Powerplant Superfood Cafe

323-965-2233

5671 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, California, USA, 90019

Serves fish, vegan options available. Pescatarian menu with vegetarian food and fish. On the menu are tempeh sandwiches, vegan "tuna" salad, plus pasta, and baked goods. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-6:00pm, Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by kenvegan

Quaint cafe, good food - Edit

This place has several vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options. The default options are vegan. We had the French toast which was excellent. It came with poached pears and walnuts. Side of pumpkin maple syrup and tempeh bacon. We also had a chocolate brownie which was delicious. Service was good. There is outside seating, too, so we enjoyed the outdoors.

good food slow service - Edit

I am not someone that's generally in a rush but be advised, every time I go here for a smoothie I wait about 10-15 minutes (without anyone ahead of me).

Powerplant became an immediate favorite! - Edit

This place is AMAZING (the food, the people, the other customers), it's like a gathering place for good vibes. I would give it five stars, but Happy Cow only allows a maximum of four stara for non-vegetarian restaurants (and although Powerplant has many vegan options, it isn't strictly vegan, unfortunately, or even vegetarian - they have some seafood... but I don't hold it against them.. lol..)

The owners' love for this place, passion for food, and appreciation of the customers, is apparent in every step of the dining experience. I plan on visiting Powerplant as often as possible!

Pros: HEALTHY food, DELICIOUSNESS galore, AMBIANCE like a big hug

Delicious Organic Food / Small Portions - Edit

Although I prefer to frequent all-vegan restaurants, Powerplant Superfood Cafe is just a few miles away, so I took my bike to the restaurant tonight.

The place is quite small, but cozy, with just a few indoor tables and one or two outdoor tables. My waitress was very kind and helpful, and suggested as a vegan I order the vegan chili and the tempeh reuben.

The chili was quite good. Not the best vegan chili I have had, but it was tasty. I then tried the tempeh reuben. For twelve dollars, I was expecting something larger. When the a woman at the restaurant explained that everything was USDA Certified Organic and local, I realized that the higher prices for smaller portions was justified. The reuben was flavorful, with marinated tempeh, sauerkraut, and a delighful creamy sauce. Don't expect to order vegan cheese at a restaurant like this. One of the owners mentioned that they do not serve any processed foods.

Being that the chili and tempeh reuben were just not enough food for my decent appetite, the waitress recommended I try the "Tuna" sandwich. I enjoyed this even more than the reuben. Unlike other vegan tuna sandwiches I have ordered at other restaurants that use a soy-based tuna, Powerplant uses a chickpea based "tuna" with a creamy sauce. I really enjoyed the flavors and texture of this sandwich, and everything I ordered was very wholesome.

For dessert, I had a maple doughnut. This wasn't a fried-type of doughnut that you might get at a traditional bakery, but a baked doughnut. The doughnuts here are also quite small, but being that I am not a dessert person, the size was definitely large enough for me.

Perhaps I am just so used to larger American portions. These portions are more Euro sizes.

I wouldn't recommend you eat at this restaurant if you have a big appetite unless you are looking to spend over 30 dollars for your meal. I definitely would recommend Powerplant if you are looking for a delicious, organic, wholesome vegan meal, or if you are with "health-minded" non-vegans.

Pros: Organic Food, Friendly Staff, No heavily processed food

Cons: Small Portions

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Powerplant Superfood Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.