Pu Xiang Vegetarian

Contact n/a

Blk 335 Smith Street, Stall No.02-144, Chinatown Complex, Central Singapore, Singapore, 050335

Vegetarian stall in China Complex. Chinese name 普香素食. Menu includes fried mee hoon, fried rice, mixed hor fun, sliced "fish" mee hoon, hokkien mee (noodles), shredded "chicken" vermicelli. Mon-Sun 7:00am-2:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by vegan mikal

All great - Edit

I concur with the first reviewer, just updating that it's still the case! Great food, friendly staff, agree that the $2.50 version was more like a snack so I had a second (opportunity to try more flavours!) which I struggled to finish so all round great deal. In a food court so you have the atmosphere of all the other eateries

Get there early! - Edit

The food level at the Chinatown Complex has to be one of the most popular in Singapore. There are so many food stalls that one can easily get lost! We stumbled across this lovely buffet venue after finding another veggie stall (which is a la carte) just a few stalls down from it closed. Little did we know that we had actually struck gold!

All the food, apart from the daily special, is prepared in the morning and stands in the display case (not bain-marie) until sold, so by the time we got there at midday, the food was lukewarm, not hot. However, this is the practice at this type of stall all around Asia, and should not be viewed as dangerous to the diner.

The display case contained a selection of mock-meat dishes, one tofu dish, some vegetable dishes, and a range of deep-fried snacks. Three buffet choices plus rice (white or brown) cost a super-low $2.50, though such a plate would have clearly not been very satisfying for lunch. Therefore, I asked for a sample of all the dishes that took my fancy, and my huge plate cost only $5.20, with some healthy herb broth thrown in for good measure free of charge. Overall, all the food was quite healthy - low in oil, definitely low in sugar (an oft-used ingredient in Asian buffets) - and quite flavorsome.

Most of the people running the stall spoke reasonable English, and we had no problems ordering or finding out the ingredients of our meals. All the food is vegan.

By the time we left at 12.30pm, the food had almost run out. I would recommend coming here for a brunch or an early lunch. There would be little food left by 1.00pm.

Drinks (such as juices) are available all around the complex, local desserts are found on the corner of this level four stalls away, and there is even a fresh tofu dessert stall just nearby.

On the whole, the Chinatown Complex, despite being a mad, 'watch-where-you're-going' kind of place, is a heaven for lovers of meat-free food, whether for a quick snack or a three course meal (sourced from various stalls).
Updated from previous review on Friday August 23, 2013

Pros: Tasty food, English-speaking staff, Very low prices

Cons: Food runs out by 1pm

Return to Central Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pu Xiang Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 912 times since Dec 2009.