Princess Yan

n/a

Star Life Plaza, Shuicheng Road, Changning District (at Hongqiao Road), Shanghai, China

Chinese vegetarian hot pot restaurant with vegan options. Opened Jan 2016. Very expensive. NOTE: please send exact map coordinates to HappyCow.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Asian

First Review by reuven

Great service, very good food, extremely expensive - Edit

I went to Princess Yan (Yan Ge-Ge, in Chinese) after seeing it mentioned here on Happy Cow. I love hot pot, and there's a limited number of vegetarian hot pot places.

The restaurant is a bit hard to find; it's on the 2nd floor (or is it 3rd floor?) of a shopping center. There are some signs (in Chinese) pointing to it from the escalators, but you should expect that no one will know it from the English name, and very few will even know that there's a vegetarian place around.

The decor is very nice, albeit with some music and a very large video screen showing scenes of ocean life. The service was exceptionally good, but it was 100% in Chinese, including the menu.

I didn't see any serious indications that it was vegetarian, but I asked the greeter and waitress repeatedly, and they assured me that it was indeed vegetarian, and perhaps even vegan.

I got hot pot with a variety of mushrooms and other things. I got the spicy hot pot, after telling the waitress that I like things "relatively spicy." Wow, that was super-crazy spicy; I ended up ordering some rice to cool down my mouth.

The pot was huge and beautiful, and it even came with a lovely hourglass (filled with purple sand) to indicate when the food would be ready. There were upper and lower areas, for the vegetables vs. the soup part, a distinction that was new to me.

There's no doubt that the food, service, and decor were all lovely. And yet... when the bill came for 300 RMB, I was a bit surprised. I've paid far less for vegetarian hot pot in the past, and it wasn't any less delicious.

The listing says that Princess Yan takes credit cards. They do, but only domestic Chinese credit cards; even foreign cards with a chip are not accepted.

I had a great time, and will probably visit them again in the future as a special treat. But I feel like the price could be much lower, and have to wonder how much longer they'll remain in business with such high prices.

Pros: Delicious, Excellent service

Cons: Hard to find, Very expensive, No foreign credit cards

Return to Shanghai Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Princess Yan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.