CLOSED: Pulp Cafe & Juice Bar

908-996-5253

2 Race St (at Bridge St), Frenchtown, New Jersey, USA, 08825

A 100% vegetarian/vegan cafe and juice bar opened January 2015 and offering dinner since 2016. Located where Race St turns into Bridge St. Vegans try the tempeh bacon cheeseburger. In addition to juices, drinks include coffee, tea and smoothies. Confirmed closed for relocation, Oct 2017 - please send updates. Kitchen closes 30 minutes before end.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by pandora_13

Underwhelmed but want to support - Edit

It was a beautiful day in the fall, we were hiking nearby and planned to get food here after. We came hungry but decided to wait for a table outside since it was so gorgeous out. They only had one table outside, but decided to wait anyway and nosh on one of the vegan scones. It was delicious. Eventually we sat down and ordered. We both wanted the tofu scramble but they said they only had one portion left, so we got that and a smoothie bowl to share. I'm not sure if it was just the circumstance of running low but the tofu scramble portion was very very small. Since I was hungry, this was a bit disappointing. They could have added more veggies or kale or potatoes but really everything together was just a small handful. It wasn't seasoned all that well either -- it was just stir-fried plain tofu with maybe a little seasoning. And it took a LONG time to get both items. They kind of missed on the smoothie bowl as well. It was watery before we finished it, indicating it was made with more ice than fruit. We felt totally underwhelmed.
Perhaps we just caught them on an off/busy day or didn't order the better items. I really want to support vegan businesses like this so I'd try them again... but word of caution if you're arriving hungry -- order wisely. I'll update this review after I've had a chance to try again.

Pros: Vegan, Cozy

Cons: Tiny portions, Bland food, Slow service, long wait for food

best vegan food in the region - Edit

This small cafe in historic Frenchtown is excellent for vegans. Just a short walk from the Delaware River and the towpath, next to the bike shop, it is a hidden gem. I had the tofu scramble for lunch and it came with fried potatoes, spinach, mushroom, kale and toast with vegan butter. Mmmmmm!!!!

Pros: great creative vegan options

Cons: the restaurant is small but I game always been abl

Delicious salads and cute warm cafe atmosphere - Edit

Had a great lunch at Pulp!
Salads were fresh and hearty with a delicious dressing.
Other things on the menu looked great too, black bean burger, veggie sloppy joes (made with lentils), etc.
Lots of totally vegan options.

Good Veg Eats in our Favorite Little Town - Edit

We stumbled upon Pulp last weekend on a frosty morning in March. We were instantly met by warmth in this golden, cozy, new cafe located where Race Street meets Bridge Street. The menu had the important items you would expect - juices, salads, soups, muffins - and then the addition of some very delectable entrees. We tried their very popular black bean burger, which was great, served with chipotle cashew cream and avocado, and the grilled cheese with tomato and avocado. The staff was sweet to suggest we sub out the cheese for hummus, which added a nice, creamy dimension. The grilled cheese was served on gluten-free bread, but can surely be switched to a whole grain if desired.

If you love good coffee, I mean really, really good coffee, this is the place. They use fresh ground, locally roasted Homestead coffee that is then hand-poured for you over paper cones. Offering almond milk is always a plus for me.

Looking forward to going back to try the other menu items and especially the sweet potato cookies and scones. The service was welcoming, accommodating, and savvy - with a steady flow of regulars coming in for a friendly meal or drink. This place will thrive in this little corner of Frenchtown.

Pros: great feeling, good value, fresh, local food

Cons: cozy size

Happy Accident - Edit

Today we stumbled upon Pulp completely by accident. Looking for a spot to grab some late brunch, I noticed this place tucked into a little nook and snuck over to see what it was. Imagine my surprise to find an all-vegetarian cafe!

The space itself is bright, warm and inviting. It's on the smaller side, with maybe eight or so tables; cozy, but not cramped at all. The menu offered a large selection of juices and smoothies, in addition to a modest selection of breakfast and lunch dishes. It wasn't just the ubiquitous hummus and veggie wrap, either. There was a tempeh burger with coconut "bacon", a lentil-based sloppy joe, sweet potato pancakes with sauteed apples... substantial, creative fare.

Coffee came out first, and was excellent (they serve coffee from nearby Homestead Coffee Roasters). So far, so good! Food quickly followed.

I had The BLA sandwich and a cup of the day's soup (Split Pea). The sandwich consisted of flaked coconut "bacon", shredded lettuce, ripe avocado, and thinly sliced tomato on lightly toasted millet & flax bread. It was a simple sandwich, without dressing or adornment of any kind. (I actually would have liked a schmear of mayo/Nayo or something, just to add a bit of moisture and extra flavor... but a dash of salt and a few shakes of Sriracha did the trick.) Served alongside the sandwich was a cold chopped kale salad; with bits of red onion and a tangy balsamic dressing, this simple salad was incredibly flavorful and really wowed me. The split pea soup was tasty - thick and hearty, with chunks of carrot and potato, and served piping hot.

The boyfriend enjoyed the Tempeh Bacon Cheeseburger, which was also served with that lovely kale salad. The burger itself was a savory, thick-cut slab of tempeh whose interior was moist, almost juicy - a quality I've never really found in tempeh before! The burger was topped with more of those coconut "bacon" bits and a mound of meltingly soft caramelized onions. Shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, and a schmear of chipotle laced, cashew-based cheeze finished it off. (That cheeze was some seriously tasty stuff.)

We finished off the meal by sampling one of their house made (vegan) Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies. This tasty little gem was super moist and just sweet enough, with a hint of coconut flavor... yum!

Pulp is serving fresh, wholesome, tasty food. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal here, as well as our conversation with the proprietors. Looking forward to returning!

Pros: Fresh, wholesome, flavorful food, Breakfast and lunch options offered, Reasonably priced

Return to Frenchtown Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Pulp Cafe & Juice Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.