Prunus

Contact 075-8622265

9-4, Kurumamichi-cho, Saga Tenryuji, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan, 616-8373

Vegetarian macrobiotic restaurant serving balanced set meals. Mostly vegan, but uses dairy. Located in front of the station. Gluten free menu available. Chef is a macrobiotic cooking instructor and nutritionist. See website for English. Apr 2015 opened after remodeling. Opening hours vary - check website for details.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out

First Review by JimmySeah

So good! - Edit

The food was absolutely delicious! The woman working there was very kind and helpful. An english menu was provided with all the ingredients listed for every item! The location was right next to the station which was perfect for us and it was a nice & relaxing space.

Pros: Amazing food, all ingredients listed

Lovely vegan food - Edit

This restaurant is wonderful. We were very happy to find it. The owner is super kind and friendly. They have a curry plate, and gyoza, and when we were there a bunch of menu items involving little veg sausages, which actually turned out to be quite good. They use a lot of apples (or they did when we were there in late fall), and we got to try some shotglasses of fresh apple cider, and the gyoza had apple in it. So tasty. We also got some little slices of cake and only ate them later, SO GOOD! Would definitely visit here again.

Delicious food in great location - Edit

The food here is delicious. Very recommendable. They have English menu and WiFi and also plugs so one can recharge the cell phones, which is super useful considering one is in Kyoto and taking pictures of everything. The place is simple but calm, it's near the train station and the bamboo groove. The service was great, they are super nice and patient. Loved it and would go back

Pros: Vegan and vegetarian options

Cons: Little kids (less than 7) aren't allowed since the

May need to update their hours - Edit

Unfortunately when we arrived today they were closed!
Both Happy Cow and Google stated 9am, and their own website seemed to say 11-5 only closed Wednesday as their May calendar.
But when we got there, there was a sign on the door that seemed to say closed mondays!
Very disappointing, we were so excited to try it out!

Lovely! - Edit

A cosy and lovely place. The food was really good and the owner was so nice. It's located really close to Saga-Arashiyama station, so you can't miss it!

Pros: Good food, nice service, close to station. Moderat

lovely service and food - Edit

This is a great option if you're exploring the Arashiyama area. I stopped in on my way to the bamboo grove for ramen and gyoza. The ramen was delicious but the gyoza were incredible – I'd highly recommend them.

The lady who served me was very sweet. They give you delicious pearl barley tea (and will keep topping you up). I noticed you could buy a pack of this and I kind of regret not doing that, it was really nice.

Great service and food, convenient location - Edit

I randomly came upon this restaurant walking around Arashiyama. They have excellent food and a wide variety of items that cannot be made vegan in other restaurants (ramen, curry, gyoza, karaage, etc)
They also have a small library of vegan and health books to peruse.

Pros: Close to the station, So many items I couldn't pick, Great service

Cons: The pizza is not vegan, It was really busy and tables filled up quickly

Fabulous - Edit

Fabulous food: ranem, gioza, sushi - absolutely number one! The staff speaks English fluently. Easy access - just of front of station Saga-Arashiyama.

Pros: acceptable cost (2000 JPY), lovely view into the mountains, friendly staff

Delicious - Edit

The food here is amazing. The ramen is delicious, and the soy meat burger that comes with the combo.. I can't believe how good that was. We also got an order of pot stickers and were amazed by how much flavor they had. Would definitely go back if we were in town longer.

The staff was also amazing. They took the time to find out where we were going and showed us on multiple maps different ways to get there, also told us interesting things about where we were going we would have otherwise not known. My favorite vegan restaurant in Japan so far.

Another thing I liked was when I asked about the tea, she brought me a book that explained what it was and the benefits it had for the body. Overall great experience, friendly helpful people and amazing food. If your in the area I highly suggest trying this place.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Helpful staff

When a vegan restaurant magically appears! - Edit

My husband and I had just gotten out of the train station at the Saga-Arashiyama JR Station and were looking for a bike rental place when a sign reading VEGAN in big letters caught my eye. It felt like a mirage! I couldn't believe my eyes. We looked at the menu and were set on returning for lunch after sightseeing for a bit. When we returned we were not disappointed. Service was great, the soy meat and gyoza were delicious and the price was right for the all organic ingredients and the fact that everything is prepared upon ordering. Definitely a must when traveling to Arashiyama. (And absolutely do rent bikes! It is the best way for getting around the area which is quite large.)

