Pranah Cafe

Contact n/a

120 Riddiford Street, Newtown, Wellington, New Zealand,

Under new ownership in 2011, this is a vegetarian cafe. Has tofu burger, soba noodle salad, quesadilla, french toast, and more. Eat-in or take away in biodegradable utensils and packaging. There is no phone as the cafe does not take bookings. The walls inside features rotating art exhibits. Main kitchen closes 2 hours prior to cafe closing. Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm, Sat 9:00am-4:30pm, Sun 10:00am-4:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out

First Review by loubee

Delicious Vegan Food - Edit

I love Pranah Café. I've been visiting the café for a couple of years now and have never been disappointed with their vegan food. I also buy a whole mushroom/spinach tarte to take home for lunch guests now and then. Everyone is always impressed and it feeds 10 people at least with good size portions.
It's better to have an early lunch as they can sell out. everything is made fresh daily.

Pros: good variety of vegan options, tasty food, Fantastically, friendly staff

Cons: -

The baked good are the gates to heaven. - Edit

I went here today for the first time and we tried a few different things. The food sent me straight to heaven. I will definitely back for the extensive vegan options.

Pros: amazing vegan options, delicious, DELICIOUS

Good vegan cafe - Edit

My favourite dish here is the satay tofu pies, they are delicious.
There's often new things to try here and it's a great place to stop in for brunch/lunch.

Always good value for money here.

Tasty Pranah - Edit

Yum! I went for the first time the other day and Pranah is fab! There are so many delicious vegan options. We both got a bit carried away and ordered lots. I got the pineapple-ginger smoothie, the satay mushroom pie, and my friend and I shared the date and walnut slice... So, so good! I noticed they also had a lot of gluten free items too. The environment was a laid back cafe style, and the service was friendly.

Pros: lots of vegan yum!

Great place to have an early breakfast - Edit

My problem there - I want to try so much. This time I went for Mexican beany quesadillas (they conveniently made a vegan version for me) with a big portion of cabbage salad (helped myself to a bit of extra salt), and though I am not a big lover of beans (I'm just curious to try things), it all went down very nicely with a big glass of apple juice. Then I just wanted to keep on trying other things labeled vegan, but I had to make room for the sweet options, and again I had to select just a few rather than try them all: 2 apricot & walnut cakes with 2 first rate strong long blacks to keep me alert - perfect.

Update: tried other vegan pies & sweet options since - all very enjoyable (raspberry brownie & muffin I think are the best I've eaten anywhere).

Pros: Lots of vegan choices.

Cons: Can't think of any.

I love this cafe! - Edit

We visited this cafe twice during our 2 ½ day visit to Wellington, and also got take aways for the day we were on a tour! It's that good! The vegan items are clearly marked and there are plenty to choose from. What's more, they are all scrumptious! The muffins were different each day, fruity, moist and with a thin crispy sprinkling of sugar baked on top. Mmmm. The mushroom pie and the satay tofu pie were huge, delicious and sustaining. The salad was perfectly fresh and tasty and not doused in oil, just right. The coffee was great, as were the cakes. My hubbie seemed to enjoy his tofu burger, as it disappeared before I got a taste. My only regret is that we did not have time to try everything. The staff were also very friendly and nice.

This cafe is listed in Newtown, but should also be listed in Wellington, as it is only a 10 minute drive from the centre of town.

It was busy every time we went, but we were lucky to get a table straight away. If you're not so lucky, it is worth the wait.

Pros: Food is delicious, Food is fresh, Vegan options clearly marked

Yummy - Edit

Delicious pancakes are a must have! Lots of fresh salads, pies, etc., relying on fresh vegetables and not TVP. Some items have on occasion have been rather one-dimensional or stodgy, but overall it's probably the best vege cafe in Wellington.

Pros: Fresh and tasty food, Groovy ambience

Weekend favourite! - Edit

Great food, whole foods used in inventive ways, and good (fairtrade) coffee. Bliss. I wish it was bigger so we didn't all have to squeeze into tiny tables but that's my only complaint. VISIT THEM.

Pros: Vegan options, whole foods, delish

Cons: small

Ate here in nov 09, so review might be out of date - Edit

We stopped in this little place while enjoying our trip to New Zealand. I was going through some photos I found and remembered how cute and quaint it was. Its in a very artsy street with lots of shops. The restaurant was very popular and crowded. We had the almond pancakes and they were pretty fantastic. Its definitely worth going for breakfast.

eco & veg friendly cafe - Edit

Pranah is a funky cafe with two points of difference: firstly, it's all vegetarian; secondly, they're a sustainable business, with composting, eco-packaging, fair trade and organic products, etc. The weekday menu is very brief - about 6 options - but most of those can be made vegan if asked (the weekend menu is all eggs so I skipped it). The burger is tasty, full of flavorsome tofu and salad. The pancakes are also very good, with plenty of fruit and syrup accompanying. However, it's the counter food which is most exciting. When I went most recently, they had the following vegan options: tofu curry pies, two salads, a lentil bake, cornish pasties, carrot cake, baklava, banana muffins, ginger truffles, apple strudel, choc-chip cookies and apricot-almond cookies. Bear in mind that they often do sell out of their vegan goodies, so it pays to come in the morning or early afternoon.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 05, 2011

Pros: Heaps of vegan options, Environmentally conscious business, Funky atmosphere

Cons: Vegan options run out over the day, Few tables

Good place and good for vegans - Edit

I was staying in Newtown and was surprised to find a place with so many vegan options close to my place. The menu doesn't have many vegan options BUT they do have many displayed, from baklava to cakes. So it's worth to visit

Pros: Many vegan options, Fair priced, Friendly staff

Cons: Expensive juices for bottled sugary juices

Good for a quick lunch - Edit

I liked this place as soon as I walked in the door. It's a hip little cafe. I was pleased with the selection in the case. The vegan food is clearly marked and most of it was. I got a giant samosa and salad and my partner got a stuffed potato. It was filling and tasty. The lady behind the counter was very friendly and pleasant. Prices were inexpensive.

Pros: Service, Healthy Options, Quantity for price

Cons: Very small and not many tables

Pranah Cafe - Edit

Nice restaurant, but beware, not all the food is available at all times. I went there just after 3pm on a Sunday and the guy there told me that the tofu burgers were only available until 2:30pm. The food selection also seems too "new-agey" and not what you'd expect in a regular restaurant.

Pros: tofu burgers

Cons: food not always available, no fake meat

Pranah - Edit

I was quite excited to see this vegetarian cafe open but I've been there about four times now and found that the food was mediocre and a little more pricey than I'd want to pay. Having said that the place was always crowded and most people seemed to be enjoying their meals. Most people seemed to get the eggs. A lot of their food is vegetarian rather than vegan and they take stuff out to make it vegan. Therefore I have a theory that they don't really know how to cook for vegans. Most of the meals that I got there were so bland I'm not even sure what I got. But there was an exception which was a great tofu/noodle salad. It was vegan rather than veganised. I will probably not go there again even though I do like to support vegetarian restaurants. But I also don't like to go somewhere where I can cook better food myself.

Pros: Good Artwork

Great place for veges and vegans - Edit

Great range of food - all vegetarian and vegan plus some gluten-free options. Mostly cafe/brunch type food. Fair trade organic coffee. I counted 12 brunch options for vegans (the most I've seen in a Wellington cafe). Can fill up at weekends as it is fairly small. Can recommend the scrambled tofu and the banana and almond pancakes.

Return to Wellington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pranah Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3447 times since Aug 2007.