Public House

734-242-3010

138 N Monroe St (at Elm), Monroe, Michigan, USA, 48162

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegetarian choices that can be made vegan. All food is made-in-house. Staff is accommodating to vegans. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by MeKaraMarie

Better than fast food - Edit

I just can't wait until there are vegan options in every restaurant, so I can appreciate the owner accommodating my boyfriend and myself. They had a lot of vegetarian options, not any real 'vegan' options without modification.
We love the atmosphere of the restaurant, it was warm and cozy on the freezing mid January day even with sitting by the window. They have 'hipster' looking serving techniques I guess. It all is really satisfying to look at IMO.
When I asked about vegan options, the waitress had absolutely no idea of what to say, so she went and told her manager/the owner. He came to our table alone and said he could modify a few things and pointed to a handful and said he has 'vegan bread'. He also said 'you guys would know better than I would' as far as vegan options would go. I'm pretty sure I don't know if you use butter, or any animal products for that matter lol. He was very nice and friendly.
Anyways, as far as food goes: I ordered something they had on special. It was noodles with winter vegetables, artichoke hearts and marinara sauce. It wasn't anything spectacular but it filled me up. The salad was just lettuce and beets & I ordered it with a balsamic dressing which I hoped was vegan but I forgot to ask. My boyfriend got something that is always on the menu, a portobello mushroom sandwich. It usually comes on ciabatta, but we got the vegan bread which was not very good. It would have been muchhhh better on a different bread. The mushroom (which was super tasty) wanted to slide off. The fries are good, the portion of ketchup they gave us was about a tablespoon or two at best.
I'd probably go again just because my boyfriend lives a few blocks away. It was all fairly priced. Better than Taco Bell which is where I usually go if I'm around this way.

Pros: ambiance, friendly staff, wait time

Cons: poor options, staff not knowledgeable of vegan options

Return to Monroe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Public House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.