Pros: great service , lovely view , delicious food

Charming all round - Edit

Apparently run by two sisters, one of whom served us and was friendly and chatted with us in English. They clearly put a lot of care into their food, sourcing the best quality ingredients they can find. Lists of ingredients for each dish are included on the English menu.
I walked in off the street and ordered one of the set menu options: fried gyozas, gingery soy nuggets, pickled veges, endame beans, etc, and Japanese apple juice. And a free cup of kidney-tonic tea. All was lovely!

Pros: Healthy, high-quality food, Friendly, helpful service, Mountain view

What a great restaurant! delicious food - Edit

Located right in front of the JR train station in Arashiyama. We went there for lunch and the food was delicious. The owner speaks very good English and the menu was also in English.
We had a bowl of rice with 'soy-chicken' and some vegan sushi rolls, it was great. Free Wifi was also available.
We were very happy we found this restaurant, would definitely go there again and I recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

Pros: Great Food, English menu and owner speaks English, Perfect location

Cons: none

Amazing vegan food - Edit

The cafe is right by the jr station in Arashiyama. The hostess was lovely and spoke very good English which made it easy to order. I believe the menu is completely vegan. My fiancé and I shared a plate of sushi, fried 'chicken' made out of soy meat and gyoza. Everything was delicious. We will definitely be going back there. Highly recommended

Pros: Excellent food, Good price , Friendly staff

Unexpected find, glad to have visited. - Edit

Doing the gaijin thing at arishiyama, hopped off the JR line and was greeted by a sign on the side of the road in big pink letters 'Vegan'
Much to my surprise I now didn't have to worry about finding something for lunch!

I was greeted by a lovely lady who spoke great English and was mid photo shoot with some delicious looking gyoza! I had been hoping to find vegan dumplings and here they were!

There are several lunch sets to choose from, with the vegan options very clearly marked.

I went with the option that got me sushi, gyoza and seasoned fruits and vegetables, also got the apple juice which stated it wasn't from concentrate!

The sushi absolutely blew my mind, there were 6 serves with 2 different flavours. One had a fantastic sesame flavour and the other I couldn't quite put my finger in but that didn't stop me enjoying it.

The menu listed the gyoza ingredients, with which there was well over ten.
Very flavourful, I had left these till last so the had gone abit cold, but that's my own fault.
Was trying to save the best for last!
Miso soup was delicious and roasted veggies were also very welcome.

As I was only in arishiyama for the day I didn't have the chance to go back but for any vegan/vego this is an absolute must.

Pros: Clearly marked English menus, Great staff and atmosphere , Food was delicious

Delicious lunch set - Edit

Prunus is located right by the train and is a great stop if you are visiting the bamboo grove or monkey park. The owner was very sweet and attentive. The lunch set was the perfect meal - it included delicious veggie sushi, savory gyoza, a great miso soup, edamame and tea. Would recommend a visit.

Amazing! - Edit

I recently travelled to Japan and found the food a bit challenging. My tour guide found Prunus as a vegetarian option for me. The restaurant is on the third floor of a small building, overlooking a charming little business district and the train station located one street over. The food was amazing. I chose veggie dumplings, which had a delightful chewy texture, stuffed with a cabbage mix with a dipping soy/vinegar dipping sauce. The meal also and with with veggie sushi, stuffed with carrot/cuke and a surprise piece of walnut. There was a light miso soup and a side dish of potato salad, both of which were delicious. The meal was beautiful, filling, without leaving me feeling stuffed, and made me feel energized. My guide enjoyed the veggie meat option as well. The place is run by two sisters, and deserves to be a popular restaurant, so please, if you are in Kyoto, make a point of visiting this amazing restaurant!

