Puka Dog

Contact 808-742-6044

2360 Kiahuna Plantation Dr (at /on Kauai), Poipu, Hawaii, USA, 96756

Serves meat, vegan options available. Located in the Poipu Shopping Village. Offers a customized veggie dog where you choose your sauce, a relish, mustard, and other options. Most sauces maybe vegan except for the "secret sauce" which reported contains butter - beware.

Category: Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Hallie

Worth going for the relish - Edit

I had lunch here twice during our trip because it was right across from our hotel at Kiahuna Plantation. Based on the reviews I thought it would be an overpriced hot dog, but I actually really enjoyed it! You pick the veggie dog option, skip the special sauce (has dairy), and then pick from a variety of fruit relishes (pineapple, mango, coconut, banana, etc.). I had the pineapple relish one time, mango the next, and both were really delicious! Yes, it's white bread around the dog, but I didn't find it excessive and you can tear it off from the outside and dip it in the relish. Definitely worth trying while in Hawaii!

Pros: Fruit relish options are unusual and delicious, Staff knew what vegan meant (advised me that speci

Cons: Had to wait for veggie dog to be cooked (because i

Split one with a friend. The end. - Edit

This was incredibly overpriced and tasted like they add a TON of sugar to their fruit relishes and Hawaiian mustard. I think it'd be a lot better if they didn't add the sugar but it probably appeals to more people the sweeter it is. I'd like to have the option of a whole wheat bun since the giant bread makes up most of this "meal." An interesting hot dog (if you're into that kind of thing) but nothing special.

Pros: close to resort, unique, local business

Cons: too much sugar, overpriced, unhealthy

Good hot dog - Edit

We went here because we were pretty hungry, I wouldn't recommend it unless you really love hot dogs or you're just hungry and have nowhere else to go.. It was good, but nothing too exciting; it was also pretty pricey for one hot dog. The relish was really good, but the sauces they use aren't vegan so I'm sure it would be even better with those (wish they'd make one vegan!)

Pros: Easy, Fast

Cons: Pricey, Can't eat sauces, only relish

Great Vegan Dogs! - Edit

Charming beach atmosphere. Great place to get your veggie dog on. They will steer you away from the non-vegan garlic sauce. The others are amazing. Happy cow app said it was closed but we called and it was open for a couple more hours. So check on your own.

Saucy - Edit

All fruit relishes & mustards are vegan (all except the garlic secret sauce) & they fill the large bun so you eat it like a hot dog popsicle. This location uses smart dogs which are fine, but nothing special. I had starfruit relish & lilikoi mustard which was tasty.
Overall, it was too much bun & not enough veggie dog for my preference, but this is a good vegan option for anyone in the Poipu vicinity.
FYI, this is behind (or next to) Poipu Tropical Burger near the far back corner of the mall. I had some trouble finding it...

Pros: 1/2 menu is vegan, Tasty sauces

Cons: Default garlic sauce is not vegan

Yum! - Edit

I love this place! The staff is friendly and the vegan dog is great! I love all their relish choices! FYI the garlic sauce isn't vegan.

I have never gone at a peak time (lunch and dinner) so I can't vouch for any lines.

Pros: Friendly staff, yummy food, good service

The best vegan Puka dog! - Edit

After trying both the Waikiki and Poipu locations, the Poipu location wins the vegan hot dog battle! They use Lightlife Smart Dogs which taste better than the Tofurky Beer Brats that I was served in Waikiki. I had my dogs (three dogs in three separate visits in less than 24 hours!) without the secret lemon sauce and they were delicious! My favorite was the mango relish with lilikoi mustard, with the pineapple relish with lilikoi mustard coming in a close second. Only the regular flavor Maui Style chips are vegan; the Maui onion chips have milk in them. My spouse and I come to Kauai every time we're in the islands purely to eat at Puka Dog! Make sure to come before or after lunch/dinner. The line ups are super long at mealtimes, but it's quiet before and after. Once you're done your hot dog, pop next door to the gelato place for a nice cold vegan dessert!

