First Review by lemurcat

Pleasant little "Test Kitchen" - Edit

This was a cute little restaurant with very friendly staff, even though her English was minimal. I picked what turned out to be a vegetable curry. The curry was quite good, but could have been more flavorful. Also, there was no major source of protein, so I was still hungry afterwards. For dessert, I had some type of cake with berries in it. It was yummy, although slightly dry, and I was excited to have found vegan dessert.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan dessert

Cons: Meal lacking protein, Small portion, No English menu

Fantastic Food and funky style - Edit

I unfortunately only discovered this place 6 months into a year living in Osaka. Ate there quite a lot once we knew about it. This place is very funky and serves "alive" quality food. You know when you can tell the food is fresh, clean and vital...that's what they serve you here. A little more expensive than some of my other regulars (Greens in Osakako and Green Earth in Hommachi) but real quality...and the presentation is amazing...it's a great dining experience. Fantastic flavours compared to other macro places I've tried. Can be a bit slow to receive the meal but well worth the wait, so leave yourself plenty of time for a relaxed meal and allow the extra prep time to get your digestive juices flowing and spirit fed. The cafe is NOT ALL VEGAN as mentioned in the post...they do usually have at least one fish dish on the lunch set menu, other than that it's vegan, I believe. Watch out non-dog lovers cos the owners have a couple of poodle looking dogs hanging out in the cafe. Very calm and friendly tho.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 01, 2011

Pros: vitality of food, atmosphere, full dining experience

Cons: prep can be a little slow, dogs inside

Nice place for lunch - Edit

We went here just a few hours ago and had a really lovely meal. We hadn't read the reviews before going (our internet connection was slow, so we just got the address and map) and were surprised when we read them, as it almost doesn't sound like the same place. There were no signs of dogs, nor was there an upstairs or downstairs:

We got to Prana around 1 o'clock on a Sunday; We were the first people there. The two women working did not speak much English and the menu was only in Japanese. We ordered the set lunch and the curry. Both were excellent and we did not wait long at all. For dessert, we had coconut muffins and a brownie. All delicious, but we like macrobiotic and healthy baking, so those who like super sweet desserts might not like them so much.

The cafe started to fill up by the time we finished. It still had a nice peaceful atmosphere. The prices were reasonable. My set lunch which was quite large and came with rice and miso soup was 930 and my husbands curry and salad set was 850. We live in China and this is slightly cheaper than what we would pay for the same type of lunch there. It was the cheapest vegetarian set lunch we had during our week in Japan.

Pros: good value, nice atmosphere, great food

Cons: no English menu

Not bad at all:) - Edit

Fed up with salads from convenient stores every day, I wanted to eat "real food". After walked around blocks, unsuccessfully finding anything, I decided to give Prana a try. Luckily, the hotel I stayed was in the same neighborhood, AND happened to be only a couple of blocks away from this restaurant. Since the 2 previous reviews weren't sounding too good, I wasn't expecting anything positive when I initially stepped into this restaurant. As I walked upstairs, I saw this Japanese sign with photos of 3 dogs saying "We are in this premises" posted by the door. I guess I should be aware of them. OK, no problem, I'm ready. As I walked further toward the door, I saw one set of table & chairs on the top of stairs which is right outside the door of this restaurant. There, I noticed that this huge dog was sphynxing but surprisingly this dog did not come out to get me or seem to even move at all. It was almost lunch time, maybe these pooches were already fed? Or maybe I was lucky on this day, I didn't get the "pooch attack" like the previous reviewer was mentioning. First thing I saw when I walked through the door was that this counter with plates and plates filled with tasty-looking appetizers, salads etc. 2 staffs who were working behind this counter politely greeted me as soon as I walked in. They were very courteous. One of them asked me if anywhere I wanted to be seated. My time was limited on this day, also I wasn't sure what to order, I decided to get a to-go. I asked this lady what she'd recommend. She first asked me if I ever visited the restaurant before. When I said "no", she recommend me a bento-box which consists of: salad, rice, and 7 small portions of side dishes. I decided to go with her recommendation. While waiting for the food, the lady asked me if I want vinaigrette on the salad or on the side. Since I knew that I'd eat it right away as soon as I get back into my hotel, I said "OK" on the salad. I believe I waited 10 minutes or so(maybe shorter but felt like forever because I was really starving!) until I got called. I picked up the lunch-box, paid 980 yen(including tax), and happily walked out from the restaurant. Not to mention that I simply dig in as soon as I returned to my room and cleaned all off of this bento box. They were all soooo yummy. My overall experience at this restaurant was not bad at all. If dogs would definitely bother you, then your option should be getting a to-go like I did. I'd definitely return if I visit Osaka again.

Pros: Good Value, Helpful staffs

Cons: Dogs? Although I didn't get pooch attack

Only visit if you are an EXTREME dog lover! - Edit

I don't like to write a bad review, and I am so torn as to whether I should post this or not. However our visit to Prana was certainly one of the lows of an absolutely magnificent 2 weeks in Japan.

When we arrived, we noticed a large dog in a basket. We were surprised, but I felt it impolite to leave. We were greeted by a lovely Japanese lady who spoke excellent with an extremely thick Kiwi accent. We sat down in the downstairs area as we thought we we the only patrons and thought it would be easier for the staff.

As I was chatting to the waitress, the dog came over and licked my glass of water. The waitress saw this, but did not replace my glass. Then we waited an extraordinary length of time for our food. When the food did finally arrive, the dog ran in under my legs, under the table etc. I apologised and said that I could not eat there and would like to move upstairs.

We moved upstairs and then waited an additional 10 minutes for our food. In that time, we we offered menus again. I have NO idea what happened to our food in that 10 minutes.

It would have to be the SLOWEST meal we had in our entire meal in 17 days in Japan. This is NOT a cultural thing. Whilst downstairs, we noticed a LOT of Japanese customers enter, see the dogs (more arrive) and hesitated about coming in. One woman refused to walk past the dog as it was blocking her path to the bathroom. A staff member moved the dog's bedding and then returned to the kitchen - she DID NOT wash her hands.

The dogs roamed around the restaurant freely - entering the kitchen on numerous occasions.

I was EXTREMELY close to walking out when our food finally arrived. The surprising and most frustrating thing about the entire experience was that the food was excellent.

Pros: Food, Presentation, Staff

Cons: Dogs on Premises, SLOW, a little Pricey

Good but can't replace Maman Terrace - Edit

The food is good, but a bit on the expensive side. The vegetables change with the season but the menu doesn't seem to change. The desserts I have tried did not impress me.

Pros: friendly staff, food is good, nice decor

Cons: desserts not as good, slightly expensive

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Prana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2954 times since Jul 2009.