Pros: Excellent food, Small,cozy vibe, Convenient location

Cons: Tucked away, may be tricky to find

surprise, vegan food! - Edit

Was just on my way back to the station to train off to some far off vegan restaurant when the glorious V E G A N shone through those Omni-clouds. Had some kick ass gyoza and some sushi.
One piece of sushi had nato in it and I'm still gagging at the thought of it.
Not the restaurants fault though that nato is so naaaaasty.

Great food, great value - Edit

My family and I, vegetarians, were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful quality and variety at Prunus. We had their pumpkin soup, spaghetti, gyoza (I loved it!) and brown rice with chickpea curry. I'd recommend this place to anyone visiting Arashiyama. Its all right if you drop in without a reservation.

Pros: Very close to JR Saga Arashiyama station, Specials change frequently, Host speaks fluent english

Beautiful food in a beautiful setting - Edit

We went for breakfast here after reading the reviews but were still impressed despite having high expectations. The waitress is lovely and the food is so fresh. I highly recommend you go there. We went back for lunch because it was just too good.
We had the taco salad and the fried noodles for breakfast and came back for the gyoza lunch special. Each dish was presented beautifully and was so delicious.
The waitress gave us some tea before and after our meal and sent us off with some amazing savoury cake - you have to try some!

Pros: Fantastic and reasonably priced food, Lovely staff, Beautiful view

Delicious vegan food at convenient location - Edit

This was our third visit to Prunus. We went there every time we visited Kyoto, after finding it on Happy Cow. It is diagonally opposite JR Arashiyama station.

The food came in a visually appealing set and had a variety of cooking style, and all were very delicious. It's served with tea and healthy dessert too. The menu listed all the ingredients used so you can be sure of what you are munching.

My mom and kid said that it was the best meal that we had eaten during the trip.

The view from the restaurant was excellent as it has big glass windows. One could enjoy the street views and mountain view while savouring yummy and healthy food. We were elated to see a full raindow from Prunus' window this round!

The friendly owner Yuka speaks good English and explained to us the effects of different food and how cooking and combination of food changed their properties. She could tell that my kid's digestion is weak and suggested food suitable for his condition. That's marvelous!

I'll definitely come back to Prunus again!

Pros: near JR Arashiyama Station, appealing, delicious and healthy food, nice window view

Vegan & delicious - Edit

Location : across the street from the JR train station Saga Arashiyama. There's a clearly visible sign on the building and a menu board next to the entrance . Take stairs to 3rd floor.

Menu & ambiance: we came for lunch. There are 4 sets, with a delicious barley tea, soup, choice of rice or bread, chick pea galette , pickled veg. Western style tables and chairs, wide windows with a great view of the hills and the people strolling out of the station.
It's an easy walk to sights in Arashiyama, such as the Ohkohchi-Sanso villa and garden, reached by the Bamboo Forest walkway.

Pros: Vegan , Easy to find, Informative website

happy to find - Edit

I read about Prunus and disappointedly expected it to be closed as it was a Monday but was thrilled to find it open, they explained that it's the high season (late September). The sisters who run it were friendly and spoke some English and everything was delicious. They even gave us seconds of the tasty agar jelly dessert. It made our day in Arashiyama perfect.

Yuka Izumida Thank you for your kind comment for Prunus. The dessert is made from Kuzu starch & Kanten, sea vegetable gelatin. Kuzu is the most medicinal for the intestines. Animal food damages the villie on the wall of the intestines. Kuzu attaches the wall of the intestines gently, giving it moisture & nutrition, which keep the intestines warm. Then the villi grow again. Kanten is helpful to detox the accumurated excess food from the intestines. I will increase the helpful info on my web site. Please take a look sometimes & share the info for your people. I will introduce the new info on my FB page named 'Macrobiotics in Japan' every time I make a new page on the web site.

Super owner and super food - Edit

A wonderful owner, who is really helpful and very interesting in her explanation. She and her sister are passionate about what they are doing, and you can feel it. Of course, the food is excellent =)

Thank you very much !

