Pulse Cafe

270 Russell St, Hadley, Massachusetts, USA, 01035

Plant-based cafe opened Aug 2017 featuring vegan food and drinks and communal table seating. On the menu are vegan pizza, burgers, salads, small plates, soup bar, desserts, bottled juices and mylks. Sells a few market items. Organic and local ingredients. Gluten-free options. Open Mon-Thu 4:00pm-8:30pm, Fri 11:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, American, Pizza, Organic, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by nafanc

A little disappointing - Edit

I've eaten at quite a few Seventh Day Adventist restaurants, and have always enjoyed delicious food. Pulse Cafe does not live up to previous experiences.

They come across as a gourmet eatery, but most dishes are too bland. For the prices they charge, I think sandwiches could be on more interesting bread. The bread and pizza dough taste mass produced.

I tried a mylk my first visit, and found it very hard to stomach. The few good things are the sweet and russet potato wedges, and the sauces accompanying them.

I've been twice now, and I don't think I'll be back anytime soon.

Pros: condiments, nice staff

Cons: prices, untrained staff

Too good to be true! - Edit

Update:
I've come back several times since my first visit and continue to be impressed. Their market has a lot of great products, many of which I've searched for unsuccessfully in other places. It's really good to see so many awesome vegan brands all in one place.

I also tried the Pulse burger today and was really pleased. There are two types of veggie burgers: the grain/pressed veggie/composite burgers and the meat imitation burgers. I am usually partial to the latter, like the Beyond Burger or seitan/tempeh/tofu based burgers, because of their savory quality and texture. Pulse's burger is more of the first category, but I still loved it.

Everything in the burger was simply fantastic. Great bread; bright, fresh veggie; big, juicy pickle slices; savory cheez; and hearty sauce. And all of that perfectly complemented the burger patty, which featured mushroom and various veggies (zucchini perhaps?). I was blown away by how much flavor it had, and the texture was great too - a nice departure from many grain burgers that are mealy and/or flour-y.

Really great work, Pulse. Keep it up!

-----------

This place is phenomenal. The food is fresh, delicious, and beautifully presented. The staff are warm and welcoming, giving prompt and friendly service. And the space is open and inviting.

We came as a party of three and ordered five different items to share: Blanca pizza, garbanzo butternut squash soup, mac and cheez, chef's choice roasted veggie calzone, and chef's choice mushroom and grain bowl.

Everything was really enjoyable., and all at a very reasonable price. Our check was about $40 for everything, and all of the items are clearly super fresh and lovingly made. The portions are also generous, so we ended up with leftovers!

A few memorable notes: the mac and cheez arrives on a cute cast iron skillet. The mushroom dish came with a super generous helping of the good stuff - lots of delicious mushroom in every bite. The Blanca pizza was lovely in its simplicity, with nice colors and really good flavor.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience. I really hope this place thrives.

My one concern is that their space is really large (perhaps too big?), and they seem to be stretching themselves in many directions in terms of what they do. They have a huge staff, and In addition to the food cafe, they also have a separate juice bar that is in the back of the building and a vegan snack market with things like bread, popcorn, etc., on another side of the building. I think the building also has an upstairs, but I'm not sure if they're using it.

But I hope my fears are unfounded! Pulse is so, so great, and I would love if they're here for the long haul. It's such a great place for the veg*ns among us, and I suspect that they could also do quite well with omni patrons as well, given the high quality of their offerings.

Best of luck to Pulse. I look forward to coming back many more times!

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-18

Pros: Delicious, beautiful food, Nice decor, Good value

Return to Hadley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pulse Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.