experience. We were very hungry and the portions weren't small. The soup was good, the salad regular, the enchilada was good, it had avocado, my wife liked the tempeh burger ans loved the pudding fruit cake, but I didn't like the cheesecake, it was just a regular lemon and walnut taste. The deli isn't special, it's just regular beens, salad, boiled or fried vegetables but it is healthy. The drinks were overpriced indeed. Our only observations were that it was too cold inside, that the prices were too high for regular food and that you have to go order and pick up your food at the counter.

Pros: English and friendly speaking staff, good burger, great pudding cake, relaxing atmosphere

Cons: a little too expensive, a little too cold inside, the iterms for sale - small and pricey

Stylish place - Edit

I love the location and the ambiance of this place which fits to the neighborhood quite well.

Good place for a rest while in Omotesando area.

Pros: Location, Atmosphere

Too successful? - Edit

Based on the many happy reviews on this website we went to the Pure Cafe in Ometesando, Tokyo. It seems like this cafe is suffering from its own succes! During lunch it was so busy that people had to stand in line just to wait for a table to become available. The chef was working very hard to deliver all the orders, but the waiting time wasn't too bad.

I think the chef read the complaints about small portions on Happy Cow, because our lunches were huge and looked different from the photos on Happy Cow! We even had trouble finishing it all. The quality of the ingredients was top notch. The preparation, seasoning and presentation was also spot on. Prices are high, but considering the quality of the product it's worth it.

Although the Pure Cafe is a good restaurant, I still prefer the "Brown Rice Cafe" a few blocks away in the same neighbourhood (even higher quality, easier to get a table, even more relaxed atmosphere).

Pros: good quality food, easy to find, nice atmosphere

Cons: high prices, can be very busy (wait for a table)

One of my favorites in Tokyo! - Edit

This is the cutest, nicest most wonderful place. First time I went I asked if it really was vegan because it seemed too good to be true! When i went for breakfast I had the banana bread with tofu cream, and the banana bread is so yummy! My friend got the home made granola which also was very nice! For lunch I tried the tempeh sandwich and OH MY, it's the best sandwich I've every had, absolutely incredible. My friend liked her cheesecake and their muffins are also really nice!!!

Pros: Yummy yummy yummy, Reasonable prices, Great place

Cons: Time limited menu which can be hard

Tasty food - Edit

Fresh and tasty, easy to find!

Breakfast sets - Edit

We have had breakfast here before and enjoyed it so we went back. Staff are friendly, place has a great atmosphere- only detracted from by the rather odd EDM music that was playing at 9am! Last time we came here it didn't have that kind of music so maybe it was just a one-off. Portions aren't big by any means but the price is only around 650¥ for a set so it's very reasonable. We just bought a couple of homemade cakes afterwards.

My set consisted of toast with a choice of either tofu cheese, peanut butter or tofu cream, with a drink and a side salad. My boyfriends set consisted of a small bowl of homemade granola (it had whole pecans and chopped dates/fresh banana in it) with rice milk and a drink.

They have 6 breakfast set options and loads of dinner options so I'm looking forward to going back.

Pros: Price, Staff and general atmosphere, Variety

Cons: Music was too pumped for the AM!

so great - Edit

This is the first vegan place we have found that is open for breakfast in Tokyo!!!!!!!! Very reasonably priced and fresh and good! Highly recommend. Only had the breakfast but will defiantly go back for lunch and dinner

Pros: nice space and area, good prices, breakfast

Cons: none

Perfect! - Edit

Nice and cosy little restaurant with good food and helpful staff. We had an amazing dinner and have no complains at all. It's sort of a tapas place, you order a few dishes and share. We ate the brushetta and rainbow salad (so good!), wraps, fried tofu and fries. We will come again before our weak here in Tokyo has come to an end!

Cute café in a great area - Edit

We had delicious sandwiches, soup, mini cake, and salad for our Lunch Set in Pure Café. We were both full, so the portions are definitely not small, but just right. The café was clean, and the service was friendly; they spoke English too. As someone suggested here, only 1 minute from the Omotesando station! Take exit B3, and turn immediately left - it's in Aveno building! Easy! The best part was looking out the window at all the dressed up Omotesando walkers as we were enjoying our lunch. It's an affluent and stylish area of Japan, and it's a whole sightseeing experience in itself. Great for a date :) Will be back to Pure Café - their dinner looked different, had burgers, so want to try that too.
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 13, 2015

Pros: 1 minute from station, good service, cool vibe

yum! - Edit

We had a delicious lunch set which consisted of a tandoori tofu sandwich, a soup, a salad and a small piece of banana bread - delicious! Will definitely visit again to try the other things on the menu. Nice and relaxed vibe with friendly staff.

Pros: easy to find, yum

Cons: not cheap but worth it

A lovely Tokyo vegan standby - Edit

This is one of the few places I know of in Tokyo where you can get vegan breakfast.. I'm talking muffins, scones, smoothies, soy yogurt with muesli, tofu spread or peanut butter on toast, etc and it opens early enough in the day to eat there for breakfast. It's also a fantastic spot for a top notch lunch or light dinner (think salads, sandwiches and soups) - I like sitting by the window and people watching! It's also in a great location for those planning on exploring Omotesando street! Downsides are that portions are a little on the smaller side and the desserts and drinks are especially pricey. The location, ambience, good hours, and high quality food still warrant giving this place 4 stars :)

Pros: good location, very close to station , chic, laid-back vibe , great hours

Cons: small portions, a bit pricey

great food - Edit

The food was great! The restaurant was clean! And the staff was very friendly and spoke great english!

one of the two best vegan places in Japan - Edit

the reviews already cover how great this place is.
ive been coming here for years for dinner-
favorites are the deli plate, the vegan burger, tempeh, and enchiladas.

If you are looking for volume, you'll need to order more than one thing- forgivable considering the quality of food and the expensive location they are at.

Pros: Its basically all pro

Amazing food and super friendly staff! - Edit

Two words: Go. There. :D

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Pure Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.