The three French girls

Pros: Very nice owner , Nice food !, Nice location

Yuka Izumida Hi, three adorable French girls. I am happy to know you liked our food. Thank you so much for your helpful comment for Prunus. I've started FB page in English two months ago. I introduce a new article on FB every time I add a new page on my web site. I'll share all what I've learned from my macrobiotic teachers, Mr. & Mrs. Ohmori. Mr. Ohmori was the founder of the Vegan-Macrobiotics in 1957. Please make use of his study. To be a healthy & sound vegan both in body & mind, one needs good knowledge of cooking. `Macrobiotics in Japan' is the name of my FB page.
I will introduce the macrobiotics for modern people's needs. Thank you for your kind comment for Prunus. The dessert is made from Kuzu starch & Kanten, sea vegetable gelatin. Kuzu is the most medicinal for the intestines. Animal food damages the villie on the wall of the intestines. Kuzu attaches the wall of the intestines gently, giving it moisture & nutrition, which keep the intestines warm. Then the villi grow again. Kanten is helpful to detox the accumurated excess food from the intestines. I will increase the helpful info on my web site. Please take a look sometimes & share the info for your people. I will introduce the new info on my FB page named 'Macrobiotics in Japan' every time I make a new page on the web site.

Very helpful owner and good food - Edit

We came here for dinner, but HappyCow is incorrect in listing it as starting at 5:30pm. At least the day we went there, it closed for the day at 6pm and we arrived at 6:10pm. A very helpful resident of the building knocked on their door and one of the owners came out and let us sit for dinner even though it was closed. That was very nice.

The food was tasty and we appreciated that it was Japanese and not Italian or American because vegan Japanese food is very good. It's quite easy to find in major US cities, but surprisingly difficult in Japan because of their use of fish sauce in most dishes.

We recommend the restaurant, it is good, and as an added benefit, easy to find.

Yuka Izumida Thank you so much for your kind post about our restaurant.It is very helpful for both of us and the visitors in Japan. Well..,actually, HappyCow's information is not incorrect. In the long explanation about the restaurant they say,"Dinner starts at 5:30 and requires appointments one day in advance." But in the short explanation about the opening hours under it, they say, "dinner 5:30~" So you weren't wrong, either. In order not to make people misunderstand, I will change the info about us. I will erase the info about us & write "Prunus has the website written in English. Please check it."
Japan has many traditional plant based food. We look forward to serving you them someday.

Not your old school macro! - Edit

Delicious macrobiotic restaurant located almost directly in front of Arashiyama station. Run by two darling sisters from Tohoku, the fare is strictly vegan and much tastier than the typical 1970s macro menus found elsewhere. Highly recommended!

Yuka Izumida We deeply appreciate your supporting Prunus and informing people of the latest macrobiotic information which would be helpful for them whatever diet they may choose.To replay your such great kindness for everyone & us, we will update what we have learned from the two best macrobiotic teachers who have been devoting their life since 1940s.Please take a look at our website a week later.We look forward to seeing you & serving our chef's original menu that would suit each of your need.

Nice food and conveniently location - Edit

The food is delicious and owner is very friendly. After the meal, she gave us travel tips around Arashiyama.

This cafe is located just outside the south gate of Saga Arashiyama station.

The map on Happy Cow is wrong. Pls update/use this location http://goo.gl/maps/QNZuy

Pros: Healthy Food , Friendly staff, Very good location

Cons: Portion is a bit small.

2 Responses

YukaIzumida Thank you for visiting Japan. It is very nice to see the customers from all over the world relax and enjoy the meal at Prunus. The prices of organic pruducts are 'super expensive' in Japan. But we've decided to adopt your 'Cons' and serve larger veggie hamburger. It is very kind of you to mention the location's convinience of Prunus.
I think that Prunus is the easiest restaurant for people to find in Japan. It is especially helpful for visitors from overseas. See you!

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Prunus closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7023 times since May 2012.