Pros: Best vegan hot dogs, Yummy lemonade

Cons: LONG line-ups at meal times

Delicious! - Edit

Dogs and service were fantastic! Highly recommend this place. My wife thinks I should add that the veggie dog was shorter than bun. Apparently this bugs her :)
Updated from previous review on Friday January 11, 2013

Pros: simple menu, vegan friendly food and staff, homemade lemonade

Cons: small water cups, buns not long enough

Drool - Edit

Found this place last year when we came out to Kauai. This is one place my husband and I couldn't wait to come back to. My husband would eat here everyday if he could. Really great sauces and the veggie dogs are served in a bun pouch so they're not super messy and awkward to eat. Great fresh squeezed lemonade too. There's also a nice area to sit and throw crumbs to the birds and chickens.

Pros: great taste, good size veggie dog, reasonably priced

Cons: small space, usually pretty busy

Vegan-Friendly Dogs with Island Flavor - Edit

I visited a local favorite, Puka Dog, in Poipu Shopping Village. They have a veggie dog that is vegan. Puka Dog has a good FAQ section on their website for all dietary concerns. The garlic lemon secret sauce is not vegan, though, so opt to just get one of their relishes or other condiments. I tried it with the lilikoi mustard on my hot dog which is passion fruit mustard (amazing!). There is a lot of bread on this which is its only downfall. It's also kinda large, so you could definitely split one with somebody for lunch.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2011/09/vegan-kauai-hawaii-part-one.html

Pros: local, vegan-friendly

Cons: small space, long wait at lunch

GREAT Dogs! - Edit

Puka Dog is a haven for vegetarians looking for a tasty and reasonably priced meal on Kauai. After about 4 days I'm craving protein, and Puka Dog is just what the doctor ordered. The sauces and relishes are tasty! I get hot chili pepper sauce with mango relish and Lilikoi mustard. The sauces ooze yummily out of the top of the bun. Sometimes you have to eat it half like an ice cream cone, half like a hot dog. Oh, so Good!!!!!!

The veggie dogs take longer to cook than the polish sausage, so I always yell from the back of the line to the barbeque person - "veggie dog in line - can you start it up?" I also ask for a super-cooked veggie dog. Otherwise it isn't nice and charred like the polish sausage is.

Please ask for the ingredients in the garlic lemon secret sauce. I believe it has dairy in it, so it isn't vegan. But everything else is!

Pros: Absolutely Delicious, The only veg protein within 20 miles, Easy to grab and go

Cons: Can be really crowded, A little messy to eat, You want 10 when you can only hold 1

Awesome dogs! - Edit

My husband and I went here a few times on our honeymoon. We just adored this place! The owner and staff extremely friendly and they just want you to love your puka dog! They will let you sample all of the tropical relishes--and the lilikoi mustard--until you are sure of what you want on your dog.
My husband and I recommend the veggie dog with mild secret sauce (garlic lemon sauce) + pineapple field (pineapple relish) + lilikoi mustard! It's amazing! I wish they sold lilikoi mustard on the mainland!
The relishes offered are: mango, pineapple, papaya, coconut, banana, starfruit, guava, and (typical) sweet pickle.
All dogs cost $7.
They only serve two dogs, one is vegan, the other is polish sausage. Polish sausage is the only thing they serve that is not vegan. All of the tropical relishes and condiments are vegan, as well as the chips.
They only have fresh lemonade and tap water for drinks. But consider yourself warned: the lemonade is made of water, one half (maybe one whole sometimes?) lemon, and a half a cup of sugar! I had the girl make one with only about a teaspoon of sugar, and I could barely taste the lemon; it was more like sugar/water! Although, in their defense, she was new, but she told me that they are advised to use a half cup of sugar in each lemonade.

Pros: unique tasty veggie dogs & sauces, great staff, affordable

Return to Poipu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Puka Dog closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1684 times since Sep 2010.